Rantings of a dissappointed fan

I'm sitting here in the hotel room just pondering what went wrong today. As others have said, it appears that most of the pieces are here yet we seem to be missing something. We seem so close but yet so far. What is the intangible that's absent from the Bills psyche that will allow us to finally get over the top? That "something" is the difference between 8-8 and the playoffs. I simply don't know what it is. Intensity, playmakers, leaders or maybe all three? It's horrifically painful waiting through the offseason, watching every move we make only to be stuck in the same place. I said to AiO halfway through the game that I had to force the emotion for this game and that mistique that I once knew as a Bills fan is all but lost.

All I know is that I have this empty semi-naseaus feeling knowing that we should have won this game and didn't. I'm not sure I can take another season of his kind of emptiness.

You're right Mark, it definitely was worse being there. If it wasn't for the TBD'ers, opening day would have been a horrific experience

Mike,

How would rate the crowd's enthusiasm from the beginning of the game? I listened on satellite radio during my 9-hour drive today, and it didn't sound like a typical opening day. Would you say the enthusiasm was below normal at the Ralph, considering it was opening day?

Mike,

How would rate the crowd's enthusiasm from the beginning of the game? I listened on satellite radio during my 9-hour drive today, and it didn't sound like a typical opening day. Would you say the enthusiasm was below normal at the Ralph, considering it was opening day?

28164[/snapback]

Let me just say that I have a sore throat. :blink:

Mike,

28164[/snapback]

I though people were too laid back. Maybe it was the heat, but lately the Bills crowds, in my opinion, have lost their intensity. You used to never have tell the crowds to stand up and cheer. Now people yell "sit down" because you're blocking their view, like they're watching TV or something.

PTR

Mike,

28164[/snapback]

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 5.5

After the first 2 series the crowd quieted down considerably. Remember when opposing offenses could not hear themselves think for each and every play? Not a problem today unless it was an obvious big play. Then of course the moronic wave going when we were on offense, with the team pleading for people to sit down :blink:

I said to AiO halfway through the game that I had to force the emotion for this game and that mistique that I once knew as a Bills fan is all but lost.

All I know is that I have this empty semi-naseaus feeling knowing that we should have won this game and didn't.  I'm not sure I can take another season of his kind of emptiness.

28155[/snapback]

Well said...and I feel your pain believe me...

Your comments concerning the forced emotion hit especially close to Home with me. I've said so on this Board for months now that I have no idea why, but something broke in me last year. Most of the time when I write things like that on TSW I have to deal with the usual "Your not a real Fan" comments and so on. Of coarse that does not bother me much, I'd say 38 years, a dozen near strokes, and about a million dollars in paraphernalia qualifies Me as a true Fan no matter what anyone says...But anyway, there is definitely something about this Team, and this Teams Leadership that is lacking and I'm sure most Bills Fans are feeling it now.

As for me I spent the entire Off Season preparing for exactly this type of disappointment. And while it still hurts, it's no where near as bad as it was last year because although I think this could easily be a 10-6 Playoff Team, I realize it could just as easily be a 6-10 Team once again. I used to block out that type of negative outlook concerning my beloved Bills...but no more...

After the first 2 series the crowd quieted down considerably. Remember when opposing offenses could not hear themselves think for each and every play? Not a problem today unless it was an obvious big play.

I was wondering what the hell was going on up there about halfway through the 3rdqrtr.

Of course while I was sitting here bemoaning the fact that the 12thman had taken the day off, Don Criqui started babbling on about how loud it was! This of course was followed by some camera shots of the RalphResidents sitting there doing nothing :-)

Mike,

28164[/snapback]

As Jay said, after the first two series it became much quieter. Moorman's punt and Drew's TD to Mould's brought the noise back up but that was temporary.

I can't prove this but it sounded to me like they were pumping sound in late in the third and early in the fourth quarter. It sounded to me like there was definitely some enhancement to the crowd noice coming out of the speakers.

It's not just about noise though. To me it's like there is almost a palpable sense of dread that we're going to do something stupid to lose the game. I think it's permeating the fans and we're just waiting for the disaster. Perhaps last seasons disembowling after such a promising start is partly to blame.

Oh, and the morons doing the wave when we had the ball was a stroke of pure idiocy.

As Jay said, after the first two series it became much quieter.  Moorman's punt and Drew's TD to Mould's brought the noise back up but that was temporary.

I can't prove this but it sounded to me like they were pumping sound in late in the third and early in the fourth quarter.  It sounded to me like there was definitely some enhancement to the crowd noice coming out of the speakers.

It's not just about noise though.  To me it's like there is almost a palpable sense of dread that we're going to do something stupid to lose the game.  I think it's permeating the fans and we're just waiting for the disaster.  Perhaps last seasons disembowling after such a promising start is partly to blame. 

Oh, and the morons doing the wave when we had the ball was a stroke of pure idiocy.

28183[/snapback]

I sat there in the 3rd saying "why are we only up by 4 points?" We've lost that killer instinct is what it is. Remember "Hammer Time"? When you just keep pounding on 'em til you can't see the head of the nail in the wood? I do. But the team doesn't.

28183[/snapback]

I noticed that when Mike Williams and Travis Henry coming back to huddle were waving to the fans to keep the noise down....i found it weird that the fans got louder...I thought for a second we were in Jacksonville....

I noticed that when Mike Williams and Travis Henry coming back to huddle were waving to the fans to keep the noise down....i found it weird that the fans got louder...I thought for a second we were in Jacksonville....

28221[/snapback]

Doing the wave indicates to me the majority of the fans at RWS were morons.

Doing the wave while the Bills were on offense indicates they were 'effing' morons.

I'm sitting here in the hotel room just pondering what went wrong today.  As others have said, it appears that most of the pieces are here yet we seem to be missing something.  We seem so close but yet so far.  What is the intangible that's absent from the Bills psyche that will allow us to finally get over the top?  That "something" is the difference between 8-8 and the playoffs.  I simply don't know what it is.  Intensity, playmakers, leaders or maybe all three?  It's horrifically painful waiting through the offseason, watching every move we make only to be stuck in the same place.  I said to AiO halfway through the game that I had to force the emotion for this game and that mistique that I once knew as a Bills fan is all but lost.

All I know is that I have this empty semi-naseaus feeling knowing that we should have won this game and didn't.  I'm not sure I can take another season of his kind of emptiness.

You're right Mark, it definitely was worse being there.  If it wasn't for the TBD'ers, opening day would have been a horrific experience

28155[/snapback]

AMEN! Mikey. <_<

Of coarse that does not bother me much, I'd say 38 years, a dozen near strokes, and about a million dollars in paraphernalia qualifies Me as a true Fan no matter what anyone says...

28180[/snapback]

Don't you mean "memorabilia"?? Be careful, you may catch a bogus drug charge.... <_< Sorry man. Just trying to lighten the mood a little.

Your big players are paid Big $$ for a reason. It's to make plays when the game is on the line. Clements has been consistently whiffing for 2 years in these situations. Moulds fumbles twice...Bledsoe misses an open Shelton for 6 ( bad play call BTW..3 and 1 yard from the end zone ) Key players coming up small in critical points of the game..

Like Badol said, I'm ready to blow this team up and start fresh. I want a core of guys that will take us to the post-season and win. Not just win a few games each year. They seem to lack heart and fire in the belly.

Wanna know why I wasn't excited for this game? it's because NOTHING has changed. Same players. Another ROOKIE head coach. And Tom Donahoe still in charge of the sinking ship.

28629[/snapback]

Pssst. I heard you and Sullivan were getting along in the WGR tent. <_<

As Jay said, after the first two series it became much quieter.  Moorman's punt and Drew's TD to Mould's brought the noise back up but that was temporary.

I can't prove this but it sounded to me like they were pumping sound in late in the third and early in the fourth quarter.  It sounded to me like there was definitely some enhancement to the crowd noice coming out of the speakers.

It's not just about noise though.  To me it's like there is almost a palpable sense of dread that we're going to do something stupid to lose the game.  I think it's permeating the fans and we're just waiting for the disaster.  Perhaps last seasons disembowling after such a promising start is partly to blame. 

28183[/snapback]

I think you finally hit it on the head. I found myself watching yesterday and I felt like something was wrong, or something was missing. I wasn't all hyped up like I usually am. Right now, I don't have faith like I used to.