How much PT will JP get in Preseason Games?

Justice

Will he get more playing time than the starters or less? Or will he get just as many?

If you were coach, what would you do?

If it was up to me, I'd treat him like the rest of the starters. No more, No less.

Why risk having his confidence shaken if the second stringers were to struggle?

Will he get more playing time than the starters or less? Or will he get just as many?

If it was up to me, I'd treat him like the rest of the starters. No more, No less.

392650[/snapback]

I hope he takes 80% of the snaps. No lie, I seriously hope he gets that much pt. I know we run a greater risk of getting him injured but I want this guy to take 100 plays before the season.

A green qb needs as many reps as possible. 3 quarters every game.

I think he needs to play half of the first 2 games, because we need to See where our NEW backup is as well. If he needs work after that then go into the third quarter in the third game . The fourth game is to close to the season DON"T GET HURT time.

A green qb needs as many reps as possible.

392667[/snapback]

Yep, But they need to get Holcomb some work, too. It's a new team for him. I think a 60/40 would be good. Matthews could stagger out of a gin mill and figure out what's what, so I think he will get one or two series - maybe.

My feeling is that he should play basically only with the starters on the OL. I don't care if he is handing off to Willis or any other guy. Or even throwing to Moulds and Evans all the time. He can get the timing with them down in practice. But he needs an extra series or two a game that he normally would play, and the OL needs a little extra time themselves in game situations as a unit. So keep them out there a little longer than normal but not much. The pre-season games are great practice but it's really not like a regular game either. They don't disguise the defenses as much, or throw the real wrinkles in there to mess with the head of the QB yet. That is the stuff that JP is going to have to learn. And he's really not going to get it in pre-season.

My feeling is that he should play basically only with the starters on the OL. I don't care if he is handing off to Willis or any other guy. Or even throwing to Moulds and Evans all the time. He can get the timing with them down in practice. But he needs an extra series or two a game that he normally would play, and the OL needs a little extra time themselves in game situations as a unit. So keep them out there a little longer than normal but not much. The pre-season games are great practice but it's really not like a regular game either. They don't disguise the defenses as much, or throw the real wrinkles in there to mess with the head of the QB yet. That is the stuff that JP is going to have to learn. And he's really not going to get it in pre-season.

392679[/snapback]

NO. You are quoting from the Book of the pre-Lewis Bengals, if I understand you correctly - i.e extending the starter's times.

This is evaluation time.

I hope he plays a fair amount, but for selfish reasons. I was pissed that he didn't get to play during the Indy preseason game last season. I'll be there this year, so I want to see how he performs in that loud dome...he might make another appearance there in 18-19 weeks.

Only problem is that holcome is also new to the offense.  So he needs to get a fair share of snaps as well.

392673[/snapback]

J_B you are right. I hadn't thought of it from that angel but you are totally right that Holcombe needs reps too. 65-30-5 is what the percentage should be. KH will need time but I would still rather we really focus on making JP all he can be this year.

Holcombe isn't a young guy coming in either. I suspect it won't take long for the veteran to become fluent in this offense.

NO. You are quoting from the Book of the pre-Lewis Bengals, if I understand you correctly - i.e extending the starter's times.

This is evaluation time.

392684[/snapback]

Extending only the QB and OL, one series or two a game, which isn't 60% of the snaps that I thought you said Palmer got, but more like 45%. I am thinking 1/3 of the first game, one series into the second half of the second game, about 3/4s of the third game and 1/4 of the last game.

Extending only the QB and OL, one series or two a game, which isn't 60% of the snaps that I thought you said Palmer got, but more like 45%. I am thinking 1/3 of the first game, one series into the second half of the second game, about 3/4s of the third game and 1/4 of the last game.

392697[/snapback]

sounds about right to me.

392697[/snapback]

I'm gun-shy. For several years, the official B'gals pre-season mantra was "we will win in pre-season to set the tone for the regular season."... :D

I think it should be more situation based then a number of plays.

I want to see him run through the core plays of the base offense, the shot gun package, the hurry up and goal line at least two or three times during the four games. Base when you pull him on the amount of exposure he gets to each of these situations with a ceiling of maybe 30-35 snaps per game and a floor of 20 or so-almost like a pitch count. You pull him sooner if he has say a couple of long drives in a game that involve all of these situations early...

As far as the 1st team goes--timing with receivers in game situations is important. I would say the line, the receivers stay in--but go easy on Willis.

392650[/snapback]

I think he plays alot more in the first two preseason games than the last two. That is generally what most teams do with their starters anyway. It would be the prudent thing to do but I have a hunch that Mularkey will play him alot! That's not bad because he needs the experience badly.

392697[/snapback]

Totally agree - this is a wise breakdown.

I hope he takes 80% of the snaps.  No lie, I seriously hope he gets that much pt.  I know we run a greater risk of getting him injured but I want this guy to take 100 plays before the season. 

A green qb needs as many reps as possible.  3 quarters every game.

392667[/snapback]

You're right, he and the rest of our young or new offense players need tons of game experience.