Hines Ward

Frez

I see Hines Ward and the Steelers seem to be at odds. The USA Today has hines rated the #6 WR in the NFL. He's in his final year of his contract and wants an extension. He already turned down a very good offer from the Steelers.

What you think, does he deserve top five money? I looked up his stats from last year and he only has 4 receiving TD's. But, this is coming from a rushing type of offense.

Pittsburgh Steelers

WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

Pro Bowler would have been highest-paid player in team history

Thursday, July 28, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Although they have not yet signed Hines Ward to a contract extension, the Steelers at least are trying to fulfill a promise to make their Pro Bowl wide receiver a priority.

The Steelers made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history, a contract that may include their highest signing bonus, according to a source close to the negotiations.

So far, Ward and his agents have turned them down.

The source told the Post-Gazette the offer also would put Ward among a tier of receivers just below several of the highest paid in the league.

The deal would include a signing bonus higher than the $8.1 million quarterback Kordell Stewart received in 1999. Although quarterback Ben Roethlisberger reportedly received a $9 million signing bonus as part of his rookie contract, some analysts peg it closer to $7.8 million in what technically would be a true signing bonus. But even if it were $9 million, the bonus the Steelers have offered Ward is close to it. No other contract details, including length and total, were provided.

Ward and his agents have countered in negotiations that the four-time Pro Bowler should be paid relative to where he ranks among NFL receivers and not based on what the Steelers have paid their players in the past. A number of receivers the past several years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million. His agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, have taken a stance that Ward should be paid among the best wide receivers in the game, although they have not asked for him to be the highest paid.

Ward, who has one year left at $1,668,750 on a contract he signed in the summer of 2001, made the past four Pro Bowls and shattered many of the Steelers receiving records during that time. Three times he surpassed the Steelers' previous record of 85 receptions in a season with a high of 112 in 2002. His 505 career receptions are second only to John Stallworth's 537 in club history.

Ward, who lives in Atlanta, is scheduled to make a promotional appearance today in Pittsburgh and also was to talk to some coaches about his situation. Parker has declined to predict whether Ward will report to training camp on time Sunday.

I don't think Hines will hold out, I think he's smarter than that. He knows this is his contract year.

Will the Steelers pay him or let him walk after this year? :doh:

Do we really wanna talk about the Steelers depth? :w00t::w00t::doh::doh::doh:

I know what you're saying, Frez.

But I would contend that we would have lost to most any team that day. We were destined. Also I'm only talking about receiver depth. Their current backups only caught 3 balls for 28 yards that day. Maddox was 12-24 for 120 yards.

I also don't think Hines will holdout. BUT the Steelers may let him walk after this season. I think that is VERY likely.

If the steelers don't negotiate, they are really stupid. Hines Ward is one of those players you make an exception for. I heard somewhere's that he was around the 37th highest paid WR in the league. That's rediculous.

392212[/snapback]

The Steelers made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history, a contract that may include their highest signing bonus, according to a source close to the negotiations.

He turned it down. He wants top ten money!

392216[/snapback]

Just saying "it would make him the highest paid player in their history" doesn't mean its a fair market contract. You have to compare it to other WRs contracts out there right now. Year in and year out the guy is consistently one of the best WRs in the league. I'm sure he feels like he should be compensated like one.

Just saying "it would make him the highest paid player in their history" doesn't mean its a fair market contract.  You have to compare it to other WRs contracts out there right now.  Year in and year out the guy is consistently one of the best WRs in the league.  I'm sure he feels like he should be compensated like one.

392235[/snapback]

But remember he caught 4td's last year! :doh:

392216[/snapback]

I think that argument is baloney....Every year someone is going to top the

previous years highest salary.....What you have to compare is what the

players at that position are earning with other teams.....and considering

that Hines Ward is way under paid.......

Ed Bouchette is a Rooney pay roll guy...This is definitely a leak by the

steelers to save their face and to put Hines in a touch spot....The guy has

given everything for the team....and this is how you appreciate him...Give

him his market worth.....Some of the stupid talk show guys were talking about

how Hines will be of not the same worth to other teams as he is to steelers..

that is just a stupid arugment.....I would take him in a heartbeat....The guy

plays his guts out (even if a little dirty)......blocks tremendously downfield...

For gods sake, the guy is not asking to be the highest paid WR in the league...He just wants to be in the top 5-10....I don't know why he cannot think about that,

as this will be his last big contract at age 28.

Hines Ward is my favorite player in the NFL. (The Bills are obviously my favorite team). The guy isn't blessed with the skills of the top wrs, but he's work his butt off. He doesn't talk trash and plays with a smile on his face. If you ever saw the NFL films special on him and his mother, it is truly amazing what a good guy he is. Plus, no wr blocks like he does. His stats dropped last year, but it was for the good of the team (though he and Moulds killed my fantasy team). But if you look at the stats from the 2 previous years, he had top 5 numbers. I just think the Steelers should pay if only for his leadership and character.

Hines Ward is my favorite player in the NFL. (The Bills are obviously my favorite team).  The guy isn't blessed with the skills of the top wrs, but he's work his butt off.  He doesn't talk trash and plays with a smile on his face.  If you ever saw the NFL films special on him and his mother, it is truly amazing what a good guy he is.  Plus, no wr blocks like he does.  His stats dropped last year, but it was for the good of the team (though he and Moulds killed my fantasy team).  But if you look at the stats from the 2 previous years, he had top 5 numbers.  I just think the Steelers should pay if only for his leadership and character.

392320[/snapback]

I agree with the above mentioned statement. Hines Ward is my favorite player in the whole league due to his character, human flaws, gritty determihnation, bust most of all his passion for the game. He loves the game so much, he's not afraid to let his true feelings out, and can empathize even with the losing teams. Instead of gloating after the playoff win over the jets, he instead empathized with doug brien, and acknowledged how hard it would be to be in his situation. He truly cares about others, and the game more than his own well being

Hines should be careful here, the league is full of players that turned down big money and it came back to bite them hard. Jeremiah Trotter comes to mind, Verba is another, Ty Law is perhaps the best example, the list is long.

Hines should be careful here, the league is full of players that turned down big money and it came back to bite them hard.  Jeremiah Trotter comes to mind, Verba is another, Ty Law is perhaps the best example, the list is long.

392402[/snapback]

Well that's the gamble, isn't it?. The player hopes he doesn't get injured like Law did. Law made the smart play, it just didn't pan out for him. If he doesn't get injured he hits paydirt.

Well that's the gamble, isn't it?.  The player hopes he doesn't get injured like Law did.  Law made the smart play, it just didn't pan out for him.  If he doesn't get injured he hits paydirt.

392409[/snapback]

"I signed the Law, and the, Law done". Go Jets! :doh: