Kids activities in Buffalo

Take them to Mecca.....The Ralph, early morning when the dew still rests on the grass, the birds are singing and the sun is just creeping above the horizon, stand still and listen, listen for the sounds of the past, a Rich history, a tradition of winning.....stay as long as you want, you might even find a gate open, go on in (no one will arrest a guy with his two kids) then take them out for a nice breakfast. Great food in Buffalo!

Other than the zoo, what is there to do in Buffalo with a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old?

389157[/snapback]

How about Niagara Falls....Agreed...it is not in buffalo...that is all i can think of

I remember as a Boy Scout over 20 years ago we got to camp out on the battelship USS Little Rock... We must have been one of the very first tours/sleeps overs right after it and the Sullivan was brought into port... We ran roughshod all over the vessels, leaving no hatch or bulkhead open! They weren't too happy!

Take them to the serviceman's park and show them the Little Rock, The Fighting Sullivan's (destroyer), and Croaker (sub). After that you can head down to the foot of Erie Street and visit the Erie Basin Marina... There is a nice observation point/lookout tower at the foot... Before you leave, stop by the Hatch and get a bite to eat or some ice cream.

My son is 7 and always requests to see the battleship, destroyers and submarine... Everytime we are in town (about every 2 months) we get a look at it rain, sleet or snow!

You can also pick up the Miss Buffalo at the serviceman's park... Maybe take in a Bison's game nearby.

Another nice walk is at Bird Island pier. Over the years it has been re-worked and re-done. Take Niagara Street to the foot of Ferry and cross the draw-bridge there. You will be able to walk the length, go under the Peace Bridge, do some fishing if you want... To quote John Fogerty... "...Shuffle off to Buffalo, sit by the lake and watch the world go by."

:)

Take them to Mecca.....The Ralph, early morning when the dew still rests on the grass, the birds are singing and the sun is just creeping above the horizon, stand still and listen, listen for the sounds of the past, a Rich history, a tradition of winning.....stay as long as you want, you might even find a gate open, go on in  (no one will arrest a guy with his two kids) then take them out for a nice breakfast.  Great food in Buffalo!

390152[/snapback]

Oh they go to the Ralph every year - in fact my son goes to most games with me. They were last there for the carnival at the Celebration of Champions.

I remember as a Boy Scout over 20 years ago we got to camp out on the battelship USS Little Rock... We must have been one of the very first tours/sleeps overs right after it and the Sullivan was brought into port... We ran roughshod all over the vessels, leaving no hatch or bulkhead open!  They weren't too happy!

Take them to the serviceman's park and show them the Little Rock, The Fighting Sullivan's (destroyer), and Croaker (sub).  After that you can head down to the foot of Erie Street and visit the Erie Basin Marina... There is a nice observation point/lookout tower at the foot... Before you leave, stop by the Hatch and get a bite to eat or some ice cream.

My son is 7 and always requests to see the battleship, destroyers and submarine... Everytime we are in town (about every 2 months) we get a look at it rain, sleet or snow!

You can also pick up the Miss Buffalo at the serviceman's park... Maybe take in a Bison's game nearby.

390834[/snapback]

We went to a Red Wings game here in Rochester last week so that wouldn't be all that different.

Isn't there a lighthouse at the marina too?

As 2 previous posters said, the Naval Park is good, so is the Bird Island breakwall. Go to the other side of the island by crossing the Int'l RR bridge. Also the Miss Buffalo.

I think better than most of the above though, except N Falls, is Holland Speedway. Don't knock it until you've gone there. Very family oriented, some amusement rides, special pricing for families, good food, and good entertainment. Go to the pits afterwards and meet drivers and get some freebies. Anything from real give-aways, to something a kid will really treasure. WRECKED CAR PARTS. When my kids were smaller, they brought home things from tires and driveshafts, to even a front clip

Holland

We went to a Red Wings game here in Rochester last week so that wouldn't be all that different.

390933[/snapback]

The lighthouse is on the other side of the Buffalo River opposite the Marina. I am not sure if it is open to the public as it sits within the boundaries of the Coast Guard station.

390933[/snapback]

Chinaman's Light... I think I can say that in a PC world? Right across from the EBM at the CG station.

My father and I would go the Coast Guard station there and he would pick-up tax free cigs at the PX in the early 1970's. It was a highlight to drive down Ohio street, under the Skyway... he would stop the car and let me walk around by the slip there... I was fascinated because he would say people would like to drag race down there at night.

It is amazing how much has changed from the stories I have heard. As a young worker on the Erie-Lackawanna, my father said he would uncouple coal cars at the foot of Erie Street... He would let them go down the incline ramp where they would come to a rest back and forth and be ready to be loaded... He would say if you messed up and were a little too late the only way to bail was into the water!

I think bringing my son back to that area (mouth of the Buffalo River and ship canal) brings back a lot of memories for me!

As 2 previous posters said, the Naval Park is good, so is the Bird Island breakwall.  Go to the other side of the island by crossing the Int'l RR bridge.  Also the Miss Buffalo.

I think better than most of the above though, except N Falls, is Holland Speedway.  Don't knock it until you've gone there.  Very family oriented, some amusement rides, special pricing for families, good food, and good entertainment.  Go to the pits afterwards and meet drivers and get some freebies.  Anything from real give-aways, to something a kid will really treasure.  WRECKED CAR PARTS.  When my kids were smaller, they brought home things from tires and driveshafts, to even a front clip

Holland

390983[/snapback]

Wow! Memories! :lol:

Nice to hear that the Speedway is still in operation. You are spot on about treasuring busted up parts...as a kid, if I got my little hands on a thrown-off shard of tire tread, it would have been a prize beyond measure... 0:)

You are a good Dad.

When I was a kid my older brother lived in Buffalo, and we walked up all of the stairs to the top of city hall. This is fun if you have pretty ambitious kids. The thirteenth floor was a little spooky. Maybe they wont let you do that any more. Another idea that is free. Walking down the pier in the river is alot of fun with kids. It's also a decent place to fish.

When I was a kid my older brother lived in Buffalo, and we walked up all of the stairs to the top of city hall.  This is fun if you have pretty ambitious kids.  The thirteenth floor was a little spooky.  Maybe they wont let you do that any more.  Another idea that is free.  Walking down the pier in the river is alot of fun with kids.  It's also a decent place to fish.

391008[/snapback]

I think Buffalo has the highest city hall... No pun intended!

0:)