Eric Moulds

Frez

I'm thinking this will be Eric's last year in Buffalo. If he won't take a huge paycut going into next season I'll bet he's history. I see no reason Lee Evans can't become our #1 WR. The only way Eric stays beyond this season if he has a super duper season.

Just my opinion. :D

He's 32 and in his 11th year of the NFL.

385842[/snapback]

and his salary cap is ~10M and his actual salary is ~6M......All of that

seem too high for a guy on the wrong side of 30....

Especially if both Evans and Roscoe have break out seasons, all the

advantage is with the Bills...Will they treat him with the same dignity

as they did with Drew Bledsoe, remains to be seen.

He will have to. We have to many young good players to spend money on. Eric Moulds is how old these days?

385841[/snapback]

No doubt. To elaborate, I meant that he will stay because he is rooted here. In other words, he won't leave for more money. Whatever it takes, he stays. He'll want to. IMO.

Many things can happen from now to next spring that can change EMs mind.

For example, if TO gets traded by the Phillies next year and Eric gets a

offer for 3m to stay back in buffalo or 3M to go play for the eagles who are

much closer to a SB run, I bet he is packing his bags...

Again this is just a scenario..but anything can happen.

I'm thinking this will be Eric's last year in Buffalo. If he won't take a huge paycut going into next season I'll bet he's history. I see no reason Lee Evans can't become our #1 WR. The only way Eric stays beyond this season if he has a super duper season.

Just my opinion.  :devil:

385834[/snapback]

Evans needs to show he can consistantly beat double coverage. or we will be in the same situation as the Falcons.

I dont see Moulds going anywhere though. hes the man. :D

I agree this is most likely his last season at this substantial salary negotiated under the pre-current TV deal salalary cap at his old fairly consistent and pretty good with bursts of top flight excellence production numbers.

However, in addition to his producing at a top flight level one more time (100+ catches or double digit TD which he achieved in 2002) I'd add these circumstances under which I think we keep Moulds:

1. The new cap level really changes the salary structure of teams and his current contract which is among the highest in the team and league becomes a lower % as the Bills really have to ladel out $ to be within the minimum cap # of wealth distribution to the employees. My sense is that even if this is the case that the blockbuster contracts go to players like Clements, but a short-tem huge deal to keep Moulds is certainly possible.

2. After an incredibly promising first year (just like Reed had his rookie season), Evans has a sophomore slump (just like Reed had his second season) that makes keeping Moulds around a bit more of a priority. I think that Evans is the real deal and I doubt he has the something like the droppsie problem that hit Reed and is actually more important and more likely for a WR who is a possession guy like Reed rather than a burner like Evans. However, who knows what may happen with injury and Moulds relative value could make him a keeper if Evans suffers some injury which damages his speed.

3. There is something about Moulds contract we do not know. The numbers we have are likely correct as the NFL and NFLPA releases factual total numbers as part of their "turst but verify" interaction with each other through the CBA website. However, it has become clear through various unforseen curve balls like the actual date of Ruben Brown's bonus kicking in that we outsiders do not know the actual language of the deals and important info for understanding the contract. Clumping Platelets does an outstanding job collecting and sharing Bills details, but one has to acknowledge there are significant things which may impact this decision which we do not know.

This is probably Moulds last years as a Bills, but between the 4 variables above (add to the 3 him having a great season) it is a bit early to declare this his final year for sure or at any level we need to worry about.

This is probably Moulds last years as a Bills, but between the 4 variables above (add to the 3 him having a great season) it is a bit early to declare this his final year for sure or at any level we need to worry about.

385974[/snapback]

Who cares what is going to happen at end of season, especially when it

is not in control now....Let us hope EM can provide us another outstanding

season.

He'll take a paycut.  He's a team player and has made almost as much money as the top WR's in the NFL these past few years.

386022[/snapback]

yeah- he's the same high class, team player that Drew was, so we can expect Moulds to "cut" his $6 mil base pay to about $ 8 mil or so, just like Drew. :D

I don't think Eric Moulds knows what he is going to think, I don't think the Bills know what they are going to think, until we play this season. Moulds could flop, Moulds could be great, Moulds could be mediocre, Evans could emerge as the #1, Moulds could get hurt, the Bills could be great and he'd want to stay, The Bills could tank and he may want to leave, the Bills could be erratic and he may be confused, Losman may be great and he'll want to stay, Losman may be erratic and he'll want to go.

After the season is the only time to even guess what he is going to do and the Bills are going to do. There are way too many variables that are unknown that have serious impact on his and the team's decision.

He may want to stay as well - but unless his productivity increases dramatically AND he agrees to reduce his inflated paycheck- then he will probably be gone.

385916[/snapback]

By increasing his productivity I suppose you mean moving from the 3rd WR in the AFC in receptions to 2nd or 1st? The guy had 88 receptions last year, if people think that Evans can put up those types of numbers they're kidding themselves. Evens is more explosive but he'll never be the "go to" guy that puts up those types of receptions, he simply doesn't have the body type, and frankly, its a waste of his skills. A Team needs an explosive guy and a productive guy, we have that now. If Moulds leaves we'll have to replace him with a WR capable of putting up 80+ receptions every year and leave Evans to keep doing what he did last year.

The only problem I see with Moulds' game from last year is his ypc could be about a yard more, which would put him right there with Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson and Hines Ward.

I don't think Eric Moulds knows what he is going to think, I don't think the Bills know what they are going to think, until we play this season. Moulds could flop, Moulds could be great, Moulds could be mediocre, Evans could emerge as the #1, Moulds could get hurt, the Bills could be great and he'd want to stay, The Bills could tank and he may want to leave, the Bills could be erratic and he may be confused, Losman may be great and he'll want to stay, Losman may be erratic and he'll want to go.

After the season is the only time to even guess what he is going to do and the Bills are going to do. There are way too many variables that are unknown that have serious impact on his and the team's decision.

386132[/snapback]

Well said.

By increasing his productivity I suppose you mean moving from the 3rd WR in the AFC in receptions to 2nd or 1st?  The guy had 88 receptions last year, if people think that Evans can put up those types of numbers they're kidding themselves.  Evens is more explosive but he'll never be the "go to" guy that puts up those types of receptions, he simply doesn't have the body  type, and frankly, its a waste of his skills.  A Team needs an explosive guy and a productive guy, we have that now.  If Moulds leaves we'll have to replace him with a WR capable of putting up 80+ receptions every year and leave Evans to keep doing what he did last year.

The only problem I see with Moulds' game from last year is his ypc could be about a yard more, which would put him right there with Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson and Hines Ward.

386139[/snapback]

He needs to imrove the other key stats- like TDs, yards per catch, yards after the catch.

He needs to be dominant to justify the huge salary.

not just catch a lot of short passes as the only WR that Drew would lock onto.