Don Beebe Speed Camp

bg17

you cant teach speed

385644[/snapback]

]

AS a division 3 hurdler and 400/ 500 meter runner, and volunteer high school coach, you CAN teach speed. This may be achieved through proper coaching and commitment to the program assigned to the athlete. Also, if a high schooler improves his 40 by .1 second that may be a difference between starting and even seeing the field, as well asbeing able to get open on a route, evade a defender, or tackle the ballcarrier

]

AS a division 3 hurdler and 400/ 500 meter runner, and volunteer high school coach, you CAN teach speed. This may be achieved through proper coaching and commitment to the program assigned to the athlete. Also, if a high schooler improves his 40 by .1 second that may be a difference between starting and even seeing the field, as well asbeing able to  get open on a route, evade a defender, or tackle the ballcarrier

385651[/snapback]

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe zevo was being sarcastic. :doh:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe zevo was being sarcastic.  :)

385686[/snapback]

well, the thing is that many ignorant people say that. Many people believe that speed comes naturally. Plus, i think i need to take my ritalyn (sp?) :doh:

Look at it this way. You can't teach world class speed. By breeding and early training a person is almost always a speed demon or not.

As with most things the key to this decision is likely your goals for your kid.

If one is looking to find a way to teach your kid something that will allow you to retire early off of his athletic take or live vicariously through his glory where you always fell short, then fuggabout it. Beebe speed camp will not do this (not that I have ever been but I can comfortably say this because nothing will do this for you).

If your goal however is to give your kid a parental gift that he wants to do I suspect this is good from the character shown by Beebe through the years and even if it disappoints him it will be a great opportunity to teach and learn discussing the reasons why this disappointed.

In addition, though you cannot teach world class speed one can teach a person as I lwarned back in my old days of the HS track and field team various techniques (leaning into and even anticipating the start, maintaining a g odd consistent running form dweeing upright and into your run as smoothly and quickly as possible anf maintaining the same form until the final lean) that can in fact peel milliseconds off a sprint time that can be interepreted as learning speed.

My guess is that if you are training your kid at a pubescent age hiow to peel off a milliseconmd here or there so he can excel when he makes football training camp you have probably chosen not the best goal, but if you have more reasonable goals like simply adding to your child's confidence level or learning how his/her body is growing and changing this is probably a good thing.

The piec of parental research worth doing is that my recollection is that Beebe was a born-again Christian type. Not that there is anything intrincically wrong with this (and in fact there are a lot of positives to be said about the discipline and giving of religion, but as we have seen from the public idiocy and actually non-Christian acts of many prominent evangelical preaches like a Jimmy Swaggert or Jim Bakker, I would ask pretty directly about this and if you perceive that it is hamhanded I might keep my kid away from these folks who will be acting in loco parentis at camp.

]

AS a division 3 hurdler and 400/ 500 meter runner, and volunteer high school coach, you CAN teach speed. This may be achieved through proper coaching and commitment to the program assigned to the athlete. Also, if a high schooler improves his 40 by .1 second that may be a difference between starting and even seeing the field, as well asbeing able to  get open on a route, evade a defender, or tackle the ballcarrier

385651[/snapback]

jz is absolutely correct. One as this has been an item I have watched my own son work with a trainer on for the past offseason......running speed isn't a magical thing....it is a science just like anything else.....

My son was a good football player.....but was NOT a natural runner.....you wouldn't know it by the way he is running right now.....it is about strengthening of core muscules, proper running technique, proper eating habits, and practice practice practice

My son had a 40 that was so slow and awkward we never even bothered to time it......just this last weekend he ran a 5.1 second 40 (I counted a 5 flat 40 but stop watch is not totally accurate hence the 5.1

That is pretty darn good for a 13 year old who just last year was told he was too slow..........

Look at it this way. You can't teach world class speed. By breeding and early training a person is almost always a speed demon or not.

385789[/snapback]

You forgot a good drug program.

Kidding aside, when you send a kid to a camp like ths, remember he is getting a good workout. Just increasing the strength of the correct muscles will increase speed. Also most of the drills, through repetition will increase the ability of the brain to get messages to the muscles that require them. This too will increase speed.

Just how much of an increase is the question.

You forgot a good drug program.

Kidding aside, when you send a kid to a camp like ths, remember he is getting a good workout.  Just increasing the strength of the correct muscles will increase speed.  Also most of the drills, through repetition will increase the ability of the brain to get messages to the muscles that require them.  This too will increase speed. 

Just how much of an increase is the question.

386237[/snapback]

Greybeard is right here......while I dont subscribe to the theory that someone who is not fast will never be much faster if he doesnt try then there is also the truth that world class sprinters are world class because of TWO reasons....

- Genetics

- Work Ethic

but that is not to say that a kid who runs with incorrect form....doesn't eat right....plays too much playstation and doesn't get outside enough cannot make a huge improvement of speed and quickness.....hence WORK ETHIC

Let me also say that a camp isn't going to overnight make a slow person into a fast person....it is much like being overweight and getting into shape....it takes months....YEARS......it is a ongoing process......

- First of all......you cant soar like an eagle when you look like a fricken penguin.......it starts with a sensible diet that lowers bodyfat, increases muscule....this is two fold also.....you need to have low bodyfat in order to be faster...but your heart also has to be in shape enough to allow you to do the work it is going to take........

- Next.....proper stretching cannot be over emphasized enough.....very often slow people are also people who are very stiff and have little flexibility....the muscules used for creating power (which is a key aspect in running) must be stretched....and then they need to be strenghened through various ways (plyometrics, lunges, uphill running, bleacher running, and when you get more advanced....deadlifts and squats) this not only helps the body to generate more power but also has added benefits of correct body imbalances where you will be stronger on one side then the other.....also.....stretching, strengthening, and improving balance and core strength will give you the CONFIDENCE to improve....

- Next.....you have to run....and when I mean run you have to do it a lot....2-3 times a week and in varied ways.......

- Also....another thing that improves speed is understanding the meaning of slow twitch and fast twich muscules (which I am not totally up to speed on but am self educating this year) basically....people with slow reaction speed and quickness will also be generally slower overall......in order to correct this you do things that biuld quickness in the feet. It is a little complicated but basically in my own sons case he would always talk to me about how he could see plays developing on the field but could not get there at times and used field positioning and anticipation to make up for it (what I saw in my own observation was that he had "cement feet") there are several ways to fix this and get those feet active and a common way to do this is simply jumping rope.....there are also plyometric exercises that can be done that defeat the "cement feet" syndrome and improve footwork which translates into being quicker and faster on the football field......one of the things my sons trainer taught him and he will do it to show off for his friends or before running is a little "footwork dance" witch is actually a plyo to get the feet moving and touching the ground as briefly as possible in a figure 8 motion.......it starts off slow and when it is at top speed you can barely see the feet move.....

This from a kid that reminded me of "JAX from Tekken" the video game.....:D

These things can be taught....you need dedication from the student...patience from the teacher....and time.

Forgot to add a couple of things......

Running faster is a technique....a science....it is not magic....

The takeoff is very important.....technique and power in takoff really tell what is going to happen for the rest of the run....power and forward body lean the first 5 yards......then opening up stride and working levers (arms) the remainder of the way.....understanding that the faster your levers are working the faster your feet will move.......

And then training yourself to RUN THROUGH the finish line and not slow down before you get there......

Greybeard is right here......while I dont subscribe to the theory that someone who is not fast will never be much faster if he doesnt try then there is also the truth that world class sprinters are world class because of TWO reasons....

- Genetics

- Work Ethic

but that is not to say that a kid who runs with incorrect form....doesn't eat right....plays too much playstation and doesn't get outside enough cannot make a huge improvement of speed and quickness.....hence WORK ETHIC

Let me also say that a camp isn't going to overnight make a slow person into a fast person....it is much like being overweight and getting into shape....it takes months....YEARS......it is a ongoing process......

- First of all......you cant soar like an eagle when you look like a fricken penguin.......it starts with a sensible diet that lowers bodyfat, increases muscule....this is two fold also.....you need to have low bodyfat in order to be faster...but your heart also has to be in shape enough to allow you to do the work it is going to take........

- Next.....proper stretching cannot be over emphasized enough.....very often slow people are also people who are very stiff and have little flexibility....the muscules used for creating power (which is a key aspect in running) must be stretched....and then they need to be strenghened through various ways (plyometrics, lunges, uphill running, bleacher running, and when you get more advanced....deadlifts and squats) this not only helps the body to generate more power but also has added benefits of correct body imbalances where you will be stronger on one side then the other.....also.....stretching, strengthening, and improving balance and core strength will give you the CONFIDENCE to improve....

- Next.....you have to run....and when I mean run you have to do it a lot....2-3 times a week and in varied ways.......

- Also....another thing that improves speed is understanding the meaning of slow twitch and fast twich muscules (which I am not totally up to speed on but am self educating this year) basically....people with slow reaction speed and quickness will also be generally slower overall......in order to correct this you do things that biuld quickness in the feet.  It is a little complicated but basically in my own sons case he would always talk to me about how he could see plays developing on the field but could not get there at times and used field positioning and anticipation to make up for it (what I saw in my own observation was that he had "cement feet") there are several ways to fix this and get those feet active and a common way to do this is simply jumping rope.....there are also plyometric exercises that can be done that defeat the "cement feet" syndrome and improve footwork which translates into being quicker and faster on the football field......one of the things my sons trainer taught him and he will do it to show off for his friends or before running is a little "footwork dance" witch is actually a plyo to get the feet moving and touching the ground as briefly as possible in a figure 8 motion.......it starts off slow and when it is at top speed you can barely see the feet move.....

This from a kid that reminded me of "JAX from Tekken" the video game.....:D

These things can be taught....you need dedication from the student...patience from the teacher....and time.

386262[/snapback]

I don't think any if this is inconsistent with what i said is the bottom line that speed in running is for the most part determined by nature (genetics- some poeple inherit a make-up which makes them faster runners) and by nurture (their is training one can do on techniques which revolve around getting a good start, using good technique like the most efficent running form, and having a good close like running though the tape or making a good lean at the end. As someone pointed out tine is a big element with this so the earlier you start the better and the younger you start the les you have to also unlearn bad running habits.

You can have "runners genes" and even with a late start in training you can do a lot. However, even if you start early with training but are built geneticaklly to be a slower person you will be the best you can be but you will never be a world class sprinter.

The key here is to no yourself or as best as you can know your kid and regardless of the result if the effort is there then love abd reward your kid for making the good effort!

In essence techniques can be taught and those techniques almost always can improve speed, but making a living from sports is such a rare thing in our soceity (300+ million people for a few thousand jobs) that by the numbers it is incredibly unlikely that the improvements in speed which can be taught will make in difference whatsoever in whether one gets an athletic job or not that is not a good strategy to learn speed to reach this goal.

Learning speed techniques can certainly be a good strategy for having fun with it or gaining confidence, it just is a non-strategy for turning sports into a job.