FFL, Quarterbacks

If you needed a quarterback and, these were the only 1s left, who would u pick?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If you needed a quarterback and, these were the only 1s left, who would u pick?

• Dante Culpepper
    • Trent Green
    • Byron Leftwiech
    • Kerry Collins
    • Eli Manning

? isnt this a no brainer. culpepper has thrown like a million td's the last few year. moss or not, he'll still get 30+ TD's

384363[/snapback]

Losing Moss will really hurt Culpepper's #'s. If you have Moss as one of your receivers, all you really need to do is drop back 5 steps and chuck it deep. Chances are Moss can run under it.

Losing Moss will really hurt Culpepper's #'s. If you have Moss as one of your receivers, all you really need to do is drop back 5 steps and chuck it deep. Chances are Moss can run under it.

384366[/snapback]

Culpepper will have another monster year, at least fantasy-wise

Here's a bit of what Culpepper faces this year:

... during Weeks 6 through 10 when Moss missed three games and saw limited action in two others because of a hamstring injury, the Vikings went 2-3 and barely beat the Lions. Culpepper averaged nearly 9.5 yards per pass with Moss and barely seven yards without him.

It’s doubtful rookie Troy Williamson or Nate Burleson can match Moss’s career average of nearly 16 yards per catch and 13 touchdowns a season now that the Vikes won’t have Moss to bear the brunt of opposing defenses. The Vikings also lost respected offensive coordinator, Scott Linehan. And Onterrio Smith, perhaps the club`s best pur runner, is suspended for the year follwing his now infamous `whizinator` incident.

From http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.as...rt=49297&tid=27

I don't love any of these QBs, but Cullpepper is far from a no brainer. The best thing the Vikes have going for them is their weak division.

Moss was out for a good portion of the season while Culpepper put up MVP type numbers, let's not forget that. He'll feel the effects of Moss' departure, but to ASSume that he'll turn into an average QB is patently false. Of the options listed, Culpepper is my choice.

Culpepper, because even if he comes back to earth (25 TD's or so)with passing TD's, he more than makes up for it with his rushing #'s...and hes good for 8-10 running TD's per year as well...

384463[/snapback]

What you guys forget when mentioning Culpepper's rushing ability...is that you still have to move the football close to the goal line so Dante can rush it in. No Moss means the Vike's ability to move the football has become diminished, subsequently diminishing Culpepper's rushing opportunities. Also factor in that opposing defenses usually had 2 or even 3 defenders playing Moss. Now those defenders can go back to run support or even spying on Culpepper.

Culpepper, because even if he comes back to earth (25 TD's or so)with passing TD's, he more than makes up for it with his rushing #'s...and hes good for 8-10 running TD's per year as well...

384463[/snapback]

Good point...

Another negative that I just remembered is that he coughs up the ball all the time. Most leagues deduct points for turnovers.

Moss was out for a good portion of the season while Culpepper put up MVP type numbers, let's not forget that.  He'll feel the effects of Moss' departure, but to ASSume that he'll turn into an average QB is patently false.  Of the options listed, Culpepper is my choice.

384468[/snapback]

Games Moss missed last year, what Culpepper did:

Tennessee - 24/30 for 183 yds 1 TD

New York Giants - 24/42 for 231 yds 1 TD 2 INT's

Indianapolis - 16/19 for 169 yds 1 TD

Green Bay - 27/44 for for 363 yds and 4 TD's

Detroit - 22/32 for 233 yds 2 TD's and 1 INT

Jacksonville - 19/27 for 235yds 1 TD and 1 INT

MVP numbers? :doh: You might make the case that in the Green Bay game Dante had MVP numbers, but then again he had to because the Vikes couldn't run the ball (Bennett and Smith each could only get 21yds) and Minnesota still lost 34-31.

I'd say someone else was making some ASSumptions about MVP type numbers...

Games Moss missed last year, what Culpepper did:

Tennessee - 24/30 for 183 yds 1 TD

New York Giants - 24/42 for 231 yds 1 TD 2 INT's

Indianapolis - 16/19 for 169 yds 1 TD

Green Bay - 27/44 for for 363 yds and 4 TD's

Detroit - 22/32 for 233 yds 2 TD's and 1 INT

Jacksonville - 19/27 yds 1 TD and 1 INT

MVP numbers?  :doh:  You might make the case that in the Green Bay game Dante had MVP numbers, but then again he had to because the Vikes couldn't run the ball (Bennett and Smith each could only get 21yds) and Minnesota still lost 34-31.

I'd say someone else was making some ASSumptions about MVP type numbers...

384480[/snapback]

You have a point there. Perhaps I should re-phrase that: Culpepper was missing his top option for a good part of the season, yet still played pretty well. In the games that Moss was healthy, he was outstanding. When Moss came back and was clearly still not 100%, Culpepper still performed well. Given the circumstances, I take him over the other options.

You have a point there.  Perhaps I should re-phrase that:  Culpepper was missing his top option for a good part of the season, yet still played pretty well.  In the games that Moss was healthy, he was outstanding.  When Moss came back and was clearly still not 100%, Culpepper still performed well.  Given the circumstances, I take him over the other options.

384489[/snapback]

I'm not saying Dante isn't a good QB. I think he is. I just think he's going to have some trouble finding his groove Post Randy, because I think he leaned on him a bit more than he should have.

I'm not saying Dante isn't a good QB. I think he is. I just think he's going to have some trouble finding his groove Post Randy, because I think he leaned on him a bit more than he should have.

384501[/snapback]

No doubt he'll struggle, but, as usual, I think the truth is somewhere in between "He'll be just fine; no big deal" and , "w/out Moss, he'll suck".

Here's a bit of what Culpepper faces this year:

... during Weeks 6 through 10 when Moss missed three games and saw limited action in two others because of a hamstring injury, the Vikings went 2-3 and barely beat the Lions. Culpepper averaged nearly 9.5 yards per pass with Moss and barely seven yards without him.

It’s doubtful rookie Troy Williamson or Nate Burleson can match Moss’s career average of nearly 16 yards per catch and 13 touchdowns a season now that the Vikes won’t have Moss to bear the brunt of opposing defenses. The Vikings also lost respected offensive coordinator, Scott Linehan. And Onterrio Smith, perhaps the club`s best pur runner, is suspended for the year follwing his now infamous `whizinator` incident.

From http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.as...rt=49297&tid=27

I don't love any of these QBs, but Cullpepper is far from a no brainer. The best thing the Vikes have going for them is their weak division.

384418[/snapback]

you are correct - you should go for the Manning name and take Eli. :doh:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.