Deal Done! NHL is finally back!

agilen

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The final I crossing and T dotting this article describes sounds like a very good thing in terms of this deal being implemented properly if that is what happens.

From what I have heard about the outlines of a deal it sounds a lot like the NFL model (as it should since the NFL model has clearly accomplished the goals of the NFL and NFLPA which is to put more money in their pockets than ever before) the new CBA will be based on ranges of players getting a defined % of the gross which allow labor peace as the defined % should be enough for individual NHL teams to remain viable while players continue to get more money than they deserve.

This final process can be an activity where the NHL and the NHLPA are working together to forge an agreement that satifies the third parties of government to meet their mutually shared goals embodied in the CBA.

The deal will work here on out to the extent that the NHL and NHLPA work from a standpoint of a maturing partnership which is furtheed by the CBA. Things will not work and will eventually fall apart to the extent that this effort is approached as a zero-sum game where the owners and players are at war.

The NFL CBA works because buttressed by the trust but verify role of shared information about contracts within the salary cap the two sides have progressed to become partners working together (to get far more $ than they deserve from the network and ticket-buyers) rather than warriors who drag each other down and thus hurt both sides.

The media loves a fight because they are easy to cover, but to the extent the NHL and NHLPA understand this deal is not about who won and who lost but about both sides winning at selling a product for your and my dollarrs this deal will work.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130240

TSN is reporting it as done.  There should be a press release later today, and the ratification process will begin.  Once that is done (probably not until next week), there will be a press conference.

LETS GO SABRES!!!

380562[/snapback]

Since teams over the cap will have to release players, and teams with cap room like the Sabres will be able to add, who would you like to see in a Sabres uniform? For me, I would love to have Mike Peca back, losing him was the beginning of the end.

Was hockey gone?

380623[/snapback]

It's been technically gone for years, ever since helmets were mandated, the crease became the size of a small ranch, and the net pipes were replaced with magnets.

I understand the recent drumbeat is to eliminate the blue lines, so it can morph into the NPL - the National Pinball League.

Since teams over the cap will have to release players, and teams with cap room like the Sabres will be able to add, who would you like to see in a Sabres uniform?  For me, I would love to have Mike Peca back, losing him was the beginning of the end.

380621[/snapback]

really????? wow. I'd think we'd want to bring in somebody who knew how to play hockey.

If the Sabres could make a splash in F/A, I would like to see them bring in 1 or 2 physical defensemen. This is the one area where the Sabres are sorely lacking(especially if Zhitnik doesn't come back).

Zhitnik

McKee

Campbell

Patrick

Jillson

Tallinder

Kalinin

Fitzpatrick

Brown

How very droll, however, I think the team may be in need of leadership

380637[/snapback]

Yeah they should bring back a guy who would have missed a Stanley Cup final game in 1998 because he set his wedding date without looking at the hockey schedule, or worse, didn't think it would matter. That was real leadership.

If the Sabres could make a splash in F/A, I would like to see them bring in 1 or 2 physical defensemen.  This is the one area where the Sabres are sorely lacking(especially if Zhitnik doesn't come back).

Zhitnik

McKee

Campbell

Patrick

Jillson

Tallinder

Kalinin

Fitzpatrick

Brown

380638[/snapback]

I think Scott Neidermayer may be on the FA market this summer. The Sabres might be in the position that they can afford pretty much anybody, so things should be interesting. I think they will shore up the D, as there is actually a good amount of up-and-coming offensive talent on the Sabres.

Bluelines?  I hadn't heard that.  Now eliminating the redline has been bantered about for years.

380650[/snapback]

I've heard that they might widen the bluelines, but nothing about eliminating them.

Bluelines?  I hadn't heard that.  Now eliminating the redline has been bantered about for years.

380650[/snapback]

Seems I'm in error. Thanks for the correction. The two-line pass restriction to me adds much to the game, forcing team play, the pleasure of watching crisp passing and quick skate stops and positioning etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2106776

hockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockey