Bills' future in WNY

Just a thought... The "leaders" in Buffalo ought to start doing something NOW to keep the Bills in WNY. Ralph has said that when he passes away, his wife and daughters will sell the team. Any ideas on what can be done to secure the team's future in WNY?

Just a thought... The "leaders" in Buffalo ought to start doing something NOW to keep the Bills in WNY. Ralph has said that when he passes away, his wife and daughters will sell the team. Any ideas on what can be done to secure the team's future in WNY?

380208[/snapback]

Keep Willis McGahee in a Bills uniform throughout his prime. Sorry, I couldn't resist crossing threads.

Tom Golisano would be the guy with the bucks to buy the Bills. However he could not continue owning the Sabres. Not sure if the NFL would grant an exception. Jeremy Jacobs also comes to mind, but the same deal with him and the Bruins. Bob Rich hasn't got enough $$$. The list of potential local owners is pretty short.

Then there is the question of whether the NFL would try to steer a deal to someone they want. Some one who may not have an interest in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Just remember what happened to the Buffalo Braves. John Y. Brown bought the team with the intention of moving them to Louisville or someplace like that. At the time, the Braves were a solid, competative, well-supported franchise, and the NBA nixed the move. Then ol' John Y set about scuttling the team, dumping Bob MacAdoo, etc, and sending the team right to the cellar. He then went back to the NBA as said "See, Buffalo doesn't support my team!" The Braves wound up in San Diego as the Clppers, and are now the LA Clippers, and they have sucked ever since.

I could see a scenario where an evil owner would wreck the Bills and claim a lack of support before moving the team. Let's face it. When the Bills stink, fans stay away. Just look at the attendance figures from 2000 when we were 3-13! I would hope that Bills fans would keep going to games and fight any attempt to have our franchise stolen from us.

PTR

380208[/snapback]

WE'RE DOOMED!! Am I first? :angry:

380208[/snapback]

have you been lurking and just now you ask this question

Tom Golisano would be the guy with the bucks to buy the Bills.  However he could not continue owning the Sabres.  Not sure if the NFL would grant an exception.  Jeremy Jacobs also comes to mind, but the same deal with him and the Bruins.  Bob Rich hasn't got enough $$$.  The list of potential local owners is pretty short. 

Then there is the question of whether the NFL would try to steer a deal to someone they want.  Some one who may not have an interest in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Just remember what happened to the Buffalo Braves.  John Y. Brown bought the team with the intention of moving them to Louisville or someplace like that.  At the time, the Braves were a solid, competative, well-supported franchise, and the NBA nixed the move.  Then ol' John Y set about scuttling the team, dumping Bob MacAdoo, etc, and sending the team right to the cellar.  He then went back to the NBA as said "See, Buffalo doesn't support my team!"  The Braves wound up in San Diego as the Clppers, and are now the LA Clippers, and they have sucked ever since.

I could see a scenario where an evil owner would wreck the Bills and claim a lack of support before moving the team.  Let's face it.  When the Bills stink, fans stay away.  Just look at the attendance figures from 2000 when we were 3-13!  I would hope that Bills fans would keep going to games and fight any attempt to have our franchise stolen from us.

PTR

380288[/snapback]

You're assuming that the NFL considers the NHL a professional sports league