(OT) List of NHL players who may not return

Spun

There may be other players too, not leaving because of age, but because they are done with the NHL. Maxim Afinogenov is rumored to have a contract with his Russian team, and is not coming back. Lets hope thats not true, because he will be a big part of the Sabres when hockey comes back.

This is nothing more than a list of the oldest players in the league that should retire soon. It has nothing to do with the lockout or harsh feelings towards the league. Not only that, but it was compiled in February, when the season was cancelled.

For the most part it was a great era up until the lockout.  Some of these guys may have lost heart as a result.

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/labour...ce-c31bee5b6aa2

Does anybody know if Luc Robitaille is related to Mike Robitaille (former Sabre)?

How about Yannick Perreault being related to Gilbert?

376827[/snapback]

Messier, Chelios and Hull should've called it quits years ago. Yzerman and Lemieux have been plagued by injuries recently. Stevens and MacInnis have both been slowing down and we all know about Hasek.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about Damphousse, Nummenien, and freaking Murray Baron.

Point is, no real surprise that these players may not return. They all probably should've quit before the lockout.

I think I'll wait for Chalkie G's take on this....Dude knows his hockey.

377186[/snapback]

Good man. :lol:

Northeast Division

Felix Potvin - Bruins - could still be a backup goalie somewhere, but the reigns will be handed over to Andrew Raycroft.

James Patrick - Sabres - class guy, but at 42....how long would he hold up?

Patrice Brisebois - Habs - he prolly won't retire, but he is very pricey, and very mediocre, albeit not old, 34.

Dominik Hasek - Senators - oddball extraordinaire. Says the league has to start up....it will. But will he stick around?

Peter Bondra - Sens - offered up nothing at the end of the last season. Waste of money.

The Toronto Dusties

Belfour - way too much money for a 40 year old goalie. Dem bones iz aboot to break.

Leetch - not the same player he once was.....and pricey.

Roberts - old, not very productive and expensive.....bad mix with the new CBA

Nieuwendyk - a bit like Roberts

Mogilny said he was going to retire, and Owen Nolan would cost Toronto a pretty penny as well.

Scott Stevens, battered, pricey, old.

Mariusz Czerkawski......prolly headed back to Europe.

Sean Burke.....old goalie caught in a numbers game in Philly.

John Leclair - old, awful contract, no production, injury problems.....Philly needs to waive goodbye.

Tony Amonte - Flyers don't want to deal with the salary, lack of production.

Vlad Malakhov - already left Philly

Rangers - Kasparaitis, Mironov, Messier, Holik, Jagr.....either too old, or too expensive. Rangers need to gut out the fat salaries and mediocre production.

Mario Lemieux should retire, but he prolly won't.

Other names around the league who are either aging, too expensive, dropping production, injury problems....or a combination: Glen Wesley, Shawn McEachern, Bret Hedican, Rod Brindamour, Sean Hill, Scott Mellanby, Alex Karpotsev, Tim Taylor, Arturs Irbe, Luke Richardson, the Detroit Dusties: Cujo, Chelios, Schneider, Hatcher, Lang, Yzerman......Jason York, Al MacInnis, Eric Weinrich, Dallas Drake, Bryan Savage, Igor Ulanov, Vincent Damphousse, maybe Rob Blake, Sergei Zubov, Don Sweeney, Pierre Turgeon, Rob Dimaio, Romie Chokemagic, Stephane Quintal, Luc Robitaille, Jason Allison, Adam Deadmarsh, Trent Klatt, probably Brett Hull........and probably some others.

;)

At the outset, I admit I haven't missed hockey at all. The NHL of recent years has been profoundly boring and most teams don't really compete.

OK.

If the early reports on the new deal are at all accurate, we're about to see a once-in-a-lifetime -- hell, a never-before-seen event in the history of an established sports league: the entire league, from top to bottom, is going to change rosters overwhelmingly before anyone plays again.

More than 60% of players are free agents NOW. Teams will have a one-time option to buy out contracts for 2/3 their value, which will separate even more players from their current teams. For example, even the Rangers couldn't be dumb enough to take advantage of this chance to clear out expensive dead wood.

There will be an insane scramble to sign new players under the cap, and when the smoke clears it will be like studying rosters in a new league (think of the WHA or USFL in their first years). The handful of teams with a good number of reasonably priced players already under contract (hello there, Mr. Golisano!) should have a huge head start on the 2005-06 season.

What I'm also curious about: hockey front offices strike me as generally the least smartly run in major sports (and I'm being kind). It'll be interesting to see which teams are actually prepared for this (the Devils?) and which ones mess it up like hockey always does (the Blackhawks?).

More than 60% of players are free agents NOW.  Teams will have a one-time option to buy out contracts for 2/3 their value, which will separate even more players from their current teams.  For example, even the Rangers couldn't be dumb enough to take advantage of this chance to clear out expensive dead wood.

377394[/snapback]

the rangers have 6 players on their roster at the moment. not much dead wood to clear out i'd say.

For example, even the Rangers couldn't be dumb enough to take advantage of this chance to clear out expensive dead wood.

377394[/snapback]

Oops. Meant to say the Rangers couldn't be dumb enough NOT to clear out dead wood, although it's been pointed out above they only have six players. (But if one of them is Lindros my observation stands.)

Is there a website that states who's still under contract, or which teams have how many players?

that is a very presitgious list of names on that list though. gives me chills to read it. those were the guys who played in the glory days of hockey. they should all retire though.. its a new era for hockey and them moving on would symbolize that.

377339[/snapback]

I like the idea that the changes in economic policy in the NHL will help dictate changes in on-ice personnel as well.

:devil: