Mouse traps

Frez

I would say it depends on the size. Where I live we have mice/rats nearby, and occasionally one makes it's way up to the house.

For small, field mouse size, I would go with one of those sticky traps. You can put it where you have seen the mouse hanging around with a little food in the middle. Put it up against a wall, since mice tend to run along walls anyways. Lot of times I just stick them there without any food and they just run over them anyway.

Large mice/rats tend to be able to get away from those. In that case, I would just go with the old fashioned spring loaded trap. They are less reliable, and you may have to set them a few times before they work, but they should get the job done.

Either one is going to be hell with 3 cats running around though. Can you close off your kitchen?

I had 6 small mice last December (you usually get more than 1, even if you think it's only 1). I set plastic snap traps with peanut butter & some glue traps near. 4 of the 6 got stuck in the glue, 2 were in the snap trap. Before I added the glue traps, one mouse ate all the peanut butter off the snap trap. Mine were in a confined area inside a cabinet where they were getting in and eating my oatmeal & noodles.

12 gauge.

376359[/snapback]

Too easy. Not enough of a sport with a 12 ga. Too much room for error. Use a .30-06. Play with him for a little while (shoot in front of him to scare him, clip him a few times, etc). Then finish him off.

Too easy. Not enough of a sport with a 12 ga. Too much room for error. Use a .30-06. Play with him for a little while (shoot in front of him to scare him, clip him a few times, etc). Then finish him off.

376364[/snapback]

Practice on the cats.

Dont feed the cats for a couple of days no more mouse.

Great advice. Not to starve them, but cut way down on their food and try to confine them in the area where the mouse is overnight with low lighting on.

Your cats may be too well fed and have forgotton their natural hunting instinct.

Practice on the cats.

376373[/snapback]

Too slow. Not enough of a challenge. Bunnies are much better targets. You have both horizontal and vertical leading to do.

I've used those humane (no-kill) traps before and they work pretty well, esp. when you have cats or dogs or kids in the house and can't use sticky pads or spring traps.

The drawbacks are that they are expensive and if you decide to release the mice rather than kill them, you should release them far from house, so they don't wander back in later.

I've used those humane (no-kill) traps before and they work pretty well,  esp. when you have cats or dogs or kids in the house and can't use sticky pads or spring traps. 

The drawbacks are that they are expensive and if you decide to release the mice rather than kill them, you should release them far from house, so they don't wander back in later.

376440[/snapback]

They make humane (no-kill) traps for rodents? :devil: Must be a PETA thing

I did...If they get into the trap once...they'll learn not to touch it again won't they...kinda like the stove....You tell them it's hot and not to touch...but damn if they don't go for it....and once they do...Never again.

I used to have an old dog that would eat anything. He'd always try to get the bait off the trap. Most times he just spring the trap and then lick all the peanut butter off bait pad. Sometimes he get it in the nose but a day or so later, he'd forget the pain and be right back at it. We weren't catching any mice because of it.

He couldn't get to the peanut butter in the tube traps, so he'd leave them alone after awhile.

If you want to make sure the mice don't come back, you should kill them after you clear the trap.