Durbin should be ****

ignorant comments like he made on the senate floor is pretty much the reason why the democrats are in the shape that they are in. Who in thier right min can support such anti-american statements and people.

He clearly said this for effect. Whats next, will he come back out on the senate floor today and cry? That seems to be the flavor of the month...lets have a good cry together on the senate floor.

Edited by KRC

ignorant comments like he made on the senate floor is pretty much the reason why the democrats are in the shape that they are in. Who in thier right min can support such anti-american statements and people.

He clearly said this for effect. Whats next, will he come back out on the senate floor today and cry? That seems to be the flavor of the month...lets have a good cry together on the senate floor.

360035[/snapback]

Link?

Link?

360066[/snapback]

Durbin should be wearing a Turbin

My god man! What the hell is wrong with these idiots? Maybe Durbin should take a look at a history book and see what the Nazis, Pol Pot, Soviets in their gulags really did to their captives. I am not saying the events at Guantanamo Bay are a picnic for the prisoners there but is that what Durbin wants? Flowers on their lunch table with linen napkins?

Kinda makes you wonder what was edited....

Nah, never mind.

360105[/snapback]

You're talking about the WSJ there. Not the NY Times or LA Times or Boston Globe or any of those other propaganda pages.

He called our soldiers Nazis, even IF it was an indirect reference, he ought to be censured.

Those comments were way out of line. I dont care HOW you feel about Gitmo. Comparing it to the prison camps of the Third Reich, Stalinist Russia and Pol Pot?

Insane.

Furthermore....isnt this "abuse" that these prisoners enduring very similar to what typical American prisoners endure in solitary confinement in our prison system? Not sure, but it seems so.

Loud rap music and a room too hot.....OH THE HORROR....sounds like the DMV waiting room in Westbury to me.

You're talking about the WSJ there. Not the NY Times or LA Times or Boston Globe or any of those other propaganda pages.

He called our soldiers Nazis, even IF it was an indirect reference, he ought to be censured.

360117[/snapback]

True, but I meant from Rich's post.

The murdering scum in Gitmo get air conditioning while out fighting men have to wear heavy uniforms and armor while the temperatures are around 110 already.

Impeach Durbin!

what Durbin said:

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime--Pol Pot or others--that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners."

Where did he call anyone a Nazi?

what Durbin said:

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime--Pol Pot or others--that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners."

360237[/snapback]

"What Americans had done.....you would most certainly believe...[this was]....done by Nazis..."

Its a pretty lousy and downright false thing to say, no matter how you slice it up.

what Durbin said:

360237[/snapback]

Cleary you can see that Americans, Nazis and Soviets were all used in the same run on sentence. It is clear as day to me.

"What Americans had done.....you would most certainly believe...[this was]....done by Nazis..."

Its a pretty lousy and downright false thing to say, no matter how you slice it up.

360288[/snapback]

Dick Durbin should stop using Rhetorical devices that point out that American behaviour should never be that of the Nazi's.

By doing this he is hurting peoples feelings and must stop.

After all it is a choice between Torture or Nuclear holocaust, isn't it?

Dick Durbin should stop using Rhetorical devices that point out that American behaviour should never be that of the Nazi's.

By doing this he is hurting peoples feelings and must stop.

After all it is a choice between Torture or Nuclear holocaust, isn't it?

360406[/snapback]

No. American behavior should never be that of Nazis.

But I advise you to bone up on the subject of how prisoners of Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot were treated and then get back to us.

Nice try, though.

No. American behavior should never be that of Nazis.

But I advise you to bone up on the subject of how prisoners of Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot were treated and then get back to us.

Nice try, though.

360412[/snapback]

My point is that James Taranto, the WSJ’s resident retard, is throwing out a little red meat hyperbole:

"We are fighting an enemy that murdered 3,000 innocent people on American soil 3 1/2 years ago and would murder millions more if given the chance--and according to Dick Durbin, our soldiers are the Nazis."

My point is that James Taranto, the WSJ’s resident retard, is throwing out a little red meat hyperbole:

"We are fighting an enemy that murdered 3,000 innocent people on American soil 3 1/2 years ago and would murder millions more if given the chance--and according to Dick Durbin, our soldiers are the Nazis."

360439[/snapback]

and?????

360439[/snapback]

if you think Taranto is a retard what does that make Durbin?

Durbin should be ashamed of what he said. These prisoners in gitmo are being treated pretty well considering who they are. They do NOT fall under the Geneva Conventions because they are not a uniformed, legitimate military. These aren't members of the Republican Guard or anything like that. These are people who dress like civilians and cut off American heads. We don't technically have to treat them this well, but we do. How come we never hear anything about that?

360439[/snapback]

It IS "red meat", but there is at least an element of truth to it. What Durban said isnt even CLOSE to the truth.

We should close down Gitmo ASAP.

Send the towel heads that we have now over to Israel. They know how to treat prisioners over there. :blush:

Oh, and I'm tired of heard left wing a-holes like Durbin and the professor in Colorado making parallels of the USA and the Nazis. The Nazis killed 6? Million Jews in concentration camps. How many prisioners have died at Gitmo? How many of those bastards at Gitmo are just skin and bones?

These kinds of parallels are an insult to the USA and the horrors that the Jewish community had to go through in WWII.

Burn in hell Durbin...

Damn you Durbin for using clumbsy hypotheticals to finish your point with 30 seconds left in your alloted time to defend the Geneva Convention, Damn you to Hell.

360535[/snapback]

The Geneva Convention doesnt apply to prisoners at GTMO.

Strike Two, Reuben.

what Durbin said:

360237[/snapback]

Actually, I see the point being made and the justified criticism of his remarks. He said that the treatment of the prisoners directly equates to the Nazi's, Soviet's, and Pol Pot's treatment of prisoners. Saying that if you leave out the fact that it was an FBI report about Gitmo, you would not be able to tell the difference between the American's treatment of the detainees and the Nazi's, Soviet's and Pol Pot's treatment of their prisoners. It is a direct comparison and highly irresponsible. It also shows blatant ignorance of history on the part of Durbin. How many millions were slaughtered at the hands of those brutal regimes? It does not even come close to what is happening at Gitmo.

Isn't ANYBODY getting tired of this Gitmo argument? Once again, inflamatory partisan politics at it's best, and everyone suckers into it. Durbin knows damn well that he's WAY off base - just providing rhetoric. either that, or he's incredibly stupid. The number two guy of either party is supposed to be the rabble-rouser. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go for option A. All this is is an attempt to muddy the waters. Doesn't have to be accurate or have a point. He could have just said "Bush Bad", and in the grand scheme it has the same effect.

Once again, as with anything else - if this is such a travesty, where is the proposed logical solution? Right, there isn't one. Buying in to every single piece of junk fro either side is eventually going to really get someone's eyes WAY off the ball. As far as I'm concerned, the more the administration has to defend itself from a segment of the American people, the more diluted the fight against the bad guys becomes. But, letting people do their jobs seems to beyond many "experts".

read the congressional record and see if you think that Taranto is fairly characterizing the scope and content of Durbin's speech:

in pdf: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...94&position=all

360504[/snapback]

While I agree with alot of what was said along the way, Durbin committed the cardinal sin of going one step too far and crushing his own argument with unneeded rhetoric. Anyone who compares turning on or off air conditioning or not taking prisoners to the bathroom for 18-24 hours to the worst murderers in human history is undermining themselves (that's being very charitable).

Idle curiosity. What is Durbin doing with a field agent's email? And - what is the philosophical make-up of this particular "FBI agent"? I'm not saying the person is liberal, conservative or whatever - might just be a different level of sensitivity. Has it occured to anyone that this person's idea of "torture" might not be someone elses? I don't know that what was going on was ever described that way by the author of the email. As far as I know, it could have been an objective AAR - that the Democrat operatives got their hands on, and made their own story twist out of it.

If anyone here seriously considers cold airconditioning and Rap music to be unspeakable torture...I simply don't know WHAT to say, except perhaps to call you "victim" someday.

While I agree with alot of what was said along the way, Durbin committed the cardinal sin of going one step too far and crushing his own argument with unneeded rhetoric.  Anyone who compares turning on or off air conditioning or not taking prisoners to the bathroom for 18-24 hours to the worst murderers in human history is undermining themselves (that's being very charitable).

360585[/snapback]

Very well said.

Here's some articles for those who are confused about what a gulag is. The North Korean gulags are a direct decendant of Stalin's.

Death, terror in N. Korea gulag

Former Guard: Ahn Myong Chol

A Survivor: Soon Ok Lee

Child prisoner: Kang Chol Hwan

The Hidden Gulag: Exposing North Korea’s Prison Camps; Prisoners’ Testimonies and Satellite Photographs

I could find plenty of more sources, but I can only stand so much. Questioning the methods and manner of Gitmo detention is a legitimate discussion to have. Comparing it to a Nazi concentration camp or a gulag identifies the source as an imbecile.

Isn't ANYBODY getting tired of this Gitmo argument? Once again, inflamatory partisan politics at it's best, and everyone suckers into it. Durbin knows damn well that he's WAY off base - just providing rhetoric. either that, or he's incredibly stupid. The number two guy of either party is supposed to be the rabble-rouser. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go for option A. All this is is an attempt to muddy the waters. Doesn't have to be accurate or have a point. He could have just said "Bush Bad", and in the grand scheme it has the same effect.

Once again, as with anything else - if this is such a travesty, where is the proposed logical solution? Right, there isn't one. Buying in to every single piece of junk fro either side is eventually going to really get someone's eyes WAY off the ball. As far as I'm concerned, the more the administration has to defend itself from a segment of the American people, the more diluted the fight against the bad guys becomes. But, letting people do their jobs seems to beyond many "experts".

360561[/snapback]

:unsure: