I have a new toy, but is it really new?

7 hours ago, Draconator said:

hohner.thumb.jpg.b6c9fdefb547bff3fe08bd4ab925840b.jpg

Nice!  In the late 80s I had a headless Yamaha bass. I have a friend who has played headless basses exclusively since the 80s (and still does). 

Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DD4Bills said:

Looks like what Geddy Lee played for a while in the late 80 early 90s, although I think he played a Steinberger.

gl bass.jpg

Yep. He used a Steinberger on the Grace Under Pressure album and tour (1984). This picture was from the end of the Signals tour. (82-83). In the late 80s way early 90s, he used Wal Basses. in 1993 is when he switched back to his Fender Jazz and used that forever. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nice!  In the late 80s I had a headless Yamaha bass. I have a friend who has played headless basses exclusively since the 80s (and still does). 

Enjoy!

If I get a bonus from my upcoming work promotion, I might spring the $4000 plus on a Steinberger. 

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

very nice 🙂 I know that instruments increase in value over time too. Fun to play AND an investment should you need to part with it.  

Do you ever put tape on the back frets so you can see better in the dark? I know you play gigs at venues. My son who plays bass used too do that with all his band instruments. Some guitars he would take on tour. Others Never Ever.

His main ax was a blonde then black Gibson Ripper. The bass that Gene Simmons used in KISS

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Do you ever put tape on the back frets so you can see better in the dark? I know you play gigs at venues. My son who plays bass used too do that with all his band instruments. Some guitars he would take on tour. Others Never Ever.

I never thought of placing tape on the back of the frets. There is a muscle memory adjustment with this bass. But It was easy to get used to, so more often than not, I play the bass without looking at the fretboard. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I never thought of placing tape on the back of the frets. There is a muscle memory adjustment with this bass. But It was easy to get used to, so more often than not, I play the bass without looking at the fretboard. 

the basslines Nathan were playing were integral to the songs melody a lot of the times. I think he did it for precision and to make sure to be in tune. I understand what you are saying. He may be unique in taping his fret board but that was his practice. He plays guitar and bass but I never noticed he taping his regular guitars. Now I'll have to ask him about this 🙂 

• Like (+1) 1

Admittedly, also, when I read a thread about a new toy, I immediately thought of Tom Brady's best friend -- that was thrown on to the field.

Oh.  It's a sweet copy of legendary music gear?  Geddy Lee, wearing shiny pants, plays a similar instrument?  They did not throw this bass guitar onto the field in Orchard Park?  This thread reinforces the magical nature of the internet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Admittedly, also, when I read a thread about a new toy, I immediately thought of Tom Brady's best friend -- that was thrown on to the field.

Oh.  It's a sweet copy of legendary music gear?  Geddy Lee, wearing shiny pants, plays a similar instrument?  They did not throw this bass guitar onto the field in Orchard Park?  This thread reinforces the magical nature of the internet.

I mean, they both look the same...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:21 AM, Gugny said:

Enjoy!

I play a headless, fretless, stringless bass.  Only I can hear it, but man do I sound good!

• Haha (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I play a headless, fretless, stringless bass.  Only I can hear it, but man do I sound good!

I've been thinking recently that we should make more albums for dogs (love 'em), like this jam that you can only hear at 20k or higher.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I've been thinking recently that we should make more albums for dogs (love 'em), like this jam that you can only hear at 20k or higher.

And then do blindfold listening tests to see if a human audience can distinguish that from John Cage's 4'33"

• Haha (+1) 2