Building around Josh

On 5/16/2024 at 10:45 PM, NeverOutNick said:

First off I want to say I respect Beane’s game. He always finds a way to fill holes and gives McD as much depth as possible every year to keep the team competitive. He did a great job putting make up on an ugly pig of a WR group after the draft. BUT what if we went all in on surrounding Josh with as much young cheap talent as possible. What if Beane didn’t play it safe year in and year out with high character dependable players and went with some potential home run hitters.

Humor me and lets play this out, let’s reverse time back to this epic 2024 WR draft. AD Mitchell and Troy Franklin may have had some character flaws that dropped them a bit in the draft but their talent is undeniable.

In a year where even before we lost Davis and Diggs we needed another young WR, let’s pretend that we did something unconventional and actually took 3 WR in the first 3 rounds! 🤯

Now how would this play out?

Pick 33 is still Coleman and we got some draft capital 

pick 51 or higher (trade a 5th this year and a 3rd next year) AD Mitchell

Pick 95 Troy Franklin

The rest of the draft stays the same 

BUT wait we don’t have Bishop at safety or Carter at DT whatever will we do!?!

Hmmm maybe this year we let McD get a couple FAs to plug and play. Maybe we don’t go dumpster diving for leftover WRs and instead grab a couple veteran defensive players instead.

Why not sign Justin Simmons and Calais Campbell and then next year when it’s a better defensive draft you can address the DT spot

Josh now has Coleman, AD Mitchell, Troy Franklin, Khalil Shakir, and Curtis Samuel…oh and McD can have his special teams WR with the last spot too in Hollins, Shavers or Shorter. You know you’d love that WR corps and so would Josh for the next 4+ years

Again, Beane did a great job making the best out of a bad situation with his WR room but man what could’ve been if he just leaned into helping his franchise QB out long term instead of short term bandaids. 

get a life

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

2024: 2nd technically, but should count as a 1st given we would have taken Coleman or another WR at 28

Why should that count?  Beane had a chance to take the 5th WR in the draft.  Worthy, Pearsall, Legette, Coleman, McConkey, and Polk were all on the board at 28 and wound up going in the next 10 picks.  Beane clearly didn’t have a strong feeling regarding who would be the best of that bunch, so instead of picking at 28, Beane elected to move down twice and drafted at 33, sacrificing the 5th year option in the process.  The net return he got amounted to a late 5th round pick equivalent.

He didn’t trade back 5 spots in a vacuum, though.  He traded with the Chiefs.  Now Beane may not have had a strong opinion about who the best WR from that group would be, but clearly Andy Reid and Brett Veach did.  They are the best front office in the league, so you pretty much have to assume that they weren’t after a dud.  So however many of those 6 WRs in that pool are actual studs, there’s probably going to be 1 fewer after the Chiefs picked.

But that’s not all.  If you listed out the top front offices excluding Buffalo’s, most would have (in no particular order) Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Baltimore.  In trading back four spots with KC, three of those four elite front offices got to select their guys before Buffalo.  Those franchises are routinely competing for championships because they consistently draft top talent.  Hoping those guys get it wrong seems like a huge risk.  And even if they do, it still doesn’t guarantee that the guy Beane picks is going to be a hit.

I’ll concede that Beane knew who Carolina was picking, or they wouldn’t have agreed to that swap, but there’s no way they knew who KC, Dallas, Baltimore, or San Francisco were after.  Short of getting a king’s ransom, which clearly didn’t happen, there’s no way I’m letting my biggest rival guarantee that they get their top target.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Why should that count?  Beane had a chance to take the 5th WR in the draft.  Worthy, Pearsall, Legette, Coleman, McConkey, and Polk were all on the board at 28 and wound up going in the next 10 picks.  Beane clearly didn’t have a strong feeling regarding who would be the best of that bunch, so instead of picking at 28, Beane elected to move down twice and drafted at 33, sacrificing the 5th year option in the process.  The net return he got amounted to a late 5th round pick equivalent.

He didn’t trade back 5 spots in a vacuum, though.  He traded with the Chiefs.  Now Beane may not have had a strong opinion about who the best WR from that group would be, but clearly Andy Reid and Brett Veach did.  They are the best front office in the league, so you pretty much have to assume that they weren’t after a dud.  So however many of those 6 WRs in that pool are actual studs, there’s probably going to be 1 fewer after the Chiefs picked.

But that’s not all.  If you listed out the top front offices excluding Buffalo’s, most would have (in no particular order) Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Baltimore.  In trading back four spots with KC, three of those four elite front offices got to select their guys before Buffalo.  Those franchises are routinely competing for championships because they consistently draft top talent.  Hoping those guys get it wrong seems like a huge risk.  And even if they do, it still doesn’t guarantee that the guy Beane picks is going to be a hit.

I’ll concede that Beane knew who Carolina was picking, or they wouldn’t have agreed to that swap, but there’s no way they knew who KC, Dallas, Baltimore, or San Francisco were after.  Short of getting a king’s ransom, which clearly didn’t happen, there’s no way I’m letting my biggest rival guarantee that they get their top target.

Hey, not sure if anyone has mentioned it - but thanks for giving us Cole Bishop for nothing!