Rd 7, Pick 221: OT Travis Clayton

4 hours ago, Bill Grundy said:

In terms of rugby positions …

there are very few similarities in the two games skill wise

In terms of OT, absolutely zero. At best a front row. But it’s just not comparable.

Matt Milano has skills that might make him a good player at centre or flanker in rugby. But it doesn’t really work both ways. And hardly at all on offense.

For the record, the guy Rees Zammit who KC got. He plays the same position as this lad. It could potentially be transferred to half back or wide receiver. But probably not.

But zammit was an excellent international pro. One of the best in the game. This boy played for a pub team. It’s too much to call him a rugby player. I work with a boy who plays at a higher level than this lad on the weekends 

He’s just big. But he’s not a sportsman.

if he IS … then this is the greatest spot in history.

ignore this quote bit below. Messed up my post on my phone and can’t change it 

Calling him now a sportsman is kind of b*******

He's 6'7 300 lb... And runs a 4.7 forty 

He's an insane athlete..  I don't care if he played bar League rugby or tennis at a country club 

His size and speed is world class... And you could take a few years to mold him into whatever you want 

Patrick Ricard is a 300 lb fullback.. you can see if he can figure out full back over 2 years behind Gilliam.. get him to lose 20 lb and see if he can catch a ball at TE

You can take 3 years and see if you can develop him as a swing tackle.. give him the ball on the 1 yard line 

Obviously it's a pick that probably will not pan out..  but at the end of the draft you can never go wrong taking an athletic specimen 

He is far from your average athlete with his size and running ability

• Like (+1) 2

My hope is that Clayton makes the 53, and they use him in those Jumbo packages they love to run. I hated those plays last season. They were useless, and ineffectual. But, imagine Clayton, at 300lb+ with that speed, in a Jumbo package announced as an eligible receiver? That could be fun.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Calling him now a sportsman is kind of b*******

He's 6'7 300 lb... And runs a 4.7 forty 

He's an insane athlete..  I don't care if he played bar League rugby or tennis at a country club 

His size and speed is world class... And you could take a few years to mold him into whatever you want 

Patrick Ricard is a 300 lb fullback.. you can see if he can figure out full back over 2 years behind Gilliam.. get him to lose 20 lb and see if he can catch a ball at TE

You can take 3 years and see if you can develop him as a swing tackle.. give him the ball on the 1 yard line 

Obviously it's a pick that probably will not pan out..  but at the end of the draft you can never go wrong taking an athletic specimen 

He is far from your average athlete with his size and running ability

I accept what you are saying. But an athlete and a sportsman aren't quite the same thing. I don't doubt his physical and athletic attributes. But talent is another thing. If you can take a guy whose previous sporting job is simply to run fast past men half his size at the lowest sporting level - and turn him into an NFL tackle ... then that coaching team are geniuses. I mean, I hope to be proven wrong. But I'd be worried if this lad was selected for my local rugby team. Let alone my favourite NFL franchise. 

But, yes, I agree he's an athlete. I'm not just sure that's the same thing as a sportsman - in my definition of the term. Looks like he's turned his hand at a few and not made the grade. Mad if he eventually makes it probably the most elite sport in the world. 

Edited by Bill Grundy

12 hours ago, Bill Grundy said:

I accept what you are saying. But an athlete and a sportsman aren't quite the same thing. I don't doubt his physical and athletic attributes. But talent is another thing. If you can take a guy whose previous sporting job is simply to run fast past men half his size at the lowest sporting level - and turn him into an NFL tackle ... then that coaching team are geniuses. I mean, I hope to be proven wrong. But I'd be worried if this lad was selected for my local rugby team. Let alone my favourite NFL franchise. 

But, yes, I agree he's an athlete. I'm not just sure that's the same thing as a sportsman - in my definition of the term. Looks like he's turned his hand at a few and not made the grade. Mad if he eventually makes it probably the most elite sport in the world. 

Well to be fair the definition of sportsman is somebody who engages in sports... And it's actually used for hunters or fishers usually including in the definition 

If you're playing sports at 20 years old for a club.. I would call you a sportsman or an athlete or whatever you want to be called 

It certainly isn't playing t-ball at 5 years old... 

This is called a lottery pick... And professional coaches are professional for a reason.. they are trained to get the best out of people

• Awesome! (+1) 1