Why the Bills don't "need" a traditional X receiver

Mikey152

11 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I shared a link that has his routes ran and catches against man... actually, the whole NFL. 

Most of the Bills routes are vs zone in that link. It also shows you the league runs zone defense. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, we've talked before, you know I acknowledge that when it comes to watching broadcast film I have "slow eyes" and need all-22 and a couple watchings to know what I'm seeing....but to my eyes, we had real problems beating man coverage last season and that includes Diggs, at least in the 2nd half of the season.

It wasn't always press, in that JT O'Sullivan QB School youtube vid on the division game vs KC you can see routes where Snead just sat back and waited for Diggs route to bring him to him, basically - he must have felt pretty confident he understood what route concepts were going to be run from different sets and cues.

I think Sneed was confident playing off man because diggs wasn't running with the speed he was 2 years ago 

Whether that back injury did hamper him.. and he was playing through it 

Or he physically is losing it, or a combination of both 

Sneed is able to sit away from Diggs comfortably because he's not afraid he will run away from him... So he can basically sit on a hook/slant or if diggs tries to run by he isn't worried about turning his hips and running

Nobody is arguing the Bills don't need guys that can separate and generate YAC...it was a huge problem last season.

The point is, there are lots of guys in the draft this year that excel at that, so we should be excited. But instead, lots of posters want to trade our whole draft for a big-bodied traditional X. We don't need that to accomplish the goal, especially if we plan on running 12 personnel at any kind of decent clip.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most of the Bills routes are vs zone in that link. It also shows you the league runs zone defense. 

Just gotta scroll man.. 

it has all their routes vs man and vs zone. 

Diggs ran 168 routes vs man and had 26 catches.... just control F 26 

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Just gotta scroll man.. 

it has all their routes vs man and vs zone. 

Diggs ran 168 routes vs man and had 26 catches.... just control F 26 

I know. And he ran 354 routes vs zone.

The Browns were the #1 team running man just 42% of the time. Most teams run man less than 30% of the time.

You want WRs that understand zone and can beat zone. You’d love to have a WR that beats both zone and man.

We shouldn’t be looking for a man beater. We need a zone beater.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know. And he ran 354 routes vs zone.

The Jets were the #1 team running man just 42% of the time. Most teams run man less than 30% of the time.

You want WRs that understand zone and can beat zone. You’d love to have a WR that beats both zone and man.

Right but if you can't beat man, you can't beat the Chiefs. 

The Bills play 98% zone (just ball parking because it's a lot) and we can't beat a starting QB in the playoffs. We have not beaten a team above the 5 seed. You need to effectively play man in some capacity to win. 

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

The Bills play 98% zone (just ball parking because it's a lot) and we can't beat a starting QB in the playoffs. We have not beaten a team above the 5 seed. You need to effectively play man in some capacity to win. 

The Chiefs run man more than most, 35%. But Allen hasn’t had much problem vs them lately.

That link tells you how much the Bills play zone vs man. 21% man which is 19th.  76% zone which is 14th.

I wouldn’t play much man either.

Buffalo’s coverage weakness is in man, from which the team has allowed 9.5 yards per coverage target, a first down or a touchdown on 57.3% of plays and a 21.7% explosive play rate — all of which are bottom-two marks in the league.

40 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Nobody is arguing the Bills don't need guys that can separate and generate YAC...it was a huge problem last season.

The point is, there are lots of guys in the draft this year that excel at that, so we should be excited. But instead, lots of posters want to trade our whole draft for a big-bodied traditional X. We don't need that to accomplish the goal, especially if we plan on running 12 personnel at any kind of decent clip.

If your point is that the Bills should be very very very sure and then be even more sure before trading, not the entire draft, but maybe top picks from this year AND next...I agree with you

If your point is the Bills don't need a guy who can play X or boundary receiver because we can put 2 TE on the line and play our receivers off ball - I disagree

My caveat being that I think what you need there is a guy who is "sturdy enough" and "big enough" and "fast enough" combined with being a human who is "very good at football" as Dawkins once said of Diggs....sure other things being equal as @Buffalo716 take the guy who is bigger and faster....but chasing size and speed in receivers sometimes mean you wind up with a guy who is not as good at playing football as a guy with OK size but great moves and hands....mensa conclusion I know

37 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I think this ball-parking is incorrect.....the Bills play a lot more man than you think.  The reason they wanted Elam, of course, is that Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson were Burnt Toast playing man, that's one of the things we lost when Tre White was injured.  But with Benford and Douglas I think they played man last year more than you'd think.