Where will you watch the eclipse?

Simon

17 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Another cool time lapse

One of the friends we went 'eclipse hunting' with told me not to bother trying to take photos, as people with better cameras would be posting them.

Getting the right filters and such, at least one can take pictures of the sun now. Setting up for the eclipse opened the door to other shooting not normally done.

Not as good as the West Seneca police, but epic still the same:

TotalEclipseOfTheCat.thumb.jpg.ffe16fab6888615b20429a8aad340376.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Unfortunately, the mirrorless lens lineup has a lot of holes in it. So they are much more expensive, but there are some good options and some average options. I’m not really sure there’s a perfect lineup of lenses to get quite yet.

The perfect lineup is called get a Pentax.

No holes in the Pentax lens line up for mirrorless... Pentax cameras are totally backwards compatible with any Pentax lens ever made.  Sure you won't get all the modern features, but you can always shoot pure manual mode with the +50 year old lens or even the one's you can match pre K-mount days.

They were a little bit late into the digital game, but Pentax came on strong, did it right and now are here to stay!  Why I stayed with them, I have no wasted glass acting as paper weights.

6 hours ago, SDS said:

If I was buying a landscape lens, and I stayed with Canon, my first take would be getting this lens:

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf14-35mm-f4-l-is-usm?color=Black&type=New#toreviews

I'm blown away by those Canon rf models, but I'll never be a good enough photographer to be worthy of a $1000+ lens. I was looking for something more along the lines of around 1/2-3/4 of that amount for the whole rig.

Maybe at this point I'd be smarter to stick with DSLR, sacrifice a few modern conveniences, and get more bang for the buck on the hardware. At least until I have a better idea of how well and how often I'd use it. Does that make sense?

9 hours ago, Simon said:

I take 90% of my pics outdoors in beautiful landscape scenery, typically many miles from roads so I want something light/compact in my pack but w/o sacrificing too much quality (e.g. I carry one of these instead of an actual tripod). I'm leaning toward mirrorless when I pull the trigger as that seems to be the future and I get the sense that you would also get better quality in a smaller package (that is not what she said). However I haven't used an actual SLR in 30yrs and was never that great with it, so I also need something that is virtually beginner level for me to learn on.

I used to carry one of the EOS entry level DSLR's with multiple lenses when I was hiking.  Now, this is what I carry, small, compact, fits in my pocket, has a good optical zoom on it.  

PowerShot SX740 HS Black (canon.com)

I had also bought this one at the same time to compare, but except for the additional zoom, I did not see any difference in picture quality to my untrained eye.  Plus, I liked that with the SX740 I could just slip it in my pocket.

PowerShot SX70 HS (canon.com)

People are amazed at some of the pics I get with the 740.  

Here's one album of mine...

Black Bear Mountain near Old Forge, NY

I'll also take it to concerts...

(EDIT: I was sitting near the back of section 202 or 204, using the zoom to get these shots Lakeview Amphitheater Seating Chart)

Chris Stapleton at Lakeview

And my nephews/nieces sporting events...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NRsoutSCayV7FndH9

Edited by Just Jack
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/9/2024 at 12:28 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

West of Cleveland was cloudless @ times... Then a little later just high wispy cirrus clouds. 

I took my glasses off for totality... Then hunting around on camera LCD and could find nothing but black... I forgot to take lens filter off! 4 minutes goes by fast when things are going wrong. I wish I clould have practiced this thing!😕 

Eclipse_04082024(M).thumb.jpg.8cc3a284559ca260db64df19bf752e1f.jpg

rule…first eclipse…just watch and experience. Second one play with your camera.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:59 AM, QCity said:

20 years from now - Glacier National Park. That's your head's up.

I did thr 2012 annual at Grand Canyon and 2027 total st grand Teton.

I was at my sisters friends in the 219/90 area. It was mostly cloudy.

I was in clear skies for 2012 and 2027. 

2027 totality was a narrower band than this one where time was around 3:20 vs 3:45. at totality in 2017 it was more like a dimmer switch on an overhead light making it darker but you had horizon blue skies.

with it being overcast you can see the shadow coming and thrn dhafoe made it like midfle of the night thrn you could see something like a sunrise coming in the western ski.

I hope to be alive in 2044 and 2045 to see the eclipses. I’ll be in my mid 70s

the 2045 one in glacier. This is near the edge of totality and I have to check times and dunpositions if I want to do it from therr ve sunset in eastern montana/ western nd ( theodorecroosevelt  rlt np)

the 2045 crosses the country through south/ central utah and Colorado hitting a bunch of national parks.

I plan on going to the 2026 eclipse in august in Spain.

others…

the 2027 one will be a long one with sound 6:30 in totality. The longest possible is 7:32 in totality. This one hits far southern Spain, gilbtalter, north Morocco and it crosses nw to se Egypt 

Nov 2030 there is one that crosses South Africa and Australia

2033 one crosses Africa but it’s just off the coast of Ghana ( relatively sadder place to go for it)

in Xmas 2038 time one crosses Australia and New Zealand 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

rule…first eclipse…just watch and experience. Second one play with your camera.

I did thr 2012 annual at Grand Canyon and 2027 total st grand Teton.

I was at my sisters friends in the 219/90 area. It was mostly cloudy.

I was in clear skies for 2012 and 2027. 

2027 totality was a narrower band than this one where time was around 3:20 vs 3:45. at totality in 2017 it was more like a dimmer switch on an overhead light making it darker but you had horizon blue skies.

with it being overcast you can see the shadow coming and thrn dhafoe made it like midfle of the night thrn you could see something like a sunrise coming in the western ski.

I hope to be alive in 2044 and 2045 to see the eclipses. I’ll be in my mid 70s

the 2045 one in glacier. This is near the edge of totality and I have to check times and dunpositions if I want to do it from therr ve sunset in eastern montana/ western nd ( theodorecroosevelt  rlt np)

the 2045 crosses the country through south/ central utah and Colorado hitting a bunch of national parks.

I plan on going to the 2026 eclipse in august in Spain.

others…

the 2027 one will be a long one with sound 6:30 in totality. The longest possible is 7:32 in totality. This one hits far southern Spain, gilbtalter, north Morocco and it crosses nw to se Egypt 

Nov 2030 there is one that crosses South Africa and Australia

2033 one crosses Africa but it’s just off the coast of Ghana ( relatively sadder place to go for it)

in Xmas 2038 time one crosses Australia and New Zealand 

I still watched it in all it's glory! That's printed in my memory!

Yet... You gotta learn it somehow... The camera aspect. I will be a pro for my next eclipse shooting.  I learned so much more shooting it for the duration. Exposures, my camera, etc... Such a valuable learning experience!

I just need better time management.  I didn't think it was that critical.  Every second in totality counts when shooting.

I didn't think it was gonna be that dark in totality.  I knew you could take off glasses off, but didn't realize lens filter must come off to. Pretty stupid I know, but 4 minutes breeze by when your staring up in awe...

Totally slipped my mind that street lights would come on.