Haason Reddick Traded to Jets

bills742

13 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

The thing that scares me is if they hit on a QB.  A good defense.  A solid offense.  And if they get a young QB playing on a rookie deal - they could be a real contender.  Not concerned with Aaron Rodgers though.  Dude is done.

Don't worry too much.  The Jests haven't hit on a QB in 2 decades (Chad Pennington, 2000), and they've only hit on 2 QBs in the draft in 60 years (Namath).   It's not that they haven't tried: Mark Sanchez (#5) in 2009, Sam Darnold (#3) in 2018, Zach Wilson (#2) in 2021.   Chicago, Washington, and NE all need QBs, so I doubt they'll trade out of the top three spots.  The Giants may take a QB at #6.  That leaves the Jests to go for one of the lesser QBs -- or trade up to get ahead of the Giants for the fourth best QB in the draft. 

30 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

The Jets sold their souls to win Super Bowl 3.  They’ll be paying for it forever.  Two years ago, Breece Hall got injured.  Last year it was Rodgers.  I expect injuries on their defense this year.

Pay back is a you-know-what!!!!   Then again, I have to thank them for their sacrifice!

51 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I agree. And yet they beat us last season and the one before. With their additions this past off-season they will be better. That's all I'm saying. We too have "new" OC and new DC. We will see.

I agree to a point. Highlighted above: If we lost Josh last season on opening day our season would have been even messier than it was. Not many teams in teh NFL can overcome that. Anyway, we will see. Exciting games coming this season that's for sure!

Divisional games are always wars, especially for the divisional doormats.  When the Raiders finally beat the Chiefs in KC a few years ago, they drove their team buses around the stadium jeering all the way.   Sweeping divisional rivals is exceptionally hard.

Losing your starting QB is almost always a disaster but good FOs can sometimes mitigate the problem.   When the Vikings lost Cousins, they traded for Joshua Dobbs.  When the Browns lost Watson, they brought in Flacco -- and they made the playoffs.  IMO, the Jests FO just gave up when Rodgers went down and Wilson quickly demonstrated he wasn't a NFL QB.  That's a loser's attitude.   

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Don't worry too much.  The Jests haven't hit on a QB in 2 decades (Chad Pennington, 2000), and they've only hit on 2 QBs in the draft in 60 years (Namath).   It's not that they haven't tried: Mark Sanchez (#5) in 2009, Sam Darnold (#3) in 2018, Zach Wilson (#2) in 2021.   Chicago, Washington, and NE all need QBs, so I doubt they'll trade out of the top three spots.  The Giants may take a QB at #6.  That leaves the Jests to go for one of the lesser QBs -- or trade up to get ahead of the Giants for the fourth best QB in the draft. 

Pay back is a you-know-what!!!!   Then again, I have to thank them for their sacrifice!

ya. Same as us until Josh.   And a “lesser QB” because they are drafted later is a bad rubric.  By this measure, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Roger’s and Ben Roethlisbirger were all “lesser QBs”. 

Edited by JimBob2232

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

ya. Same as us until Josh.   And a “lesser QB” because they are drafted later is a bad rubric.  By this measure, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Roger’s and Ben Roethlisbirger were all “lesser QBs”.

All four of those QBs were considered likely to go in the top ten.  In fact, Rodgers was expected to go #1 overall in 2005.   I think that QBs that aren't/weren't considered likely to go at the top half of the first round and who were drafted in the second half of the first round are those I'd consider "lesser QBs":  Lamar Jackson (2018),  Paxton Lynch (2016), Johnny Manziel (2014), Teddy Bridgewater (2014), EJ Manuel (2013), Brandon Weeden (2012), Tim Tebow (2010), Joe Flacco (2009), Brady Quinn (2007), Jason Campbell (2005), and JP Losman (2004).   Only Flacco and Jackson have become successful NFL starters.   Bridgewater had a decent career.

In the 2024 draft, the four QBs talked about as likely to go at the top of first round are Williams, Daniels, Maye and McCarthy. 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:32 AM, Dillenger4 said:

I agree to a point. Highlighted above: If we lost Josh last season on opening day our season would have been even messier than it was. Not many teams in teh NFL can overcome that. Anyway, we will see. Exciting games coming this season that's for sure!

Sure, but McDermott would have had this team competing hard each week even with Kyle Allen. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a fringe playoff team without Allen. McDermott is basically Mike Tomlin, they will both not accept a losing season. Bills won 6 games in 2018, starting 4 different QBs (Peterman, Allen, Anderson and Bakley) and one of the worst rosters in football.

With a better roster now, even without Allen, I could see McDermott winning 9 ugly ugly games 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sure, but McDermott would have had this team competing hard each week even with Kyle Allen. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a fringe playoff team without Allen. McDermott is basically Mike Tomlin, they will both not accept a losing season. Bills won 6 games in 2018, starting 4 different QBs (Peterman, Allen, Anderson and Bakley) and one of the worst rosters in football.

With a better roster now, even without Allen, I could see McDermott winning 9 ugly ugly games 

So Josh Allen is worth 2 wins compared to Kyle Allen?

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

So Josh Allen is worth 2 wins compared to Kyle Allen?

Of course not, I think McDermott is a good coach tho and can win in a variety of ways. I also think Andy Reid would win 9

games with someone like Blaine Gabbert. Both are good coaches who happen to have elite talents at QB

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I get your point - but not a chance. Without Allen we would be a 3 win team, maybe. Just like most NFL teams.

47 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I get your point - but not a chance. Without Allen we would be a 3 win team, maybe. Just like most NFL teams.

I'm not so sure. We have had top defenses for years. It wouldn't be pretty, but McDermott has won plenty of games with less than superb QB play 

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Of course not, I think McDermott is a good coach tho and can win in a variety of ways. I also think Andy Reid would win 9

games with someone like Blaine Gabbert. Both are good coaches who happen to have elite talents at QB

Good teams are good not just because they have a good/great QB.  They're good because they not only have talented rosters, but they also have good/great coaches who get the most out of the talent they have available.  

4 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Are you really a Bills fan?  You certainly have a low opinion of them.   Only a single team -- the Panthers -- had fewer than 4 wins in 2023 and only 3 teams had 4 wins.

In 2023, these teams that lost their starting QBs averaged 8.2 wins.  Half of these teams won more games than they lost and one had double digit wins and made the playoffs.

• The Browns lost Watson but still won 11 games.
  • The Bengals lost Burrow but still won 9 games.
  • The Colts lost Richardson but still won 9 games.
  • The Jests lost Rodgers but still won 7 games.
  • The Vikings lost Cousins but still won 7 games.
  • The Giants lost Jones but still won 6 games. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2