Center Train is off and running

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Were you not aware of this when you made your post? McGovern starting at Center and David Edwards taking McGovern's spot was everywhere as soon as we re-signed him.

Yes I was fully aware with what they said.  

So now we’re moving 2 positions around on the line.  

We don’t have a backup Center - no one on this roster we’ve seen snap a football to Josh in a game.  

And considering this and what will be available (WR 6?) at 28 I think the play is get our own Creed Humphrey.  

Leave McGovern where we know he was good.  

Our own Creed Humphrey by the way playing side by side with Torrence the next decade sounded awesome to me.  

• Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes I was fully aware with what they said.  

So now we’re moving 2 positions around on the line.  

I mean we're "moving" one player over and replacing him with a guy who played there rotationally last season. 

We don’t have a backup Center - no one on this roster we’ve seen snap a football to Josh in a game.  

You don't spend a 1st or even a 2nd on a Backup Center. A starting Center takes 100% of snaps unless there's an injury. You don't spend a 1st on depth that isn't rotational and doesn't have a clear path to a Starting job. Especially when there's a million other holes elsewhere, including Starters and positions where there's rotation. 

And doing so wouldn't remedy the situation of Josh having not taken a snap from anyone on the roster. That's just a situation that was going to happen one day or another with Morse getting up there in age.

Leave McGovern where we know he was good

McGovern was solid. But a big part of Morse being moved was that McGovern and Morse weren't a great combo together.

For as good as McGovern was at holding the line and not allowing pressure to get through, he's not good at pushing Defenders back in the Rush game. Neither was Morse.

That kind of skill is better for Center. As outside of short yardage situations, you're not running it straight up the middle (and we use a pusher in those situations anyways). You want your LG to get push. They see McGovern as tailor made for Center.

Our own Creed Humphrey by the way playing side by side with Torrence the next decade sounded awesome to me.  

That's how you feel. But their actions and words have said this is what they feel is best. And that trumps your feelings. We made the move of Morse and Bates because we had a plan and pieces in place for Center. Makes no sense, with the amount of holes we have, to voluntarily choose to blow that up and then spend our 1st Rounder to fix it.

If it isn't WR, which it should be - it needs to be DE, as Miller could be toast and Epenesa, while great in rotation, probably isn't an every down Starter and we have nothing beyond Groot, Von, and Epenesa in the rotation. Or DT, as we only have Oliver and Daquan and literally nothing else for the rotation. Even DB is more of a need than Center, as we have only Taylor Rapp (a marginal starter) and dubious depth in Lewis and Hamlin.

Depth Center and OG is something we'll address with FA's on a bargain or mid Round Draft picks for development and insurance. But you don't spend a 1st or a 2nd on those roles. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1