Bills’ player grades for 2023 from the Athletic and PFF.

GASabresIUFan

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

If Bernard and Edmunds were making the same exact amount of money, I’d rather have Bernard on this team, all day everyday, 10/10. Buscaglia and Joe Marino’s guy has never had a nose for the ball.

End of the day - you beat good QBs with guys like bernard making a play here and there.  Edmunds closing throwing lanes is valuable, but its less valuable when you're playing a good QB who can either still find the window, or buy enough time to create one.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bernard is just learning the things that Edmunds did well, but as someone else pointed out earlier, Bernard has the added ability to make the big play.  I'll take a few mistakes here and there for a guy who can make a drive-stopping play.  

Last season Bernard had 143 tackles (84 solo), 6.5 sacks, 3 Fumble recoveries, 3 Ints, and 10 tackles for loss.  That's an amazing season for anyone, much less a 2nd-year pro and 1st year starter.   

Edmunds has never had a stat line close to this good.  Edmunds only has 6.5 sacks for his career.  his best solo tackle season was his rookie year with 80, and he only has 1 FR for his career. 

When this kid learns more about O schemes and how to shed blocks faster, he'll be a great LB.  He also needs to possibly get a little bigger.  Pro-football-reference lists Bernard as 6'1 224.  Edmunds is 6'5 250.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah you didn’t see it, literally. There were a lot of these reps. But there were also a lot of reps where he dominated in pass pro. He was just very inconsistent which is fine as a rookie. I focus more on the dominant reps, hoping he can clean up the other stuff. I think he definitely deserved to be starting, this is coming from someone that grades Bates higher overall. Torrence clearly has All pro potential.

Can't line up Torrence across from any Christians...

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

End of the day - you beat good QBs with guys like bernard making a play here and there.  Edmunds closing throwing lanes is valuable, but its less valuable when you're playing a good QB who can either still find the window, or buy enough time to create one.  

This.

I love this balanced assessment.  I was not a big fan of Edmunds, but I found myself defending him in casual conversations because, despite his lack of big plays here, he did cause headaches for QBs because of his length and speed.  100% I will take Bernard over him, especially since I expect Bernard to improve and I agree with your statement that the best QBs were less impacted by Edmunds.

• Agree 1