MAC expansion: UMASS joining

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I guess it is a decent enough fit for all sides.  

So I guess there is an immediate need for a 14th football & hoops member.  I wonder who would be a good fit.  Army?

Salvation Army!

🎵Put a nickel in the drum! 🎶

🎶Save another MAC bum! 🎵

This helps UMass far more than it helps the MAC or UB. They were smart because if you don’t pay FBS football in a conference with College Playoff access the 200 plus basketball schools that don’t you will be left behind. The Atlantic 10 Conference was once a two bid conference now it’s a one bid conference. At some point the 200 basketball schools outside of the 100 plus football schools aren’t going to get the spots in the NCAA basketball tournament because of the football money and the NIL widening the gap between the 100 plus football schools and the 200 plus basketball schools that don’t get to share any college football playoff television money. UMass like UB has a slim but atleast it’s a slim chance of the College Football Playoff access now. As an independent UMass didn’t have that. UMass had two choices drop football and make a push for the Big East Conference which I don’t think was available or join the MAC. As for UConn I think they get into a better conference than the MAC because they won national championships in college basketball. I think UConn drops football and stay in the Big East Conference before they join the MAC. There is a huge difference between the Big East Conference and the Atlantic 10 Conference and also between UMass and UConn as basketball programs in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

As for UConn I think they get into a better conference than the MAC because they won national championships in college basketball. I think UConn drops football and stay in the Big East Conference before they join the MAC. There is a huge difference between the Big East Conference and the Atlantic 10 Conference and also between UMass and UConn as basketball programs in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

There is WAY too much TV money in football to drop football, especially for a strong basketball school like UConn in a solid media market. ACC would take them in a heartbeat when they start to implode when FSU and Clemson force their ways out.