Little League Gifts

We had a decent year, but we got knocked out of the playoff hunt by a parent umpire who decided that our pitchers couldn't throw strikes and every pitch they threw was right down the middle.

Anyway, we've got a team party coming up in two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on what the coaches could get the guys. There's 14 13-14 yr olds, so it has to be something suitable for that age group, and not too expensive. We gave alot of time, but we want to show our appreciation for the time and effort they gave.

Thanks!

Get the kids...and then have the parents who camplain about umpires read...a book called 'Raising a Team Player' by Harry Sheehy. The best $30 you'll ever spend. Basketball themed but an absolutely must read for all young athletes and their parents.

You won't complain about umpires again.

I suspect it's pretty easy to get into Neverland these days. :blink:

Any Little League team I've ever been a part of has always found that a trip to DQ, or some other ice cream joint, with no limit on the one thing they could order, usually did the trick.

Alternately, if there is a party involved, you could hire someone to bring an ice cream maker and have a blast.

Get the kids...and then have the  parents who camplain about umpires read...a book called 'Raising a Team Player' by Harry Sheehy.  The best $30 you'll ever spend.  Basketball themed but an absolutely must read for all young athletes and their parents.

You won't complain about umpires again.

357896[/snapback]

You don't even have to read a book. The parents who complain about other parent umpires need to get their ass back there and do it themselves. I never saw a little league who wouldn't take volunteers.

God, I hate people who blame VOLUNTEER Parent, or very underpaid parent umpires who do ump, when the a-holes who usually complain never have the balls to actually get back there and do it themselves.

Oh by the way, take em to a minor league game as a group, they'll love it.

I suspect it's pretty easy to get into Neverland these days. :blink:

Any Little League team I've ever been a part of has always found that a trip to DQ, or some other ice cream joint, with no limit on the one thing they could order, usually did the trick.

Alternately, if there is a party involved, you could hire someone to bring an ice cream maker and have a blast.

357903[/snapback]

So true LA!

Then again, you don't want to offend the kid that can't step within 5 meters of a Peanut Buster Parfait! <_<:huh:

The last two years I have taken the kids to a AAA baseball game. They have a program called baseball buddies. The kids can wear their uniforms (shirts at least) and get to go down on the field. They introduce the kids on the team before the game, they go out to each infield position and stand with the players during the anthem and they get a hat. The manager came around and talked to each kid while they were waiting. The kids get in for free and you can take as many people as you want at the group ticket rate. You might see if a team in your area has such a thing.

As to parents who complain: Every year there is one parent who complains about something. Last year I had a guy who didn't like the way i ran practice, the game, the batting order, the position where his kid was playing, etc. I asked him to help out once and he refused. Finally I had had enough. I pulled him aside and told him, "You are making it fairly obvious that you don't like the way I do things and quite frankly I don't care. The difference between you and me is I'm volunteering 3 nights a week for the 12 kids (7 & 8 year olds) on the team and you're setting on your fat a$$ doing absolutely nothing useful except complaining about your kid having to play right field for one inning. Either take your kid and go home or STFU." His kid was at the next game and I never heard another word from him. I think he blew me in to the head of the baseball league, but no one ever said anything to me.

You don't even have to read a book.  The parents who complain about other parent umpires need to get their ass back there and do it themselves.  I never saw a little league who wouldn't take volunteers.

God, I hate people who blame VOLUNTEER Parent, or very underpaid parent umpires who do ump, when the a-holes who usually complain never have the balls to actually get back there and do it themselves.

357909[/snapback]

Here umpires have to be certified for ALL ages and they get 30 bucks a game for anything little league and under. 35-40 per game for babe ruth and above. That being said if I want to B word about an umpire who doesn't know what he's doing then I have every right to. (I'm speaking for MY area here) The umpires here do it for the money more than anything. Quick buck on the weekends and weeknights. I'm going to do it next year when I get back from Iraq because I'm tired of seeing the crap on the field who don't care. I love baseball and want to be a positive influence to the kids that play.

Oh, and we take our kids to CiCi's pizza.... All you can eat for 3 bucks. Can't beat it! :doh: They also get a trophy with the team name and individuals name and number.