Any members here do volunteer work at all?

Another Fan

As I get older I find I have more respect for people that do.  My mom used to run Cub Scouts when I was a kid and was a little league mom a short time when I played.  

Going through some old family photo albums there was a bunch of pictures of me in Little League.  There was one coach there who was a volunteer fireman and pulled some strings to get our neighborhood team into a neighboring league from another town because at that point the league was dissolving.   I remember traveling to the other town wasn't the most fun but as an adult yeah I have a ton of respect for that guy.  I mean he did what he could to try to make things happen in retrospect.

Maybe when I become financially independent (if ever) I'll get more involved.  Lol 

Managed a travel baseball team for three years, kids ages 10/11/12.

Served as an election officer for five years.

Taught personal budget and finance course for inner city folks trying to end generational poverty.

Now I serve as Treasurer of a local volunteer fire company.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, we do, for different things in the community where we actually go hands on, like working at a homeless shelter. We also donate about $10k (total) every December to a bunch of deserving orgs. But the best thing (to me) that we do is occasionally pick up the tabs at a restaurant for random, unsuspecting people, like a young couple, or a single parent with their kids, or a really old couple. It feels really good when you see their faces.

We are blessed and fortunate to be able to do all of the above. As they say, you can’t take it with you, and also, when you die, nobody is going to remember how much wealth you had, but plenty of people will remember how you helped them out.

• Like (+1) 2

Board of Directors of Credit Union.

Several  church committees.

Mrs. Lew volunteers at a local organization that dispenses clothes and food to needy folks in our neck of the woods.

Mrs. Lew and I help at local food bank where we prepare 200 meals  for needy people.  This

is run by a consortium of churches and we do 2 Wednesdays per month.  Food comes 

from USDA and donations by local restaurants, esp Chik Fil A. and Sam's Club.

We are 3.5 years into retirement and had decided before retirement to volunteer.

• Like (+1) 2

Until a medical condition made me ineligible, I'd been a blood donor since I was seventeen. I donated a little over 21 gallons (~172 pints) in four decades. After we got married, my wife started donating and when our son became eligible, he started too.

As far as getting out to do volunteer work, we've done some one-off activities that were sponsored by the college where I taught and a few other organizations. We also donate money to numerous charitable causes. And all of our pets have been shelter rescues, not breeder purchases.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.