Where do you stand on the death penalty?

On 1/27/2024 at 4:14 PM, LeviF said:

It can be a deterrent, but that’s not the point. 

The average IQ of the prison population is around 90. Not far below that is the threshold at which you can actually understand second-order consequences. I would guess that punishment is a deterrent for you because you understand that one of the natural consequences of habitual crime-committing is punishment. A very large segment of our population can’t make that connection in their mind:

You seem to have a very narrow view of crime.  I don't mean that as a put-down either.  

I just think your correlation between IQ and crime (specifically violent crime) misses a lot of the overall picture.  

44 minutes ago, Capco said:

You seem to have a very narrow view of crime.  I don't mean that as a put-down either.  

I just think your correlation between IQ and crime (specifically violent crime) misses a lot of the overall picture.  

Though that correlation exists, that’s not really the point of my post. Deterrence can be a secondary goal but there needs to be a recognition that for a very large segment of the population deterrence cannot work. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:26 PM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Should you be left to your own devices?

'It's a tight network.  by design.  ask ten high...year of graduation is not a barrier.

It's tight, but claiming you went together is stretching it, no?  It's like me claiming I partied with Kirk Douglas. 

11 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

It's tight, but claiming you went together is stretching it, no?  It's like me claiming I partied with Kirk Douglas. 

Not so much stretching it as outright lying about it. 

5 hours ago, LeviF said:

Though that correlation exists, that’s not really the point of my post. Deterrence can be a secondary goal but there needs to be a recognition that for a very large segment of the population deterrence cannot work. 

Quantitatively, how large of a segment are you referring to?  

6 hours ago, Capco said:

Quantitatively, how large of a segment are you referring to?  

If we use 90 as the cutoff we're probably talking about 25% of the general population as a good starting estimate. As already stated, since the IQ of the average criminal tends to be lower it's going to be an even larger portion of those more inclined to commit crime to start with.