Natalie Holloway confirmed dead

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent a good amount of time in the Caribbean for both work and vacation, and I will say without a doubt, Aruba is one of the safest/friendliest islands you can visit...for me. Their literacy rate is extremely high, unemployment is extremely low. People will stop and ask you if you need a ride if you're walking into town. I've accepted before (not alone) and and thrown them a few bucks as a thank you. But then again I outweigh most Aruban men by 60-70lbs.

However I will say, like most island destinations down there, once you get into the night clubs off the resorts the local men will hit on and harass American women to the extreme and they don't take "no thank you" for an answer. I spent the better part of a night at Carlos & Charlie's (the same bar Natalee Hollaway was last seen) running interference for female friends of mine.

One more thing to add. You would be amazed at the number of high school kids that parents let roam all over Aruba. Some can handle it, but the majority of these kids can't find their way around their own cities, let alone aforeign country...but you could probably say the same for adults.

What is with this trip to Aruba for graduation stuff?

It's friggin HS graduation, not getting a PhD.

For my HS graduation, my parents thrw a party in the driveway and gave me a watch and a calculator for presents.

But, in an abstract way, look at how easy it has become for Americans, especially young Americans to become victimized.

Perhaps because parents try too hard to "protect" their kids from the seedy side of life, keep them so busy with extracuricular activities, think for them, coddle them, that these kids don't get enough opportunity to learn "street smarts".

;)

Perhaps because parents try too hard to "protect" their kids from the seedy side of life, keep them so busy with extracuricular activities, think for them, coddle them, that these kids don't get enough opportunity to learn "street smarts".

;)

356850[/snapback]

Perhaps it's because these animals are coddled and not really punished by society any longer. They know that they will probably be out of jail in 3-5 years or less no matter how bad the crime. If we started truely punishing the crime there would be less of these idiots on the street and for those considering it a few more thoughts before they carried through.

;)

356850[/snapback]

I work at a University. I am constantly amazed by how "young" 21 year olds seem...

I work at a University.  I am constantly amazed by how "young" 21 year olds seem...

356855[/snapback]

It's this country, too. I've met some young people in Asia and Eastern Europe that have 5 times the sense of an American the same age. They know more about what's going on in this country than the average American adult does.

The lack of empathy in this thread for the victim is disturbing.

356856[/snapback]

I think we all hope for the best for this girl, but the circumstances surrounding her disappearence are mind boggling. 125 high school graduates with seven chaperones, let loose in a country where they can drink as much as they want (I'll leave my rant against our asinine drinking laws for another time). Girl leaves a club with three guys she doesn't know, and none of her friends notice? That bar isn't that big. Unfortunately, I think once this plays out the details will be even more unbelievable.

Perhaps it's because these animals are coddled and not really punished by society any longer. They know that they will probably be out of jail in 3-5 years or less no matter how bad the crime. If we started truely punishing the crime there would be less of these idiots on the street and for those considering it a few more thoughts before they carried through.

Good point. But I'm not thinking about the criminal element. I'm referring to all those "good" kids who are raised predominately middle class, christian, southern homes. These kids are so protected from "unsavory elements", they never actually learn how to make their own decisions or develop that instinct for knowing when they're in an unsafe environment or how to remove themselves from it. I'm surrounded by them where I live. So many of my son's friends (between 18 and 22) have the maturity of 14 year olds. They seem to be useless without their parents around to make their decisions for them.

Good article in this biweekly edition of ESPN the Mag about Tebucky Jones. He thought his kids were becoming to soft so he dropped them off in the ghetto for a few hours every week (boys & girls club) to toughen them up.

Good article in this biweekly edition of ESPN the Mag about Tebucky Jones. He thought his kids were becoming to soft so he dropped them off in the ghetto for a few hours every week (boys & girls club) to toughen them up.

356880[/snapback]

I actually send my daughter to daycamp in the summer to a county north of here where there is a little more to do and a little more diversity just for this reason. They deal a little more with the gang issues, and other normal teen issues, along with it being a much rougher group of teens to deal with.

She actually got in a fight with a couple of girls got her butt kicked but she earned a lot of respect from most of the kids becuase she didn't back down and actually hit back. The counselers while they had to write her up were very happy to see it and said in confidence it was great for her.

356880[/snapback]

When I was in HS (87-91') I'd say 3/4 of my friends ('burbians) couldn't find their way around the city of Buffalo. I'd bet the percentages are higher now. Did a trip my senior year down to NY City and had to correct a gaggle of tards for taking out their wallets and opening their purses to give street beggars money.

I actually send my daughter to daycamp in the summer to a county north of here where there is a little more to do and a little more diversity just for this reason.  They deal a little more with the gang issues, and other normal teen issues, along with it being a much rougher group of teens to deal with. 

She actually got in a fight with a couple of girls got her butt kicked but she earned a lot of respect from most of the kids becuase she didn't back down and actually hit back.  The counselers while they had to write her up were very happy to see it and said in confidence it was great for her.

356887[/snapback]

Great avatar man! ;)