NFL Referees (Officials) for Wild Card: PIT-BUF: Carl Cheffers (UPDATE: Brad Allen named alternate!)

chongli

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Curious to why?

I don't,  it'd be in a winter wonderland environment, in KC, where anything is possible.

Imo they been mediocre all year, 1 week won't change that. 

If Mia wins, they have the best shot to knock off Bal then any other team 

It was a joke because this ref is one of the only refs in the NFL who isn't afraid to make calls against Mahomes and the Chiefs... It was a comment that was related to the thread title/topic/OP. I guess I did fire that one a little high, so it may have gone over some heads.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

The fact that he is an alternate implies he was downgraded.  He's not going to see the field for the postseason unless something crazy happens.

Not necessarily. This is what Ben Austuro of Football Zebras says:

https://www.footballzebras.com/2024/01/how-does-the-nfl-assign-mixed-crews-for-the-playoffs/

"Alternate officials and low graded officials

Alternate officials are generally considered to be in a playoff-qualified tier, but this has been a matter of debate in the officiating community. Depending on how senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson applies his tier system, alternates could be an overflow of officials that might have earned an on-field assignment plus a lower tier of alternate-only eligibles. Also, due to the number of playoff assignments, some officials will work two games, with one or both being an alternate assignment. The only exception is the Super Bowl crew will have that second on-field assignment in the Divisional round, but no more.

Lowest tier officials do not get a playoff assignment, and three years in this tier can cause an official to be dismissed."

So Brad Allen may be assigned to the active crew in a future playoff game this season.

The original post I replied to was deleted:

ref post.jpg

but here is a better explanation:

From the article:

Examples where alternate officials helped or were needed in actual playoff games:

terzian.jpg

Field Judge Armen Terzian knocked out after being hit by a bottle thrown from the stands.

triplette_alt.png

Alternate referee Jeff Triplette helps separate players in a playoff game. Alternates can’t call penalties, but they can assist the crew in keeping the peace.

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.