Discount Airlines and when they release flights

Does anyone know what the schedules are for when the discount carriers release blocks of flights? Calling them up, gets you nowhere. They just tell you to keep checking back. The problem is I am trying to get a roundtrip flight out of Buffalo to Florida for the week of President's day, but because all the kids have off from school that week, the discount fares get scooped up in a hurry.

Not 100% sure what you're asking...but Southwest allows advance bookings 4 months or so in advance. I think right now they are only taking reservations through October 28th. Airtran is a bit better,,,,maybe 6 months or so. Jetblue i have no clue.

You just need to plug in travel dates on their websites and if they are not accepting reservations for that date..you will know quickly.

Does anyone know what the schedules are for when the discount carriers release blocks of flights?  Calling them up, gets you nowhere.  They just tell you to keep checking back.  The problem is I am trying to get a roundtrip flight out of Buffalo to Florida for the week of President's day, but because all the kids have off from school that week, the discount fares get scooped up in a hurry.

355448[/snapback]

For southwest you can book a flight through Oct. So 4-5 months for them.

Not 100% sure what you're asking...but Southwest allows advance bookings 4 months or so in advance. I think right now they are only taking reservations through October 28th.  Airtran is a bit better,,,,maybe 6 months or so.  Jetblue i have no clue.

You just need to plug in travel dates on their websites and if they are not accepting reservations for that date..you will know quickly.

355497[/snapback]

I was referring to when the carriers release a set of flight to the public for a range of dates. For instance, on Jet Blue you can currently book a flight through 1/10/2006. I am trying to find out, on what date the next set of flights will be available fopr public sale.

Because of the popularity, I was hoping that maybe someone had some "insider info" :doh: as to the exact dates when more flights are made available for public sale.

Check other cities. Find someplace that doesn't give the kids off that week.

I live in Rochester. For spring break, here the kids are off the 3rd week in April regardless of when Easter is. I was looking to go to Florida right after Easter (and not for a family vac) I could go round trip on Airtan for around $200. I couldn't believe how cheap it was. So I compared Buffalo to Florida same week, but now the kids there were off there, $450 round trip. Then just for the hell of it I looked at the third week in April; $400 from Rochester, $200 from Buffalo.

But IMHO you're shopping way too early.

355534[/snapback]

Living in Buffalo where the number of incoming & outgoing flights are limited, combined with a week of travel where everyone with kids will be looking to get out of Buffalo, when would you suggest looking for the best possible airfare?

Living in Buffalo where the number of incoming & outgoing flights are limited, combined with a week of travel where everyone with kids will be looking to get out of Buffalo, when would you suggest looking for the best possible airfare?

355613[/snapback]

I fly round trip from Raleigh or Greensboro to Buffalo at least every couple of months. Primarily on holiday weekends and such. I have found the best air prices are found 3-6 weeks before the flight departs. There seems to be jumps in price at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 1 month before the flight departs. Don't take this information as gospel though. I don't work for any air carriers and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Does anyone know what the schedules are for when the discount carriers release blocks of flights?  Calling them up, gets you nowhere.  They just tell you to keep checking back.  The problem is I am trying to get a roundtrip flight out of Buffalo to Florida for the week of President's day, but because all the kids have off from school that week, the discount fares get scooped up in a hurry.

355448[/snapback]

I am not exactly sure when each discount airline releases their schedule, however I would check daily. You will be surprised how fast the low fares disappear and then the seats. Last year the cheapest seats were over $400 in December if you wanted to fly Friday or Saturday.

You are taking a huge chance if you wait until several weeks in advance. I will be willing to bet every seat is sold out for Friday night and Saturday morning. I live in the Albany area and this past February break, USAir was offering 5 tickets to take a bump on Friday night and 4 tickets to take a bump Saturday. They were desperate.

355448[/snapback]

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I just read in Men's Health, that the best time to check this is 1AM on Wednesdays. The airlines change their rates just after midnight on Wednesdays.