4th grade cheerleading

I'm going to vent a little here.

My daughter is going to be a cheerleader for our school this year. So far I've done fundraising, bought the uniform, paid the registration fee, done everything that needed to be done.

We had to sell a certain amount of Pizza's and Chocolate in order to not have to pay an additional $100.00 fee. I sold $76.00 worth and owed $24.00. I hadn't heard anything about this fee so just figured it was something they would hit me up for later. Keep in mind, I coach baseball three nights a week for my son, my wife is in school full time, I work full time and basically run the house including most of the chores. The last thing on my mind in the spring was this $24.00 fee.

So, I recieved a letter yesterday saying that I owed the $24.00, which I was planning on paying. Plus a $50.00 LATE FEE. If this wasn't paid my daughter would be DROPPED FROM THE PROGRAM. Please keep in mind I've already paid over $200.00 for a recreation she has yet to participate in. Needless to say I was fuming. I called the cheerleading coach who said "well, you should have paid it on time and you will have to write a letter which will be presented to the board to see if the fee will be waived" and I called the president of the club who I'm still waiting to hear back from.

I did a little reseach and it seems that they are violating most laws that have been passed in terms of a "reasonable" late fee. Which is to not exceed 5% of the monies owed. If I need to throw this in their face I guess I will.

Bottom line, it pisses me off.

They are violating the late fee charge........... My personal opinion save yourself the stress than what you already have and don't put your daughter on the cheerleading squad...... that will be more responsibility on yourself being that your wife is in school full time

Oh the hell of youth cheerleading...my oldest did it for three years and one competition.........I am so thankful for competitive swimming, soccer and lacrosse.

I would send them the $24.00 and offer to pay whatever the law allows for, ( you indicated 5%) and put the ball in their court.

Show up on the first day of practice and continue being a great dad.

She's only in fourth grade but put her in some real sport clinics or something--she'll thank you down the road when she's better than most girls her age in high school.

Cheerleading (shudder), is just dancing with short skirts

Were you notified of any late fees in writing? If there is that great a penalty, it should be very clear!

The coach is a tactless %$&^(*& - there were better ways to pass the buck. Any organization worth belonging to (IMO) will waive the fee once, if you talk it over with the president calmly. I had two daughters in cheerleading and it gets ridiculously expensive. They loved it and worked hard at it though. They also did not start until junior high. My youngest continued right into college.

It basically comes down to how much she likes it, and benefits from it. Is it worth it to argue the $50 (you already have a lot more than that invested) if it is going to put her on the squad's sh-- list? Is it worth it to have her dropped from the squad because you are "right"? Are there other cheerleading teams that might interest her? Keep in mind I am not suggesting you try to reason with a 4th grader, been there! :P

Basically this is one of those "life is not fair" things and you have to decide the best course for your daughter. Good luck, this is the "sucky" side of parenting. :)

I'm going to vent a little here.

My daughter is going to be a cheerleader for our school this year. So far I've done fundraising, bought the uniform, paid the registration fee, done everything that needed to be done.

We had to sell a certain amount of Pizza's and Chocolate in order to not have to pay an additional $100.00 fee. I sold $76.00 worth and owed $24.00. I hadn't heard anything about this fee so just figured it was something they would hit me up for later. Keep in mind, I coach baseball three nights a week for my son, my wife is in school full time, I work full time and basically run the house including most of the chores. The last thing on my mind in the spring was this $24.00 fee.

So, I recieved a letter yesterday saying that I owed the $24.00, which I was planning on paying. Plus a $50.00 LATE FEE. If this wasn't paid my daughter would be DROPPED FROM THE PROGRAM. Please keep in mind I've already paid over $200.00 for a recreation she has yet to participate in. Needless to say I was fuming. I called the cheerleading coach who said "well, you should have paid it on time and you will have to write a letter which will be presented to the board to see if the fee will be waived" and I called the president of the club who I'm still waiting to hear back from.

I did a little reseach and it seems that they are violating most laws that have been passed in terms of a "reasonable" late fee. Which is to not exceed 5% of the monies owed. If I need to throw this in their face I guess I will.

Bottom line, it pisses me off.

354380[/snapback]

That is so incorrect I do not even know where to start. So I won't.

354418[/snapback]

I will.

To me it's not. I'd rather go cover NASCAR than a cheerleading "event" AKA a dance off haha

Sure they have to be some what atheletic and intelligent to do those moves and not too mention some good wind pipes to bellow out those annoying cheers.

Maybe in the bigger schools cheerleading is taken a lil more serious but come on, look at any NFL, NBA team--those "chearleaders" just go around, showing off their body (which is perfectly fine) and just do whatever is they do, shout, chant....

Please, corporate America already tried to show everybody how intense cheerleading is with movies like "Bring it On" and such; but the fact is simple, just because it's on ESPN doesn't automatically make it a sport.

That's what I'm mulling over Rockpile....I don't want her on the s$$tlist, I want her to enjoy it and she will not understand if she can't do it. She's really looking forward to it.

354425[/snapback]

I don't have kids but I do have an 11-year old sister who pretty much does everything. I've hopefully strayed her away from cheerleading. She did it for one summer I believe two summers ago (fourth grade, what a coincidence ha) and I think she hated it; well not [i[hated[/i] it but was upset because she missed a soccer game.

I think maybe she wants to do it but she's in love with soccer—she does 3-5 soccer camps a year—I don't know how much my mom and dad's wallet loves it though !

hey, just as long as she's happy--though, it looks like they are being pretty damn shady

I will.

To me it's not.  I'd rather go cover NASCAR than a cheerleading "event" AKA a dance off haha

Sure they have to be some what atheletic and intelligent to do those moves and not too mention some good wind pipes to bellow out those annoying cheers.

Maybe in the bigger schools cheerleading is taken a lil more serious but come on, look at any NFL, NBA team--those "chearleaders" just go around, showing off their body (which is perfectly fine) and just do whatever is they do, shout, chant....

Please, corporate America already tried to show everybody how intense cheerleading is with movies like "Bring it On" and such; but the fact is simple, just because it's on ESPN doesn't automatically make it a sport.

354423[/snapback]

I am trying to figure out where anybody called Cheerleading a sport.....

Gant, You're in Atlanta aren't you? What school is this for? I hear stories every now and then about these organized activities taking advantage of the parents because you don't want to tell your kids they can't participate. Some of the things down here, like these traveling baseball teams, seem to demand a bit too much from the parents.

I will.

To me it's not.  I'd rather go cover NASCAR than a cheerleading "event" AKA a dance off haha

354423[/snapback]

Corporate Amerca is all about T&A. Professional cheerleaders are glorified bootie shakers. I do not argue that.

But my two girls had great experiences as cheerleaders. They learned team work, dance, tumbling, gymnastics, and part of the deal was they had to have decent grades, stay out of trouble, and show up for school if they wanted to participate. Monday through Friday: school, snack, cheer practice until 9PM, come home and have supper, do homework, sleep. Then practice for 4 hours on Saturday. This was THEIR choice so they must have enjoyed it.

In addition to cheerleading, one daughter was in marching band, basketball, and color guard. The other was in fast pitch softball. BOTH were in the National Honor Society and received college scholarships. One graduated college with honors and is working on her master's degree in elementary ed.

I will admit that they did not start cheering in 4th grade, they were dancing then, which is also a parent money trap! :P;)

just because it's on ESPN doesn't automatically make it a sport.

True, don't they cover NASCAR? :)