Verba Officially Free

Browns | Verba Opts Out - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:20:51 -0700

Updating an ongoing story, the Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi reports Cleveland Browns OT Ross Verba has bought himself his freedom from the Browns. He agreed to return a $465,000 roster bonus paid by the club in March in to gain his release. The paperwork was processed Wednesday, June 8. After the formality of a 24-hour period on waivers, Verba will seek to find a new team as a free agent. As a vested NFL veteran, Verba can reject a waiver claim and opt for free agency. "If we're successful in attracting a multiyear deal, I assume he's going to want to make visits and talk to coaches," agent Tom Condon said. "We're certainly cognizant of teams that look to have a need at the position and we hit them off the bat. We also go through the remainder of the other 31 teams."

I think Ross is going to find that no one is going to be willing to pay the money he's asking. Houston's probably going to try to take a run at him as they did with Shelton. But if he's willing to take $4 mil a year for the next 4 or 5 years, TD would be a retard not to sign him. There is no way I feel comfortable with Mike Gandy at LT.

And yes...... i've heard of him :w00t:

While Ross Verba isn't worth Walter Jones or Orlando Pace money he's a pretty damn good lt. If you can get the guy for 4-4.5 million a year it's well worth the investment. He'd soldify the oline on the left side and it would be one less question mark we'd have to worry about. I believe he only gave up 1.5 sacks last year, and for the qb carousel that was the cleveland browns that's pretty damn good. Not only is it obvious that Verba is better than Gandy, but Verba is one of the better tackles in the league outside of Jones/Roaf/Pace/Ogden/Tra thomas. If he can be afforded it's worth it.

Browns | Verba Opts Out - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:20:51 -0700

Updating an ongoing story, the Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi reports Cleveland Browns OT Ross Verba has bought himself his freedom from the Browns. He agreed to return a $465,000 roster bonus paid by the club in March in to gain his release. The paperwork was processed Wednesday, June 8. After the formality of a 24-hour period on waivers, Verba will seek to find a new team as a free agent. As a vested NFL veteran, Verba can reject a waiver claim and opt for free agency. "If we're successful in attracting a multiyear deal, I assume he's going to want to make visits and talk to coaches," agent Tom Condon said. "We're certainly cognizant of teams that look to have a need at the position and we hit them off the bat. We also go through the remainder of the other 31 teams."

I think Ross is going to find that no one is going to be willing to pay the money he's asking. Houston's probably going to try to take a run at him as they did with Shelton. But if he's willing to take $4 mil a year for the next 4 or 5 years, TD would be a retard not to sign him. There is no way I feel comfortable with Mike Gandy at LT.

And yes...... i've heard of him  :)

354285[/snapback]

in my opinion, he has too many question marks (age, character, injury history) to warrent a big money 4 or 5 year deal........max would be 3 years, although i'd prefer a 1 year deal, which he may choose to do if he finds the market as lukewarm as shelton did......given the timing of his release, that is entirely possible, and a 1 year deal will allow him to become a FA again when the market is more ripe.......

all that aside, he would make a great addition to the club and would solidfy the LT spot and serve as a stop gap until the bills can find help elsewhere........players of his quality are few and far between at that position........

While Ross Verba isn't worth Walter Jones or Orlando Pace money he's a pretty damn good lt.  If you can get the guy for 4-4.5 million a year it's well worth the investment.    He'd soldify the oline  on the left side and it would be one less question mark we'd have to worry about.   I believe he only gave up 1.5 sacks last year, and for the  qb carousel that was the cleveland browns that's pretty damn good.    Not only is it obvious that Verba is better than Gandy,  but Verba is one of the better tackles in the league outside of Jones/Roaf/Pace/Ogden/Tra thomas.  If he can be afforded it's worth it.

354290[/snapback]

Actually Verba gave up 4.5 sacks last season and for what it's worth I believe he graded out worse (67) than both Jonas Jennings (76) and LJ Shelton (69) by espn insider two seasons ago as a point of comparison. Also, if this guy was truly a top flight LT he would never have been shifted to G by Green Bay in favor of Chad Clifton, whom the Pack re-signed to a big contract last offseason. While I'm not saying Verba wouldn't be an upgrade to Mike Gandy, I certainly wouldn't give him a big contract that it's been reported he's seeking. I agree with what d_wag had to say.

I may be mistaken, but dude is two "alleged" rapes have investigated at his house. Now, Im one who can live with a guy doing a little weed or some other minor offences, but two rape investigations sound pretty hard core to me.

If it was only one, I can see how these players can get set up. But two?

While i want the Bills to win, this is not a guy I want on my team

in my opinion, he has too many question marks (age, character, injury history) to warrent a big money 4 or 5 year deal........max would be 3 years, although i'd prefer a 1 year deal, which he may choose to do if he finds the market as lukewarm as shelton did......given the timing of his release, that is entirely possible, and a 1 year deal will allow him to become a FA again when the market is more ripe.......

all that aside, he would make a great addition to the club and would solidfy the LT spot and serve as a stop gap until the bills can find help elsewhere........players of his quality are few and far between at that position........

354305[/snapback]

His agent has stated he's looking for a "Multi-Year" deal. I definitely wouldn't like to sign him to a 1-year deal. I think if we can get him then we should hold on to him. Especially since Moulds' contract has him making $9 mil next year, Clements is a FA, and a list of others as well. We don't want to throw finding a new LT on top of that mess do we?

I may be mistaken, but dude is two "alleged" rapes have investigated at his house. Now, Im one who can live with a guy doing a little weed or some other minor offences, but two rape investigations sound pretty hard core to me.

If it was only one, I can see how these players can get set up. But two? 

While i want the Bills to win, this is not a guy I want on my team

354311[/snapback]

Browns | Case Closed in Sexual Assault at Verba's Home - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:47:47 -0700

WKYC.com reports a case involving an alleged sexual assault at the home of Cleveland Browns OT Ross Verba has been closed. Police have said they have found "insignificant evidence" to prosecute the case, and the case will be closed with no charges. Verba was not a prospect in the case.

You are mistaken mon ami.

Verba would be better than Gandy. If Gandy is starting left tackle JP will always be running and we'll never get the chance to see how well he throws down field. Somehow, someway, the Bills manage to ignore the offensive line every year even though everyone else in the league knows it's the worst aspect of the team

His agent has stated he's looking for a "Multi-Year" deal. I definitely wouldn't like to sign him to a 1-year deal. I think if we can get him then we should hold on to him. Especially since Moulds' contract has him making $9 mil next year, Clements is a FA, and a list of others as well. We don't want to throw finding a new LT on top of that mess do we?

354312[/snapback]

based on the way the 2006 draft pool is shaping up at LT, i have no problem addressing that need next year........could be as many as 6 or 7 first round LT's from what i'm hearing.......

354312[/snapback]

I'd rather throw the big $$ at Clements, a proven top player. I wouldn't give up on signing him yet.

I'd rather throw the big $$ at Clements, a proven top player. I wouldn't give up on signing him yet.

354338[/snapback]

why can't they do both?

the bills can create enough room to accomplish both goals.......clements is only looking at a bump of around 1 million over his current 3.5M cap charge if he signs a long-term deal.........

Browns | Case Closed in Sexual Assault at Verba's Home - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:47:47 -0700

WKYC.com reports a case involving an alleged sexual assault at the home of Cleveland Browns OT Ross Verba has been closed. Police have said they have found "insignificant evidence" to prosecute the case, and the case will be closed with no charges. Verba was not a prospect in the case.

You are mistaken mon ami.

354316[/snapback]

Did that take care of both. Heres what I read.

No charges will be filed in the first alleged rape at the home of Browns left tackle Ross Verba that occured Dec. 17, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. Another alleged sexual assault at Verba's Dec. 29 is still being investigated.

Even if both have been dismissed, still seems kinda funny two alleged incidents happened at his home.

I just want the Bills to saty away from this guy.

based on the way the 2006 draft pool is shaping up at LT, i have no problem addressing that need next year........could be as many as 6 or 7 first round LT's from what i'm hearing.......

354334[/snapback]

Yes, but keep in mind we willing be picking last in the first round :)

I think we should offer him a fair 1 year deal......and then revisit it next year.  It would give us a LT for the year and we could then draft a LT with our 1st rounder

I like Verba....he is a nasty player

354521[/snapback]

Who cares about rape allegations anyway? The chick was probably wearing a miniskirt and asking for it.

No charges will be filed in the first alleged rape at the home of Browns left tackle Ross Verba that occured Dec. 17, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. Another alleged sexual assault at Verba's Dec. 29 is still being investigated.

Even if both have been dismissed, still seems kinda funny two alleged incidents happened at his home.

354365[/snapback]

Not that I know the details of the cases or anything but I see how it'd be very easy to have two incidents like that at your house without your involvement. Get a big house, throw a party. All kinds of stuff can happen that you don't know about at all. Maybe it was one of his friends, maybe it was someone else from the Browns, who knows. I'm just saying it isn't that unreasonable nor does it necessarily reflect badly on Verba, especially since they happened in such close proximity, it could have been the same person in both instances.

354365[/snapback]

Not to sound coldhearted or anything, but i'm not really concerned about what happens off the field. If the guy can play LT good, I don't care.

From what i've read, the incidents that happened didn't involve him. They just happened at his house. It's very easy to throw a party or two and have someone bad in the crowd. Not to mention, it's all hear say with no evidence.

The guy is a badass Left Tackle and Buffalo is a team without a quality Left Tackle. Git r' Done TD!!