The decline of Howard Simon

Adam

Wasn't Howard Simon nice enough to say some kind words to his listeners on this very board? I think we should keep that in mind.

353689[/snapback]

As I said- Howard Simon is a great guy, and has a great sports mind- he also understandsd that there is no need to be controversial....leave that to the kids who never were told no.

I think he's being forced into this by terrible management

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Howard Simon nice enough to say some kind words to his listeners on this very board? I think we should keep that in mind.

353689[/snapback]

A nice gesture signalling the end of the lifeline to out of town listeners.....

I will miss on line buffalo sports talk most during the season on mondays.......

As I said- Howard Simon is a great guy, and has a great sports mind- he also understandsd that there is no need to be controversial....leave that to the kids who never were told no.

I think he's being forced into this by terrible management

353885[/snapback]

Well said. Jeremy is like the whiny little brother who disagrees with everything you say, no matter how obvious. They make a terrible team. No interviews, which is one of Howard's major strength. The format of the show is just atrocious. They stick to one topic for the entire show. Basically, I find it unlistenable like others who have commented here.

I believe the demise of Howard is of his own doing. Not management.

I believe the demise of the very entertaining crew that he replaced, was of managements doing.

You all hated Puff and Bob and Kevin, but you all enjoyed Howard so much. Got what you wanted now?

I say Howard is running his own show based on the feedback I get from station managements replies to my complaints.

Initially about throwing away a morning show that was very entertaining and then replacing him with Howard who makes me yawn and now, makes me not listen to morning drive on GR anymore.

Much like a lot of you.

I would love to see where their ratings are right now or a month from now compared to what they were when they replaced my guys because of low ratings.

Can anyone tell me where to see that?

I would love to see where their ratings are right now or a month from now compared to what they were when they replaced my guys because of low ratings.

Can anyone tell me where to see that?

354092[/snapback]

Here's a general one, done quarterly:

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/D...00:00%20AM&CE=0

Well it looks to me based on the link provided that GR's ratings have in fact gone up.

Thanks for the link Dan and Anders.

But I go against the ratings increase. Unless there is Bills news, I will not be listening to GR's morning drive.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure I guess.

My garbage, Bob, Puff and Kevin wasn't good enough for them and their garbage of Howard and Jerremy isn't good enough for me.

I disagree again, that management is directing the style of the show. I think they are given a lot of free rein.

i saw him the other day at olive garden, anyone know how old he is? he looks horrible in person, he's really overweight now and hunched over, looks pretty bad

354933[/snapback]

Doesn't that description apply to many on this board?

Well it looks to me based on the link provided that GR's ratings have in fact gone up.

Thanks for the link Dan and Anders.

But I go against the ratings increase. Unless there is Bills news, I will not be listening to GR's morning drive.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure I guess.

My garbage, Bob, Puff and Kevin wasn't good enough for them and their garbage of Howard and Jerremy isn't good enough for me.

I disagree again, that management is directing the style of the show. I think they are given a lot of free rein.

355062[/snapback]

WRT ratings: The one thing you can say is that they didn't pick up all the WNSA listeners. In other words, their ratings are not equivalent to the total sports listening audience when there were two stations...Not that they necessarily expected to get the 100% gain, as they were picking up another station in the process anyway...that said...

WRT Simon/management: If Simon's running his own show without interference, why is it so far completely removed from what he did at WNSA? On WNSA, it was pretty much open format, it was Sports-heavy, he had a few topics to get the ball rolling but callers were free to ask about anything. On WGR, there's a strict set of topics that callers must adhere to and many topics are non-Sports. Are you saying that he was on the tight leash at WNSA and that his performance/format at WGR is more indicative of what is natural to him? You can obviously account for a difference in the time of the program (I know in the mornings even WNSA would resort to some schtick, and reduce the number of callers, even before Jimmy B) and the lack of guests, but do you really think we saw the "corporate Howard" at WNSA and are seeing the "real Howard" on WGR?

WRT ratings: The one thing you can say is that they didn't pick up all the WNSA listeners.  In other words, their ratings are not equivalent to the total sports listening audience when there were two stations...Not that they necessarily expected to get the 100% gain, as they were picking up another station in the process anyway...that said...

WRT Simon/management: If Simon's running his own show without interference, why is it so far completely removed from what he did at WNSA?  On WNSA, it was pretty much open format, it was Sports-heavy, he had a few topics to get the ball rolling but callers were free to ask about anything.  On WGR, there's a strict set of topics that callers must adhere to and many topics are non-Sports.  Are you saying that he was on the tight leash at WNSA and that his performance/format at WGR is more indicative of what is natural to him?  You can obviously account for a difference in the time of the program (I know in the mornings even WNSA would resort to some schtick, and reduce the number of callers, even before Jimmy B) and the lack of guests, but do you really think we saw the "corporate Howard" at WNSA and are seeing the "real Howard" on WGR?

355113[/snapback]

My fact-free opinion, backed up by the few face-to-face conversations I've had with him: we saw the "real" Howard last summer, when he was doing S&B/Simoncast on his own dime. For whatever reason, what I'm hearing now isn't it. Neil, we miss you....

The dearth of sports to cover right now isn't helping, either; no real Bills news, no hockey playoffs, no local interest in the NBA leaves.... what, exactly? Oh yeah, "Dancing With The Stars". And "ESPN Movie Night".

Again, just my opinion -- make of that what you will.

And while I'm in this thread, I'll take a shot at answering LabattBlue's question:

Also, are the Bills holding a grudge against WGR from the Dickerson era at the station? I heard Schopp complaining the other day that no players, coaches or front office staff want anything to do with WGR. Of course, this coming from a guy who seems to enjoy bashing anything football related which seems to play second fiddle to his beloved game of baseball.

It's not just Dickerson, but there's a grudge there allright. And as long as certain on-air hosts continue to rant about One Bills Drive, it's not likely to end any time soon. (Somebody might want to pass that information along to Mr. Schopp - right now he's part of the problem, not the solution....)

It must be management and its a puzzling approach. Howard doesn't have much of a personality and for some reason they insist on playing to his weaknesses. Howard is best (and i'm not a huge fan) when he's using his concise manner in dealing with local and national issues. By making him painfully fill time with non-sports topics and then pair him with a total moron, it makes for awful radio.

I cant help but think that management encourages this type of idiotic talk. Brad Riter is a great example. His show is one the alltime GR train wrecks yet he continues to keep his slot. It takes talent to keep sportstalk interesting when its slow but its done all the time elsewhere (Fan 590 for example)

Sadly, until another sports station comes along to give listeners who like actual sportstalk a forum, we'll be subjected to this garbage for awhile. Best advice: dont listen.

It's not just Dickerson, but there's a grudge there allright. And as long as certain on-air hosts continue to rant about One Bills Drive, it's not likely to end any time soon. (Somebody might want to pass that information along to Mr. Schopp - right now he's part of the problem, not the solution....)

356031[/snapback]

Are they that thin skinned down there at One Bills Drive?

Are they that petty down there at One Bills Drive?

Are they really trying so hard to be so all controlling of everything including people's individual thoughts? :flirt:

Oops nevermind, I hear then coming for me now. :P

They need to get over themselves. Maybe it's an edict issued from Ralph after Chuck was canned that forever more WGR shall not be entitled to access at One Bills Drive. I'm sure they hate Ruben for coming on GR, doing a regular show and gasp! :P speaking his mind and telling it like it is. er, was.

Conversley I'm sure they don't give a rats ass about the Coy Wire show because, well, he isn't or a'int about to do anything other than tow the company line. ;)

When Schopp speaks about these issues I for one tend to agree with him.

Of course I liked Puff, Bob and Kevin. Chuck, Bob Mcowan and highest of the almighty, Grapes, Don Cherry! ;)

So maybe I like pickin on the snobs. So be it!

I cant help but think that management encourages this type of idiotic talk.

356056[/snapback]

Some consultant probably sold Entercom a bill of goods that a "Best Damn Sports Show-type" hip, jive talkn' format targeted to the 18-44 year old blue collar male listener would be a killer in Buffalo. Corporate radio BS at it's finest....

What WGR wants to be when it grows up...

Look, you have to realize that WGR is trying to court the semi-sports fan. They figure the hardcore sports fans will be tuning in, but they need to offer something to those who do not want to hear sports 24-7.

It is all about broadening their demographics. If it was not working they would not continue to do it.

Also, to they guy who hates Brad: F-U!!!! He is the best on the station. it is not a coinsidence that he breaks most of the big stories with interviews. He does that while talking about which food you can eat for a week straight without throwing up! Funny stuff there.