Saint Josh of Buffalo?

oldmanfan

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The past several days there has been a lot of talk about Josh.  Among the things that I have read just today:

He can’t ever learn to read defenses pre-snap so just let him play how he wants

He was better when Daboll was here, and Daboll hated McD so much he was willing to throw away a series in one of the playoff games against the Chiefs to prove it.

Josh is already a sure fire first ballot HOFer and the best player to ever put on a Bills uniform

The issue the offense has had recently are all Dorsey’s fault, or the O line, or the WRs. 

And so on.  It seems to some that Josh and the quality of his play is untouchable, that no one dare question anything about his play.

Here is my perspective, and I’ve literally seen every player that has ever played for the Bills since 1960.  I love that we have Josh as our QB.  He is the mainstay of the team.  He gives us a shot every time he walks in the field. I think he may be the most physically gifted QB we have had in team history.  His arm strength is great, although Kelly’s was as well and Jack Kemp did not exactly have a noodle arm.  He is competitive and tough as you want; again so was Kelly and for those who don’t remember Kemp he was a bulldog as well.  But Josh is on a plain above them and others QBs playing today when talking about his physical skills.  if Josh continues on his path he will be in the HOF and I fully expect at least one Lombardi or two before he’s done.  He may be the best to ever wear the uniform especially when he wins a Lombardi (but at present Bruce and OJ would have an argument).

But he is not a saint.  He is not perfect, he is not immune from criticism, and there are things he can improve in his game.  In that regard he is like any other NFL player or coach,  past or present.  McD and Dorsey deserve criticism at times.  Daboll did when he was here (many forget the vitriol thrown at him).  The WRs, the line, the RBs they all deserve it at times.  And so does Josh.  The Jets game he stunk.  There, I said it.  So did Josh.  Then he played great in the three blowout games.  He hasn’t played well in the first half of the last 3 games, then played very well in the second halves.  He turns the ball over more than he should.  And when people say he has no one to throw to, sometimes yes but the film says sometimes no.

If it was any other player on the team, no one would argue that player is perfect, that they should be immune from criticism.  Josh is no different in that regard.  He is different from the perspective of how prodigious his physical talent is, but not that he cannot continue improving.  Someone said today that he can never be a Brady in terms of pre-snaps reads.  I say:  why not?  Why can’t he continue improving there, improving in recognizing blitzes.  Improving in getting the ball out to a hot read?  Why?

Again, I love Josh.  I love how much he has brought to the team.  I love how he has embraced the community, the Mafia, his talent, and that we have our guy, a guy that I know can take us all the way, for at least another 10 years.  But he is not a saint.  I don’t think we need to treat him as such.  Let’s recognize him for what he is; a tremendously talented QB who with continued experience may very well be spoken of as one of the greatest ever.  But that at present he has room to get better.  And if someone had the temerity to say so it does not mean they are a non-fan, or Bills hater, or whatever. 

this post is a reality check and well said. I will say that  being a protestant Christian the  noun saint refers to a person who is saved. So not to be picky but I think a lot of the fan base  think of Josh Allen as a human football "God"  worthy of football worship. The ONE. #savior 

he certainly is not a deity. And yes ihe s not perfect.  But dang close. 😉  

GO BILLS

Edited by muppy

5 hours ago, T&C said:

When I see Josh take the title from Jack I'll climb on board but until then we only have 1 winning QB no matter the era. It was smash mouth then, now it's Babycakes. Kemp is simply the only Bills QB who has taken us as far as we could possibly go... I don't see how there can be a debate on that fact.

There’s no debate on what the team achieved with him at QB ; he’s just not the best QB the Bills have had. 

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That difference is entirely dependent on factors other then two QB's.  It is a team game after all. 

It’s a team game where the qb is the leader of the team responsible for most or all of its points. Allen’s overall stats may be similar to Mahomes thus far this season but their performances have not been the same. Allen accrued a lot of those stats in the blowout wins against the Fins and Raiders. He struggled against the Jets, Jax, NYG, and Pats losing 3 of those games. The Chiefs offense, while working in new receivers, have not struggled as much in their games as the Bills have and still managed to win 6 out of 7 games.

No one that has watched both teams so far this year will say Allen has been as good as Mahomes if they’re being objective. 

• Disagree 2

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

PATRICK MAHOMES IS 6-1. His passer rating is better than Josh's. He is throwing for more yards than Josh.

And you're telling me he's "pretty bad" by our standards?  So Josh is even worse???

Am I taking crazy pills?

So what youre telling me is that youve only been looking at stats and not the games then. Cool.

The Mahomes and Allen you are currently seeing is not the best version of themselves. Its as simple as that. If Mahomes was 4-3 right now itd be the same exact conversation over in KC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.