O Line Pass Pro / QB Unforced Error All 22 Analysis - Week 5 - Jags

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, WR is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 3

MCGOVERN - 0

MORSE - 1

TORRENCE - 3

BROWN - 1

-DAWKINS - Dion drew a tough matchup against Josh Allen #41. He was beaten several times and generally had a rough day overall.

- MCGOVERN - Yet again... another clean sheet for McGovern. Guy is a stud.

- MORSE - Morse finally gave up a pressure after 3 weeks of giving up nothing

- TORRENCE - First rough day for the rook. Several holding calls and a missed stunt among the errors

- BROWN - First solid game of the season for #79. He did a good job with stunt pickup and only surrendered one pressure. 

- DORSEY - Not much chipping or help from TEs in this one.. for the most part the O Line held its own without extra assistance. I counted 2 chips from Knox on DEs. No chips from RBs that I saw. 

OL SUMMARY :  The line had a few rough patches but generally played well enough to give #17 a chance on most reps. The Jags blitzed heavily.. and Josh Allen #41 was a force to be reckoned with all day. The Jags also threw in several stunts and the  Bills O Line had mixed results picking them up. For the most part the O Linemen were on their own without chips or RB help. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 4 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS 

q1:  UE 1 - First series of game Josh throw in flat to Cook on 3rd down too hard too far outside.. incompletion and punt

q2: Dawkins beaten to the inside by #41 flushing Allen from the pocket forcing a throwaway 

q3: UE 2 - Allen rushes blitz beater throw on hook route to Davis.. high throw .. incompletion

q3: Torrence misreads twist stunt and gives up pressure

q3:  Cook whiffs on pass pro rep 

q3: UE 3- Josh steps up to avoid the blitz..has Murray wide open in the flat but chooses to go downfield to Knox who is covered and overthrows him

q4- Brown beaten to the inside by 44 flushes Allen to incomplete pass

q4:  Brown and Torrence do good job of picking up twist stunt

q4: UE 4 - INT Josh has Diggs open on deep ball but waits a beat too long and tries to throw bomb ..but he would have needed it to go 75 yds to outthrow the CB. He had Murray wide open for dump down

q4:  Torrence holding

q4:  #41 does twist stunt.. Morse recognizes it but is still beaten .. #41 absolutely destroys the other #17 Josh Allen on a sack ( called back questionable helmet to helmet)

OVERALL SUMMARY:   What a strange game. From what I could see in the ALL 22 the O Line generally gave Allen time.. and Allen did a good job navigating muddy pockets. The problem I kept seeing was the receivers had very little separation and Allen was forced to throw into tight windows all day. Allen had a few unforced errors where he went for it all instead of taking the dump down to move the chains.. however.. for the most part #17 was getting the ball out quickly and taking what the D gave him. Dawkins had his first rough day as did Torrence. Hats off to Spencer Brown who had a solid day. He did a good job picking up stunts and did not surrender a single speed rush to the outside.. which has been his Achillies Heel. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Thanks, great write up.

I did note a weak game by Torrence which really surprised me.  Tough overseas game for the rookie, i have to give him and the Bills a pass on this ridiculous "home game" where the jaguars get a week more to get their body time adjusted.

thank you for catching that.. it was the INT. i edited the post to include it

q4: UE 4 - INT Josh has Diggs open on deep ball but waits a beat too long and tries to throw bomb ..but he would have needed it to go 75 yds to outthrow the CB. He had Murray wide open for dump down

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Thanks, great write up.

I did note a weak game by Torrence which really surprised me.  Tough overseas game for the rookie, i have to give him and the Bills a pass on this ridiculous "home game" where the jaguars get a week more to get their body time adjusted.

The London games are such an outlier..such a strange setting. Im chalking most of this to the "London Effect".. flush and forget. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

The pass protection was fine indeed. But what happened to RUN BLOCKING? It seems all runs were stuffed right away. 

Joe Marino said it was mostly a numbers problem.

Jags had 8 or sometimes even 9 guys in the box. (Again, according to Joe Marino on his all 22 breakdown)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.