Oh Man! 2006 Contract Year Galore!

Here's how I look at it:

Moulds: There's a lot of variables here. I love Moulds but he has been showing a slow decline. I think Lee Evans will be our #1 guy by next season. If Moulds is willing to re-structure then HELL YEAH he must stay! But if he shows more decline and isn't willing then i'd say we'd have to trade him and draft ANOTHER WR with our first pick in 06 to join Evans and Parrish

Nate Clements: I would love for him to be back. I don't care how much it costs. But I just don't think it will happen. He's definitely priority #1 in my book, even before Moulds.

Trey Teague: I think drafting Duke Preston spelled the end of his days in Buffalo. Unless we switch him to tackle.

Ron Edwards: After the loss of Pat Williams, I don't think we can afford to lose another DT. Especially when you consider Sam Adams' age. But I guess i'm alone in feeling this. We'll see how he performs this year and re-evaluate.

Ryan Denney: Get the F-CK outta here!

Josh Reed: See Ryan Denney

Justin Bannan/Lawrence Smith: This is just getting repetitive :lol:

Kevin Thomas: Honestly IMO with Troy Vincent switching to Safety, I feel as if we're thin at CB. I've always felt that McGee is no better than a 3rd and a 5th round pick isn't going to help much right now. Thomas is a great special teamer and I think he has to be re-signed. Especially if we can't get Nate back.

Daimon Shelton: I really like Daimon. He's an awesome blocker for Willis and he's really been consistent. If he'll re-sign at a reasonable rate, then GIT R' DONE TD!

Jon Dorenbas: I could go either way. I like him but at the same time I don't know how much I like maintaining a spot for a Long Snapper. Whatever happens here doesn't really matter to me.

If you want to see when all of the players are locked up until I built this a while go:

http://members.cox.net/billswatch/players.html

I have not added the newer players (almost all contracts are not signed) but majority of the players who were on roster last year and still in play are on it.

351728[/snapback]

Great work, that helps me out a lot. For some reason I thought Posey and Milloy ran up this year...I'm happy I was wrong.

Here's how I look at it:

Ryan Denney: Get the F-CK outta here!

351735[/snapback]

I think you and the others who seem to think Denney is a total failure are simply flat out wrong.

Like most NFL players (even some stars sd only a couple of players per team are so much more talented than the back-ups that they cannot be replaced by a combination of elevated play from a back-up who finally gets his chance and scheme changes that demphasize forcing the sub to do things he can't do or actually play to the subs talents. If you disagree with this assessment than look no further than NE which suffered a plethora of injuries but found subs who filled in nicely. If you want to claim NE is a special case that cannot be repeated, merely look across the league which is filled with individual cases of teams who were declared DOOMED when the starter went down but somehow folks such as Brady up for Bledsoe, Warner oicked up for Trent Green. Bills DT did the job on the OL in the redzone and Pittsburgh scrubs ran over the vaunted Bills D in the last game. There are some clunkers and bad choaches out there, but face it when you make it at the Pro level many players are simply interchangeable.

Now back to Denney.

He totally sucked as a rookie and was so bad that he was inactive for much of his initial season despire being a 2nd round pick for us that the Bills actually trade additional value for him to draft him off the phone from Pittsburgh. You only get one chance to make a first impression and Denney's was bad.

However, his play and performance improved, but many fans refuse to notice this because his first impression was so bad.

Why do I claim he has value as a player that if he stays at the same level or continues to improve as quickly as he has since his second year he will remain a Bill. I say this because:

1. If one looks at last year's depth chart you will notice that after Ritzman went on the IR the Bills actually only had 3 DEs on the roster. If Denney sucked so bad then why would quality coaches like Tim Nrumrie or Jerry Gray feel comfortable with him being an injury away from him starting at both RDE or LDE for us.

2. In addition to backing up both positions, we actually utilized a rotating DL which saw all three DEs play signitficant amounts of time. If Denney sucked so bad how did we run a DL rotation.

3. Some might try to claim that because we ran the run blitz it was actually Posey who often played the traditional DE role. This was true sometimes but when it was it actually points to why Denney and his play were valuable. When he did not rush and an LB did this meant he had short and even sometimes medium zone pass coverage. I think this area points to the biggest improvemnt in Denney as a player. As a rookie he had so many problems bending and using his body properly that he was benched. By his second season he had begun to master control of his athleticism and by 2004 he used his big winspan to cut off short passes and used his athleticism to even cover deeper than most DE can think of doing.

4. Denney is no pass rusher (the traditional role of the LDS, but having BBBrruuccee spoiled us) but he is a solid plater against the run. In fact, he lined up as a DT on several plays because he was solid enough to play inside if necessary/ Phat Pat routinely left the game on third down and depending on the down and distance we might sit him for a DB playing the nickel or dime. However, in some cases he was sat because we brought in Denney who might be rushing but he could also drop back into pass coverage.

5. If Denney struggled so much at D than why heck did MM actually draft him as a D player to play offense occaisionally in the redzone. If his DE play was so bad I doubt that Krimrie would have accepted him taking on this distraction or getting this reward.

Look, Denney is no stud who will get a lot of FA offers and that should keep him as a Bill. However, it simply ignores the quality and improvement of his play to leep insisting he sucks. This D performed well statistically and the ONLY back-up DE we had played a significant role in reaching this result as a team. He will not be mistaken for Bruce by even the most lame watcher. However, one is not seeing the real game to insist he sucks because he played a central role in a very good D last year.

Geesh! We might be looking at a brand new team next year depth-wise. Clements, Shelton, Kevin Thomas, and Ron Edwards MUST be re-signed.

351631[/snapback]

Why? So we can continue NOT making the playoffs without them?

Does Mark Gaughah, of the Buffalo News, get paid by the report or something?

I think TD did his MO on drafting Teague's replacement this year. And with the salary cap increasing with the new TV money, Moulds will likely restructure to stay and there should be adequate room to sign Clements, if he wants to (that's the bigger question). The others just aren't much of a worry. The list is long every year and somehow, they manage to get 80 competitive guys in camp. Not much to wring the terrycloth about right now.

351645[/snapback]

I agree. Also considering that the average NFL contracts are in the 4year

ballpark, you would expect approximately 25% players of a team to be

eligible for FA....which makes it about 13 players of a 53 man roster.

We haven't won schitt with them, so it's time to rebuild this team around JP, McGahee, and Evans.

351858[/snapback]

True. The team must be built around JP, McGahee, and Evans. They're our answer to Kelly, Thurman, and Andre (god willing).

But to say we should just let everyone loose and build a new team is pretty out there.

And for the love of god FFS, condense your thoughts a little! My ADD kicks in at about the 30th paragraph. Denney may have improved but do you really think he has earned a new contract?

I think you and the others who seem to think Denney is a total failure are simply flat out wrong.

Like most NFL players (even some stars sd only a couple of players per team are so much more talented than the back-ups that they cannot be replaced by a combination of elevated play from a back-up who finally gets his chance and scheme changes that demphasize forcing the sub to do things he can't do or actually play to the subs talents.  If you disagree with this assessment than look no further than NE which suffered a plethora of injuries but found subs who filled in nicely.  If you want to claim NE is a special case that cannot be repeated, merely look across the league which is filled with individual cases of teams who were declared DOOMED when the starter went down but somehow folks such as Brady up for Bledsoe, Warner oicked up for Trent Green. Bills DT did the job on the OL in the redzone and Pittsburgh scrubs ran over the vaunted Bills D in the last game. There are some clunkers and bad choaches out there, but face it when you make it at the Pro level many players are simply interchangeable.

Now back to Denney.

He totally sucked as a rookie and was so bad that he was inactive for much of his initial season despire being a 2nd round pick for us that the Bills actually trade additional value for him to draft him off the phone from Pittsburgh.  You only get one chance to make a first impression and Denney's was bad.

However, his play and performance improved, but many fans refuse to notice this because his first impression was so bad. 

Why do I claim he has value as a player that if he stays at the same level or continues to improve as quickly as he has since his second year he will remain a Bill. I say this because:

1. If one looks at last year's depth chart you will notice that after Ritzman went on the IR the Bills actually only had 3 DEs on the roster. If Denney sucked so bad then why would quality coaches like Tim Nrumrie or Jerry Gray feel comfortable with him being an injury away from him starting at both RDE or LDE for us.

2. In addition to backing up both positions, we actually utilized a rotating DL which saw all three DEs play signitficant amounts of time. If Denney sucked so bad how did we run a DL rotation.

3. Some might try to claim that because we ran the run blitz it was actually Posey who often played the traditional DE role. This was true sometimes but when it was it actually points to why Denney and his play were valuable. When he did not rush and an LB did this meant he had short and even sometimes medium zone pass coverage. I think this area points to the biggest improvemnt in Denney as a player. As a rookie he had so many problems bending and using his body properly that he was benched.  By his second season he had begun to master control of his athleticism and by 2004 he used his big winspan to cut off short passes and used his athleticism to even cover deeper than most DE can think of doing.

4. Denney is no pass rusher (the traditional role of the LDS, but having BBBrruuccee  spoiled us) but he is a solid plater against the run. In fact, he lined up as a DT on several plays because he was solid enough to play inside if necessary/ Phat Pat routinely left the game on third down and depending on the down and distance we might sit him for a DB playing the nickel or dime.  However, in some cases he was sat because we brought in Denney who might be rushing but he could also drop back into pass coverage.

5. If Denney struggled so much at D than why heck did MM actually draft him as a D player to play offense occaisionally in the redzone. If his DE play was so bad I doubt that Krimrie would have accepted him taking on this distraction or getting this reward.

Look, Denney is no stud who will get a lot of FA offers and that should keep him as a Bill. However, it simply ignores the quality and improvement of his play to leep insisting he sucks.  This D performed well statistically and the ONLY back-up DE we had played a significant role in reaching this result as a team. He will not be mistaken for Bruce by even the most lame watcher. However, one is not seeing the real game to insist he sucks because he played a central role in a very good D last year.

351769[/snapback]

Good post FFS...denney isnt a star, but hes a solid player that has done his role nicely in the past year or so...too many people are ready to throw him to the wolves, but when you can get cheap solid role-players, thats the way to build a team...too many people think we need to field 22 superstars...