THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Squish

Shaw66

13 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Hey buddy, you only need one space after periods.

You know, I know that's the rule these days, but I simply never have gotten comfortable with it.   The way I do it is perfectly acceptable, according to the style book I refer to.   Which style book is that?  The one in my head.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for the writeup. Great, as always.

The two stories of the game -- and of the season so far -- were the play in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and the controlled, surgical precision of Josh Allen.

When the Bills are controlling both lines of scrimmage the way they have been lately, and when Josh Allen is playing this brand of football, the Bills are nearly unstoppable.

I thought the game on Sunday turned on two plays. The first was the Diggs catch-and-run TD, where the two Dolphins would-be tacklers fell haplessly to the ground, Diggs went dashing, and the Bills were suddenly up 14 points instead of 7. The second, coming just a short time later, was the interception to Micah Hyde. Once the Bills went in to half time up 31-14, I felt pretty comfortable that they'd be victorious. An otherwise close game, that very well COULD have been a back-and-forth shootout, instead changed on two plays. Things snowballed from there.

But going back to the stories of the game and of the season: If you have great offensive and defensive lines in the NFL, and if you have elite quarterback play -- and right now, the Bills have both -- you have not only a good shot to win games in the high double digits, you also have a chance to hoist a Lombardi trophy. So far, so good.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The two stories of the game -- and of the season so far -- were the play in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and the controlled, surgical precision of Josh Allen.
But going back to the stories of the game and of the season: If you have great offensive and defensive lines in the NFL, and if you have elite quarterback play -- and right now, the Bills have both -- you have not only a good shot to win games in the high double digits, you also have a chance to hoist a Lombardi trophy. So far, so good.

When McDermott arrived in Buffalo, almost the first thing he said was "You have to win up front."

On innumerable occasions since then he's repeated some variation of that same message.

If he has one basic tenet about football, that might be the one.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

When McDermott arrived in Buffalo, almost the first thing he said was "You have to win up front."

On innumerable occasions since then he's repeated some variation of that same message.

If he has one basic tenant about football, that might be the one.

And he's right!

When I watch a football game, I spend the first three or so drives for each team just watching the trenches. Seeing who's winning each battle, and by how much, more often than not tells you who's going to win the game.

It looks like in the seventh year of his tenure, he may finally be getting his wish. This is as good as I've seen the OL and DL look since McDermott arrived.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

It looks like in the seventh year of his tenure, he may finally be getting his wish. This is as good as I've seen the OL and DL look since McDermott arrived.

One thing McBeane said and they've done is improve the roster every year. Impressive.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

And he's right!

When I watch a football game, I spend the first three or so drives for each team just watching the trenches. Seeing who's winning each battle, and by how much, more often than not tells you who's going to win the game.

Exactly no one would argue that since McDermott took over in 2017, that this current Bills team:

• Protects their own QB better
  • Blocks for the running game better
  • Pressures the opposing QB better

The Bills aren't going to win in the trenches in every game but it seems to me that they're going to win most of the time.

Groot and Daquan Jones had monster games too. On offense, Dorsey finally was calling the short passes to open up both the run and an occasional deep ball.it was nice seeing multiple receiving options within 0-10 yards of the line of scrimmage instead of 4 deep routes. I’m no expert, but it seemed to me that the calls were putting guys in better spots to get YAC and sustain drives. Plus, Murray and Harris can convert those 3rd and short plays, which the bills haven’t had an RB do consistently in years. They move the pile with them. Great game Sunday. Now onto London!

Bass needs special mention especially with that 53-yard boot before half time.  If he misses that kick, then we are giving the ball to the Dolphins  closer to mid field and they could have flipped around by a FG and hten they got the ball back to start the 3rd quarter and marched down for a TD...the score could have suddenly become 28-24.  That kick was Clutch.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Bass needs special mention especially with that 53-yard boot before half time.  If he misses that kick, then we are giving the ball to the Dolphins  closer to mid field and they could have flipped around by a FG and hten they got the ball back to start the 3rd quarter and marched down for a TD...the score could have suddenly become 28-24.  That kick was Clutch.

Yes.  That was a big play.  The points were nice, but avoiding the miss was really big.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.