Aiden O'Connell not the first: Tom O'Connell started for the Bills in our inaugural season in 1960.

EasternOHBillsFan

Thought this would be a fun fact for today... I have his rookie card and when I saw the name, I thought back to our first QB in team history, Tom O'Connell:

Aiden O'Connell is starting for the Raiders today, and he will be only the second O'Connell at QB to start in pro football history, the first being Tommy O'Connell of the Buffalo Bills. Here is the story of the first QB to start for the Buffalo Bills in its history on September 11th, 1960.

"O’Connell won the starting job and was the first quarterback in the first game in Bills’ history. It took place on September 11, 1960, in the Polo Grounds against the New York Titans. From a personal and team standpoint, it couldn’t have gone much worse for O’Connell. He was 2 of 10 for 37 yards, and was replaced by Bob Brodhead. Tom also took a hit on a muffed reverse and had to exit the game for a while. The Bills lost the game, 27-3.

“It should be remembered that we have 13 games to go,” O’Connell said afterwards. “We have to get meaner and throw caution to the wind.”

Tom was better in the next game –13 for 23 for 218 yards with two touchdowns but with five interceptions. The Broncos won that one, 27-21. “As I see it, I was the goat of the game. I had that pass intercepted late in the game when we were leading and it led to the winning touchdown for the Broncos,” O’Connell said. He cut down on the interceptions in game three, going 6 for 16 for 131 yards with one touchdown and one pick. That was enough, as the defense pitched a shutout against the Boston Patriots in a 13-0 win –the first in team history.

“The victory belongs, of course, to our defense,” O’Connell said. “This was the first time in our league (that) a team was shut out, in exhibition or league play. … Our team was alert and played sharp football for 60 minutes.”

O’Connell made it through the season, playing in 11 games and starting in six of them. He finished 65 for 145 for 1,033 yards with seven touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Johnny Green, Bob Brodhead and Richie Lucas also did some throwing for Buffalo that season, and Green probably was the best of the bunch. The team finished with a 5-8-1 record. On February 2, 1961, O’Connell announced his retirement from football and was named an assistant coach. However, injuries forced the Bills to reactivate him on August 23.

He started the season’s first game against Denver (a 22-10 loss) because Green was out with an injury. O’Connell was 1 of 5 for 11 yards with one interception, and then was knocked out of the game. Lucas saw the rest of the playing time at QB from there. “Let’s face it, quarterback is the biggest part of your offense. No quarterback, no offense,” coach Buster Ramsey said after the game. “We’ve lost our starting quarterback (O’Connell). The quarterback is the leader and when he went out, it demoralized the club. I’m going home and calling six National League coaches to see if I can round up some players.”

Buffalo signed Warren Rabb later that week. Meanwhile, that game was it for Tom; he retired from playing soon afterwards and went back to coaching for the rest of the season.O’Connell finished his five-year pro career by completing 204 of 423 passes (48.2) percent for 3,261 yards with 212 touchdown downs and 34 interceptions. His record as a starter was 11-8-2."

https://www.buffalosportspage.com/bills-throwback-tom-oconnell/

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

O’Connell finished his five-year pro career by completing 204 of 423 passes (48.2) percent for 3,261 yards with 212 touchdown downs and 34 interceptions. His record as a starter was 11-8-2."

https://www.buffalosportspage.com/bills-throwback-tom-oconnell/

212 TD's? Pretty good for only starting 21 games!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.