Let's Sign the guy Jennings replaced in SF

Gragg was cut by SF. :D

Never really heard of him, and honestly don't know how good he is. But if SF was willing to pay a 2nd/3rd tier tackle 37 million to replace him, and were that desperate, he probably sucks.

Gragg was cut by SF.  :D

Never really heard of him, and honestly don't know how good he is.  But if SF was willing to pay a 2nd/3rd tier tackle 37 million to replace him, and were that desperate, he probably sucks.

350312[/snapback]

Logical move.

Sounds like more of a pure pass blocker, not a run blocker, been a starter with the Giants and SF for about 7 years stright, and doesn't seemed to have missed any time.

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Scott Gragg

Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade: 70 | Key

Alert: A

Comment:

Gragg is extremely durable and despite turning 32 during the off-season he has yet to show any signs of slowing down. Plays with a mean streak, works to sustain his blocks and can be dominant at the point of attack. Shows excellent footwork, plays under control and rarely overextends. Plays with balance and shows the ability to redirect in pass protection. Uses long arms to ride defenders past the pocket and does a great job of forcing edge rushers to take wider angles to the quarterback. Gragg however, is a better football player than he is an athlete. Lacks ideal range, doesn't appear comfortable in space and isn't a great downfield blocker as a result. Overall, Gragg is on the downside of his career but he should have one or two more seasons left before time robs him of his skills.

Gragg was cut by SF.  :D

Never really heard of him, and honestly don't know how good he is.  But if SF was willing to pay a 2nd/3rd tier tackle 37 million to replace him, and were that desperate, he probably sucks.

350312[/snapback]

nice try. nobody's saying JJ was 2nd/3rd tier, but i certainly appreciate your willingness to continue beating this deceased equine. <_<

Sounds like more of a pure pass blocker, not a run blocker

That statement does not appear consistent with the description:

"Plays with a mean streak, works to sustain his blocks and can be dominant at the point of attack"

I haven't seen much of him in the NFC, but he seems like the kind of guy who's solid in a lot of areas but not great in any.

Whne somebody says a guy is "a better football player than he is an athlete" I immediately want to sign him.

That statement does not appear consistent with the description:

"Plays with a mean streak, works to sustain his blocks and can be dominant at the point of attack"

I haven't seen much of him in the NFC, but he seems like the kind of guy who's solid in a lot of areas but not great in any.

Whne somebody says a guy is "a better football player than he is an athlete" I immediately want to sign him.

350332[/snapback]

You, Badol, and I are in agreement on that topic. I'll take a 'player' every day over an athlete.

nice try.  nobody's saying JJ was 2nd/3rd tier, but i certainly appreciate your willingness to continue beating this deceased equine.  :D

350326[/snapback]

So you think Jennings is a top tier LT up there with Ogden, Pace, Adams, Gross, Thomas or Roaf?

He is next tier or possibly even one more tier down.

The homer attitude is great, but not realistic. Jennings wasn't and isn't that good, and a reason serveral Gm's came out and said publicaly that was the worst FA signing of the year. SF way overpaid.

Jennings wasn't and isn't that good, and a reason serveral Gm's came out and said publicaly that was the worst FA signing of the year. 

350356[/snapback]

who are these GM's that said that? links please

Gragg's name was definitely among the potential June 1 cuts that could be considered here. Obviously, he has a "name." He played under McNally for one year in NY. The one downside that I've seen of him is that he's a RT.

But the intangibles are definitely there, and if we're to opine on the type of OLs that McNally has built in his history, I think that he prefers veterans who won't embarrass themselves on the field. Gragg fits that description, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Buffalo Bill by the end of next week.

who are these GM's that said that? links please

350371[/snapback]

I don't have them off the top of my head, but several GM's were referred to here, in stories that they were shocked at how much he got and that SF way overpaid for him. Look through the archives.

So you think Jennings is a top tier LT up there with Ogden, Pace, Adams, Gross, Thomas or Roaf? 

He is next tier or possibly even one more tier down. 

The homer attitude is great, but not realistic.  Jennings wasn't and isn't that good, and a reason serveral Gm's came out and said publicaly that was the worst FA signing of the year.  SF way overpaid.

350356[/snapback]

you have completely missed my point. JJ is not a top 5 LT, but he's not 3rd tier either. he's a quality starting LT who was grossly overpaid by SF because of the market this year. that said, i don't understand why anyone would suggest signing a player who was released to make room for him, particularly when the bills' coaching staff seems to think the starting LT for this season is already on the roster and we have one of the best OL coaches in the game.

homer attitude? i choose to err on the side of optimism, but i think i'm pretty logical and reasonable in my assessment of what the bills have done. compare and contrast with the negative ninnies and knee-jerk reactionists who go ballistic with every tidbit of information (or misinformation).

you have completely missed my point.  JJ is not a top 5 LT, but he's not 3rd tier either.  he's a quality starting LT who was grossly overpaid by SF because of the market this year.  that said, i don't understand why anyone would suggest signing a player who was released to make room for him, particularly when the bills' coaching staff seems to think the starting LT for this season is already on the roster and we have one of the best OL coaches in the game.

homer attitude?  i choose to err on the side of optimism, but i think i'm pretty logical and reasonable in my assessment of what the bills have done.  compare and contrast with the negative ninnies and knee-jerk reactionists who go ballistic with every tidbit of information (or misinformation).

350398[/snapback]

You do know I jokingly said to sign Gragg right? :D

However, Jennings was way overpaid. And depending on your tier structure is a 2nd or 3rd tier. I like to break it down so it's about 7-8 per tier. This way the starters are usually in the top 4 tiers. Hence I look at Jennings at right about 14-16 in the league. 2nd-3rd tier.

I don't have them off the top of my head, but several GM's were referred to here, in stories that they were shocked at how much he got and that SF way overpaid for him.  Look through the archives.

350395[/snapback]

plenty in the media made comments about the deal, but i did not see one GM make a negative comment regarding it and i would be shocked if any insulted the niners publically in that manner.......

you recall who the media considered one of the worst free agent signings last year? bertrand berry -- 5 years/25 million........and how did that turn out for them?

You do know I jokingly said to sign Gragg right?  :D

However, Jennings was way overpaid.  And depending on your tier structure is a 2nd or 3rd tier.  I like to break it down so it's about 7-8 per tier. This way the starters are usually in the top 4 tiers.  Hence I look at Jennings at right about 14-16 in the league.  2nd-3rd tier.

350405[/snapback]

yes, i viewed your original post as sarcasm (hence my original reply). but the discussion that followed shows that others took you seriously. my comments were more aimed at them with respect to the guy SF cut.

i think JJ is a bottom 1st tier/top 2nd tier guy. definitely in the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the league as far as starting LTs go.

i think JJ is a bottom 1st tier/top 2nd tier guy.  definitely in the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the league as far as starting LTs go.

350415[/snapback]

and, i might add, at his age he certainly has room to improve and continue to get better.........i don't believe we've seen nearly the best out of JJ as of yet.......

and, i might add, at his age he certainly has room to improve and continue to get better.........i don't believe we've seen nearly the best out of JJ as of yet.......

350416[/snapback]

I disagree with you. I don't see him getting any better, but I do see him getting injured more often & missing more time with each season that goes by.

If he had stayed with the Bills and McNally, I could see him possibly getting better, but think he'll only regress playing for the 49'ers. And in any case, I don't think he'll be able to stay healthy, which was a big reason I'm glad they didn't pay him the mad money the 49'ers did.

Gragg is a stiff old ORT who did not cut it last year and has injury issues. He is no answer to the Bills OLT problem.

Prisco and others commented that some told him the Niners way overpaid for JJ. The Niners were desperate for OL help because they insisted on keeping the #1 overall and wasting it on Alex Smith. The Niners also franchised a player with a torn Achilles and paid a $6 mil bonus to Kevan Barlow. Stupid is as stupid does...