indy 500 today

open wheel racing in america is not popular at all. It has a very small following and quite frankly is more boring than nascar. I'm a huge Formula One fan (imagine eurotrash driving road courses at 5am on a sunday... that takes dedication and a season pass manager). However, something about the Indy 500 makes me watch every year. I know nothing about the newer racers. All i know are the famous guys throughout the history of the race. I know two things this year though: danica patrick has a shot to actually win or place, and she's pretty hot. That spells marketability. Anyhow, you know i'm rooting for 100lbs of t & a over 200lbs of robby gordon or tony stewart or whatever other brazilian clown they throw in a car... (not to mention, her car owner is david letterman.... that's press right htere)

Did i mention she's hot?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi....1.html?cnn=yes

She certainly is hot, but this is proof that Auto Racing is NOT a sport, but an activity like darts or bowling.

I would like to see her win or at least finish very well. she is a good driver and I think autoracing would benefit from it.

This is the first Indy race in 8 or 10 years that people will actually watch.

She certainly is hot, but this is proof that Auto Racing is NOT a sport, but an activity like darts or bowling.

347378[/snapback]

Who gives a sh--. Why do people always need to debate what's a sport and what isn't? In the end, everything is just entertainment created to break up our mundane lives. Enjoy it or don't.

Indy 500 speedway owner Tony George had a big hand in destroying the popularity of open wheel racing in the US. The CART series always had a somewhat small, but loyal fanbase and was suprisingly successful as a 2nd tier racing series up until Tony George decided to split from it to create the IRL. CART lost its big name race, the Indy 500, and fell into disarray once its stars began to retire and the younger drivers began to move onto other series with more visibility. Many of the old CART fans such as myself hate the IRL series for what it has done to US open wheel racing, and that's a big part of the reason the IRL has never even managed to achieve the success that CART was having a decade ago. The fact that the IRL is nothing more than a Nascar ripoff doesn't help, either. I liked the old road race circuits.

auto racing is a sport, period. It's a sport of endurance, stamina, upper and lower body strength, and hand-eye coordination. No, they don't run, tackle, skate, or play with a ball, but racers are the same atheletes as any other pro athelete.

Indy 500 speedway owner Tony George had a big hand in destroying the popularity of open wheel racing in the US.  The CART series always had a somewhat small,  but loyal fanbase and was suprisingly successful as a 2nd tier racing series up until Tony George decided to split from it to create the IRL.  CART lost its big name race,  the Indy 500, and fell into disarray once its stars began to retire and the younger drivers began to move onto other series with more visibility.  Many of the old CART fans such as myself hate the IRL series for what it has done to US open wheel racing,  and that's a big part of the reason the IRL has never even managed to achieve the success that CART was having a decade ago.  The fact that the IRL is nothing more than a Nascar ripoff doesn't help,  either.  I liked the old road race circuits.

347397[/snapback]

Ditto.

And as far as it being a demanding sport to anyone who thinks big sweaty guys make the only sports there are...try putting your butt inside of one of those things and go 500 miles at 220 mph inches apart pulling 4 g's everytime you turn.

Indy 500 speedway owner Tony George had a big hand in destroying the popularity of open wheel racing in the US.  The CART series always had a somewhat small,  but loyal fanbase and was suprisingly successful as a 2nd tier racing series up until Tony George decided to split from it to create the IRL.  CART lost its big name race,  the Indy 500, and fell into disarray once its stars began to retire and the younger drivers began to move onto other series with more visibility.  Many of the old CART fans such as myself hate the IRL series for what it has done to US open wheel racing,  and that's a big part of the reason the IRL has never even managed to achieve the success that CART was having a decade ago.  The fact that the IRL is nothing more than a Nascar ripoff doesn't help,  either.  I liked the old road race circuits.

347397[/snapback]

IMHO when 2 people of none equal physical ability can compete equally in tt is not a sport. Girls cannot competewith men in golf, track, swimming, soccer, etc but they can in archery, darts, bowling and autoracing, these IMHO are not sports and it has nothig to do with big sweaty men.

Tiger Woods and Danica Patrick are similar to me. The reason is, they both helped me remember why I never watch the sport they compete in. Before Woods, I never watched golf. Then I turned it on, watched for 15 mintes and said, This is Boring.

Patrick made me watch the Indy 500 for 15 minutes and said, This is boring.

Who cares if she is a hot girl, you cant even see her. If it was Tennis, Volleyball, Softball, or even womens golf I would watch, but if I cant see her, it wont make me or most guys watch. Put her in a see through car in a Bikini and I'll tune in once again.

Who gives a sh--. Why do people always need to debate what's a sport and what isn't? In the end, everything is just entertainment created to break up our mundane lives. Enjoy it or don't.

347382[/snapback]

exactly. i don't care what you call it, it's still great to me.

For any of you residents in Indianapolis who are sports fans but not necessarily race fans, today sucks. You spend the whole day not being able to watch the race because it is blacked out (there are far too many seats to sell at the track) so your curiosity over what you will be hearing about the next week at work makes hit refresh on espn.com every ten minutes. So the race ends up taking your whole day anyway. Yuck.

That being said, i hear it is really a sight to see. I have a bunch of buddies out there today with radio scanners and headphones so they can listen to each driver as they talk to their crew. Wish that worked at Bills games. "Dad, Clements told JP to hand the ball off on 3rd and twentyfour we can go to the bathroom because we will only be missing them punt"

I know two things this year though: danica patrick has a shot to actually win or place, and she's pretty hot. That spells marketability. Anyhow, you know i'm rooting for 100lbs of t & a over 200lbs of robby gordon or tony stewart or whatever other brazilian clown they throw in a car... (not to mention, her car owner is david letterman.... that's press right htere)

I really dig her, and not just cause she's pretty attractive. After the race, a female announcer asked her what it meant to be the first woman in history to lead in the Indy 500. Danica side-stepped the question just speaking of specifics of the race, her mistakes, stalling out, etc. Not getting the answer she wanted, the announcer re-worded the same question. Danica again responded without making the grandiose statement about the historic significance of her feat, etc., ala Halle Berry at the Oscars, the announcer wanted.

She just sees herself as another race car driver.

auto racing is a sport, period.  It's a sport of endurance, stamina, upper and lower body strength, and hand-eye coordination.  No, they don't run, tackle, skate, or play with a ball, but racers are the same atheletes as any other pro athelete.

347400[/snapback]

How ridiculous..

open wheel racing in america is not popular at all.  It has a very small following and quite frankly is more boring than nascar.  I'm a huge Formula One fan (imagine eurotrash driving road courses at 5am on a sunday...  that takes dedication and a season pass manager).  However, something about the Indy 500 makes me watch every year.  I know nothing about the newer racers.  All i know are the famous guys throughout the history of the race.  I know two things this year though:  danica patrick has a shot to actually win or place, and she's pretty hot.  That spells marketability.  Anyhow, you know i'm rooting for 100lbs of t & a over 200lbs of robby gordon or tony stewart or whatever other brazilian clown they throw in a car...  (not to mention, her car owner is david letterman....  that's press right htere)

Did i mention she's hot?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi....1.html?cnn=yes

347362[/snapback]

I'd service her muffler

I know two things this year though: danica patrick has a shot to actually win or place, and she's pretty hot. That spells marketability. Anyhow, you know i'm rooting for 100lbs of t & a over 200lbs of robby gordon or tony stewart or whatever other brazilian clown they throw in a car... (not to mention, her car owner is david letterman.... that's press right htere)

I really dig her, and not just cause she's pretty attractive. After the race, a female announcer asked her what it meant to be the first woman in history to lead in the Indy 500. Danica side-stepped the question just speaking of specifics of the race, her mistakes, stalling out, etc. Not getting the answer she wanted, the announcer re-worded the same question. Danica again responded without making the grandiose statement about the historic significance of her feat, etc., ala Halle Berry at the Oscars, the announcer wanted.

She just sees herself as another race car driver.

347531[/snapback]

Did you cry, or watch your danica patrick video library after her 4th place finish?

Did you cry, or watch your danica patrick video library after her 4th place finish?

347586[/snapback]

I didn't know who the hell she was before the last week with the media fawning all over her. During the race, the idiot announcer even compared her to Amelia Earhardt. I'm only saying that it is admirable that she didn't get carried away with all the media hype and, to the disappointment of the media, she doesn't seem to be the activist type who wears her gender on her sleeve.

I didn't know who the hell she was before the last week with the media fawning all over her.  During the race, the idiot announcer even compared her to Amelia Earhardt.  I'm only saying that it is admirable that she didn't get carried away with all the media hype and, to the disappointment of the media, she doesn't seem to be the activist type who wears her gender on her sleeve.

347594[/snapback]

I watched wrestlemania VII with a box of kleenex... The way the hulkster was able to get out of the camel clutch slapped on by the sarge... That was increadible.

I too am glad that she didn't pull the gender card. She raced a good race at the end. If it weren't for those rookie mistakes like stalling or that minor accident she had, the girl would have won the race.

I watched wrestlemania VII with a box of kleenex...  The way the hulkster was able to get out of the camel clutch slapped on by the sarge...  That was increadible.

I too am glad that she didn't pull the gender card.  She raced a good race at the end.  If it weren't for those rookie mistakes like stalling or that minor accident she had, the girl would have won the race.

347632[/snapback]

By half a lap. Rahal-Letterman put together a solid team and race car for her, too. she may have posed in a g-string, but she's the real deal on the track. I almost felt a little bad for the winner. You could tell that the crowd was "So what. Danica didn't win, let's get a beer". I don't know how many noticed, but from the inside cameras she was fighting the car a lot of the time. Looked like it had some pretty bad understeer. As a racing fan, I still shake my head and go holy sh**. People not interested in the sport don't appreciate what she was able to do as a rookie, with the added disadvantage of having all the pressure and media attention on her at 23. One could compare it to being the rookie QB in the Superbowl-which I hope we have occassion to witness this season...

And meanwhile, back at NASCAR-what a Demo-Derby last night. Booby Labonte was one unhappy dude. Dodge 600 miles of car wrecks to get beat by 6 inches.