GOAT debate related to era Montana vs Brady

Mikie2times

On 4/13/2023 at 12:07 AM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wow, I just had to interject when I read your post.  Did you even watch football back in the 80's and 90's bro?  It was a totally different game.  Sure Brady would have been good in any era.  But would he have dominated like he did in the 2000's?  Absolutely not.  No QB would have dominated in that era like they do now.  The game was way more violent then.  Defensive players could absolutely destroy QB's on every play.  And rarely was a penalty called for roughing the passer.  Go watch the hit that Jim Burt from the Giants put on Montana in the playoff game in 1986 I believe in the Meadowlands.  Burt hit Montana with his helmet under the chin running at full speed while Joe was about to throw.  No flag was even called.  And receivers were fair game all over the field by head hunting safeties.  That was football.  It was played like that at every level.  It was supposed to be a violent game.  Montana was amazing.  So was Brady.  But the game Montana played in was way more destructive then what is called pro football today.  

Its the same with the NHL.  I was talking w a big hockey fan recently.  He said the guys today are way more talented then in Gretzky's era.  I disagree.  But even if they are, are they constantly looking over their shoulder worried about getting splattered from behind head first into the boards by psychos like Ben Wilson and Scott Steven?  No comparison between today's NHL and the 70's, 80's and 90's.  It was roller derby with sticks.  What Gretzky accomplished in that era is the greatest accomplishment of any athlete of all time.  Period.  

To finish go watch the hit Bruce Smith put on Boomer Esiason playing for the Jets on the frozen Rich Stadium turf in the late 80's or early 90's.  Then tell me how Brady would have done taking shots like that every week.

I mentioned the hit on Montana by Jim Burt.  He didn't even get a penalty.  

As for Lebron.  He is a whiny B word.  I will take MIchael every day and twice on Sunday.  Guys just stand around the 3 pt arc and launch long range jumpers.  How is that athletic?

I get what you’re saying, but I have issues with what you’re saying. Yes the game was rougher, but they changed some rules because guys literally couldn’t walk, heads messed up, quality of life, etc were so messed up after they played. We’re the rule changes also because offense sells, yes, but I have a real issue with people saying that ripping a guy’s head off sunning over the middle is “football.” No it’s not. They play a kids game-nowhere in the spirit of the rules did it ever say rip a guys head off when he runs across the middle of the field even if he doesn’t have the ball. Rules got changed because there were so many blatant cheap shots.

And yes, players today are so much more talented today than they used to be. They better be, they train year round when. But you can’t tell me Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn would be playing in the current NBA-they’re “talent” was they had 6 fouls they could use every game. Look, I love Jordan, but to think he wouldn’t be as whiny as the current stars is not realistic. Jordan wasn’t a good dude-he openly complained to refs all the time, he tormented his own teammates, by all accounts he was a giant piece of crap, but he’s an amazing basketball player…it just wasn’t as well known because of no social media.

Again I get what you’re saying, but your statement and my counter is probably why it’s difficult I’ll to compare different eras 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks bud :) I also enjoy and love the game of football, its history, its other great players, etc and always have.  

Manning is a weird one for me...easily one of the greatest REGULAR season QB's of all time, but I am less enamored with his playoff resume.  I can never get past his NFL record of 9 one and dones in Indy.  Then there is the year he and the Broncos broke all the NFL passing and scoring records and he went on to get blown out by Russel Wilson and Seahawks 43-8 in the Super Bowl.  

So for me, if I had to pick between say someone like Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning in the playoffs, or even just the Super Bowl, I would not hesitate to take Kurt Warner every time.

Manning is without a doubt top 10 all time, but I can never personally get him into my top 5.  

There is one that was not talked about much in the thread Kurt Warner.  He kind of played in both eras, starting his career in 1999.  The greatest show on Turf was fun to watch.  He had great accuracy, quick release, and great leader.  Hard to believe the Cardinals were ever in a Super Bowl.  Who did they beat in NFC Championship Game that year?  Was it Green Bay?  He wasn't much of an athlete.  But a great passer of the football.  Not all time top 10.  But one of my all time favorites.  

The Super Bowl between Rams and Titans in January of 2000 was a classic. 

The history of football is amazing.  The history of any sport you have followed throughout your life is really fun to talk about.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.