Super Bowl LVII / 57 / Ell Vee Aye Aye POOLS!

Ridgewaycynic2013

Being retired, I no longer have been around workplace or gin mill settings where the ten by ten grids are popular.  Who are our 'high roller' participants?  Are you in any unique pools?  I recall years ago, one of the office girls ran one that had so many winners (by quarters, edge touch, corner touch) that maybe 3 people came away without winning something.  She also was a saint and paid out 100%.

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

I originally read that “she put out 100%”

Have some decorum! 🤨

😉😁

5 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I'm in a few.  Two for some bowling balls.   The regular $5, $10 $20 numbers change each quarter. Then one where the payout is every change of score. So a PAT being made would count.   Only 20 scores changes will be paid out

The 'change of every score' is a new one to me.  I seem to recall almost exclusively by quarters; a few by halftime and end of regulation time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/23/bizarre-kidnapping-case-tied-to-super-bowl-squares-pool

Figured this would be a good place to share this BIZARRE story.  This happened right here in WNY a couple years ago.  I didn't even know about this but this happened at one of my co-worker's Husbands company and she was telling us the story the other day.  Her husband was interviewed for this Sports Illustrated article.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

An interesting article!  Thank you for posting the link.

After reading the article, it reminds me of all the problems that those running the pools can have.  A coworker finally became frustrated with chasing other employees, and started skimming 10% off the top.  There were times when the game was over, and Tony was still chasing participants for their $10 fee, so he could pay out to the winners.  A few balked, and Tony finally quit running the pool.

Another coworker at a different plant ran a season long Bills pool.  Grid filled up before season opener, and you kept your square the whole season.  A ridiculously low price (4 squares for $1, I think.  Hey, it was the 80s!).  John always had someone not in the pool draw the week's numbers on the Friday before the game.  New masking tape, and "we're on to the next game!" 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.