Joe Buscaglia’s Early Thoughts on the Bills Needs Going Into 2023

JohnNord

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t consider taking an OT early in the draft - especially one that can also play G.

With Morse getting a bit long in the tooth, I would love to see a C in the draft who can play guard until Morse moves on.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Brown really had no strength training all last offseason due to a back problem.  He missed basically all of training camp, too.  He is young and really didn’t have a lot of experience coming out of college - he played all of one season and his school canceled the season before the draft because of COVID.

There is certainly no guarantee that he is the answer, but I would wait and see how he does next year after hopefully a full offseason of training before giving up on him.

That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t consider taking an OT early in the draft - especially one that can also play G.

I hear the Cover 1 guys hyping up Darnell Wright, the RT from Tennessee.   

He's a stud, but seems to be a strictly RT.  Not sure if that fits our philosophy of having guys we can move around, but having Dawkins at LT and Wright at RT playing at a high level for the next few years as bookends is enticing.  

Frees Brown up to be the swing tackle. developed more and OL6/TE3 in heavy packages.  

That being said.. Brown could absolutely be the answer.  He could also stay a liability.. But he is so raw, but so, so physically gifted.  There, at least, has to be a contingency in place, but I wouldn't be shocked if Spencer Brown makes a huge leap if he can get a full off-season in. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I hear the Cover 1 guys hyping up Darnell Wright, the RT from Tennessee.   

He's a stud, but seems to be a strictly RT.  Not sure if that fits our philosophy of having guys we can move around, but having Dawkins at LT and Wright at RT playing at a high level for the next few years as bookends is enticing.  

Frees Brown up to be the swing tackle. developed more and OL6/TE3 in heavy packages.  

That being said.. Brown could absolutely be the answer.  He could also stay a liability.. But he is so raw, but so, so physically gifted.  There, at least, has to be a contingency in place, but I wouldn't be shocked if Spencer Brown makes a huge leap if he can get a full off-season in. 

Wright could be a good pick, but not sure he can play G.  Someone like Syracuse's Matt Bergeron played T in college, but I think he also has played G.  There are other guys you could consider in such a scenario - like Cody Mauch who probably should be inside in the NFL, but might be able to survive at RT if needed.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Wright could be a good pick, but not sure he can play G.  Someone like Syracuse's Matt Bergeron played T in college, but I think he also has played G.  There are other guys you could consider in such a scenario - like Cody Mauch who probably should be inside in the NFL, but might be able to survive at RT if needed.

I have no interest in a guy who may be able to do this, or may be able to do that... positional flex bla bla... enough.. just give Josh Allen a good OL.  If that means taking a guy who's a slam dunk at RT, but only RT, so be it.  Spencer Brown can become the swing tackle and take on the Bobby Hart role in heavy personnel.  If that means signing/drafting a Guard high, just do it.  

If the biggest help Allen gets this off-season is a RD3 pick in OT Bergeron and us kicking him inside to cross train at Guard, I might lose it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

I have no interest in a guy who may be able to do this, or may be able to do that... positional flex bla bla... enough.. just give Josh Allen a good OL.  If that means taking a guy who's a slam dunk at RT, but only RT, so be it.  Spencer Brown can become the swing tackle and take on the Bobby Hart role in heavy personnel.  If that means signing/drafting a Guard high, just do it.  

If the biggest help Allen gets this off-season is a RD3 pick in OT Bergeron and us kicking him inside to cross train at Guard, I might lose it. 

I think Bergeron will be taken in the 2nd.  Just because a player can play two positions doesn’t mean that he isn’t good at both.  Bills look for position flexibility.  A lot of players play positions other than they played in college.  

On 2/6/2023 at 2:59 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I posted this elsewhere, but check out Roquan Smith's new deal for a decent framework of what Edmunds' deal will look like.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

$9M cap hit next year. Which would be a reduction for Edmunds from $12M this year. And a potential out after 3 years.

And regarding roles, while Edmunds doesnt rush the passer, what he does for us in the Pass game is almost irreplaceable (and I say this as a historical Edmunds detractor)

Git r dun.

If I could reply to this post with 100 pages of gifs of Edmunds getting pancaked in the Gatorade stand, I would.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.