Great and pretty brutal assessment of Bills’ talent by Chris Simms

dave mcbride

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am not advocating firing McDermott, btw. He is, after all, the only one of 12 who is a defensive coach who got to a championship game in the last 3 years. But the trend seems to be pretty clear to me.

If I'm Terry Pegula, I'd be considering that stat, and at the very least saying to myself, "If my goal was to win a title with a defensive-minded Head Coach, how in the h**l did our executive team (principally McDermott) think it was wise to deposit control of what seems to be the key facet of any successful team with a rookie???"

I don't care if it's 3 coordinators in 3 years - this team's chances nosedived as the offense slowly withered on the vine. Pushing all in on Ken Dorsey maturing into a competent - let alone preeminent - offensive coordinator by the time Josh Allen's eventual decline emerges is a humongous gamble.

In other words, if you're going to operate under a rather logical conclusion that offense matters, you HAVE to have an inscrutable executive running the offense, who can fend off McDermott's insecurities. So...

1) Can McDermott take a critical look at - and make - proper staff decisions on his own?

2) If he can't, will Pegula press the issue?

3) Would McDermott then be quicker to fall on his own sword than be forced into coaching changes?

I don't think McDermott needs to be fired, and it's hard for Ken Dorsey, but this situation is damned wrong for him to be OC. Sorry.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He's not wrong about the talent on the offensive side of the ball - the OL and skill players - not being comparable at all to the other remaining teams in the playoffs.

When he starts going off on how there's no (this player that player) on defense, I think he's missing that we lost Von Miller to injury and that we were playing without DaQuan Jones who has been key for us, and with Oliver and Phillips hampered.

And the Bengals were missing players too - they still blew our doors off. 

This team is soft. Paper tigers. They are mentally weak. When pressure hits, they crumble. 

I love Beane and McD - but they need to have a serious conversation on how they’re going to overcome this together. 

11 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

This team is soft. Paper tigers. They are mentally weak. When pressure hits, they crumble. 

I love Beane and McD - but they need to have a serious conversation on how they’re going to overcome this together. 

I think if I were a Bengals fan, I would 100% believe the Bills used the Hamlin situation to avoid that game.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am not advocating firing McDermott, btw. He is, after all, the only one of 12 who is a defensive coach who got to a championship game in the last 3 years. But the trend seems to be pretty clear to me.

I may be advocating for firing McD due to giving Josh a consistent voice/presence in the offensive Dept that will be lacking if OC after OC get hired away. Like Florio said. Every 2-3 years there will need to be adjustments made. Brady, Brees, Mahomes, now Burrow all had/have that consistency (Belichek had same OCs mostly no turnover).  

The idea of an Offensive Czar was thrown out there years ago right? Do that, if you value McD’s leadership. But you have to enable Josh ASAP as he won’t be in peak form forever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.