OLine/QB Unforced Error All 22- Week 18 Patriots

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 1

SAFFOLD - 1

MORSE - 1

BATES - 3

BROWN - 2

-DAWKINS - 73 was stout.. he and Saffold did miscommunicate on one stunt pickup.. but one-on-one Shnowman was reliable all day

- SAFFOLD - For the first time in weeks Roger had a solid game in pass pro. Other than the one miscommunication listed above he handled his one-on-one matchups very well.

- MORSE - Usual reliable self.. normal stat line. One pressure surrendered.. great work rest of snaps. 

-BATES - To my eye this was the first bad game in pass protect for Rick Bates this year. He gave up 3 pressures. He and Brown appeared to communicate with each other before a couple of stunts.. but Bates was late to switch on those. Of note.. Bates gave up a pressure on the Josh INT. In addition.. on the 60 yd bomb TD to Diggs Bates was beaten by DT #95 Ekalue .. who hit Josh just after he uncorked his bomb ( luckily he eased up).

- BROWN -  79 gave up a couple of pressures as usual. As usual he was beaten to the outside on speed moves. 

OL SUMMARY : The O Line certainly wasn't perfect... but good enough. It was a bit hard to judge the OL on Sunday (particularly the OTs) as Belichick was clearly calling for a "QB Contain Rush" rush on 5- 10 plays where the DE doesn't put in full effort to beat the OT. Its a classic running-QB defense where you coach the DEs not to overshoot too deep on the outside in their rush technique.. essentially they get even with QB and just hang out and set the edge to prevent rushing lanes. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 3 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

- q2 - Josh INT -  I'm calling this unforced even though Bates did give up a pressure on this one. Nevertheless, Allen had a mess going on around his knees/feet and should've either taken the sack or threw it away. Instead he threw a wounded duck, late, in the middle of the field.. in the red zone area that was picked off. 

-q2 - Overthrow to Davis in end zone. Protection was solid.. sailed over Davis post route in end zone ( maybe he was thinking about the game ender against Vikings in same spot/route.. and subconsciously over threw there?)

SUMMARY  -  The line was not a disaster. For the most part Allen made good decisions and did not bail out of clean pockets. He had a few reps where he actually climbed the pocket a little. As an offense they had the most trouble with the delayed blitzes and simple stunts. Allen handled the obvious all-out blitzes decisively and effectively for the most part. The running back pass pro (which is usually stout) was also sub par against NE. The "QB Contain Rush" strategy certainly limited Allen's rushing lanes and yards.. but it also gave him a few opportunities to sit back and find his late progressions with lasers

END OF YEAR O LINE PASS PRO GRADES:

DAWKINS - B-

SAFFOLD- D-

MORSE - B+

VAN ROTEN - C

BOETTGER - n/a

BATES - B+

QUESSENBERRY - C

BROWN - D-

• Thank you (+1) 10

8 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 3 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

- q2 - Josh INT -  I'm calling this unforced even though Bates did give up a pressure on this one. Nevertheless, Allen had a mess going on around his knees/feet and should've either taken the sack or threw it away. Instead he threw a wounded duck, late, in the middle of the field.. in the red zone area that was picked off. 

-q2 - Overthrow to Davis in end zone. Protection was solid.. sailed over Davis post route in end zone ( maybe he was thinking about the game ender against Vikings in same spot/route.. and subconsciously over threw there?)

But what was the third error?? 

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree on Saffold. He was partly at fault for each of the first two sacks. On the first (end of our 1st drive) his assignment looks like it is to chip to the left early, pass off and then play the delayed rusher and he ends up standing about blocking nobody while his Quarterback is chased around. 

On the second (end of our 3rd drive) it is Morse's man who gets the sack but Josh is flushed out by Saffold getting beaten like a drum to the inside FFS. 

He sucks. He has sucked all year. If they extend this guy I will insert a large garden gnome in Brandon Beane. And not in a nice way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

But what was the third error?? 

hah.. forgot to write down the specifics on that one. I believe it may have been Q1 throw that was behind Davis

Agree that Saffold sucks ( see D- grade for the year at end of post)

I

22 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 1

SAFFOLD - 1

MORSE - 1

BATES - 3

BROWN - 2

-DAWKINS - 73 was stout.. he and Saffold did miscommunicate on one stunt pickup.. but one-on-one Shnowman was reliable all day

- SAFFOLD - For the first time in weeks Roger had a solid game in pass pro. Other than the one miscommunication listed above he handled his one-on-one matchups very well.

- MORSE - Usual reliable self.. normal stat line. One pressure surrendered.. great work rest of snaps. 

-BATES - To my eye this was the first bad game in pass protect for Rick Bates this year. He gave up 3 pressures. He and Brown appeared to communicate with each other before a couple of stunts.. but Bates was late to switch on those. Of note.. Bates gave up a pressure on the Josh INT. In addition.. on the 60 yd bomb TD to Diggs Bates was beaten by DT #95 Ekalue .. who hit Josh just after he uncorked his bomb ( luckily he eased up).

- BROWN -  79 gave up a couple of pressures as usual. As usual he was beaten to the outside on speed moves. 

OL SUMMARY : The O Line certainly wasn't perfect... but good enough. It was a bit hard to judge the OL on Sunday (particularly the OTs) as Belichick was clearly calling for a "QB Contain Rush" rush on 5- 10 plays where the DE doesn't put in full effort to beat the OT. Its a classic running-QB defense where you coach the DEs not to overshoot too deep on the outside in their rush technique.. essentially they get even with QB and just hang out and set the edge to prevent rushing lanes. 

SUMMARY  -  The line was not a disaster. For the most part Allen made good decisions and did not bail out of clean pockets. He had a few reps where he actually climbed the pocket a little. As an offense they had the most trouble with the delayed blitzes and simple stunts. Allen handled the obvious all-out blitzes decisively and effectively for the most part. The running back pass pro (which is usually stout) was also sub par against NE. The "QB Contain Rush" strategy certainly limited Allen's rushing lanes and yards.. but it also gave him a few opportunities to sit back and find his late progressions with lasers

END OF YEAR O LINE PASS PRO GRADES:

DAWKINS - B-

SAFFOLD- D-

MORSE - B+

VAN ROTEN - C

BOETTGER - n/a

BATES - B+

QUESSENBERRY - C

BROWN - D-

That's great analysis.  Looking at your year end grades, we need help at LG and RT.  I think O line needs to be a priority in the upcoming draft and free agency.  I like Boettger.  I think he can replace Saffold.  And I don't think Brown is a starting caliber RT on a championship level team.  And depth needs to be better as well.  Quessenberry is trash.  Hopefully Doyle can come back and be useful next year.  He should be better then Q.  

Agree O Line needs to be priority in draft. McBeane and Co. have really done a miraculous job turning this franchise around, but If there is one area where they deserve criticism its O Line management.Cody Ford is the only O Lineman taken in Rd 1 or 2 by this regime in the last 6 years.   Morse was a great FA add.. but the cheap veteran stop gaps they've brought in ( Spain, Saffold, Van Roten etc....) have not panned out at all. 

Boettger is not a world beater.. but I do agree that he would be a good temporary upgrade over Saffold who has been an epic bust as a pass protector. 

Brown started off his rookie year with much promise.. but he just doesn't have the ability to get out in front of the outside speed rush. Maybe it's injuries catching up with him.. maybe its just the way he is. Either way he is clearly not an NFL starter. 

I agree that both RT and LG need to be priorities. If they draft either of those positions in rd 1 or 2 I'd be happy. Haven't started doing draft research yet and wont' as long as Bills are still alive in the playoffs. However, once they do get eliminated I'll be looking for good G / T prospects. 

if we were gonna spend some money at G this offseason...

31. OG BEN POWERS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Powers took a meteoric leap as a pass protector in 2022, with his 86.5 pass-blocking grade the second-best mark among guards this season. Powers allowed zero sacks and just one quarterback hit the entire year, playing in front of three different quarterbacks over the second half of the campaign. 

The 6-foot-4, 338-pound behemoth struggles a bit as a run blocker, but if he could do enough to get by in Baltimore, odds are he can hold up well enough elsewhere. 

32. OG ISAAC SEUMALO, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Seumalo entered 2022 with some uncertainty after missing a ton of time with injuries over the 2020-21 seasons, and after the Eagles used a second-round pick on interior offensive lineman Cam Jurgens, but Seumalo logged more than 1,000 snaps in 2022 and had a huge bounceback year, earning a career-best 75.2 overall grade. 

Seumalo was the model of consistency not just from a health standpoint, earning just one single-game grade below 60.0 on the season — and a 59.4 at that. Seumalo’s pass blocking from Week 11 on — protecting two very different quarterbacks in Jalen Hurts and Gardner Minshew — was nothing short of spectacular, earning a 90.4 mark with zero quarterback hits and pressure allowed on just 1.8% of pass-block snaps. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.