19 Class of 2023 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists announced

chongli

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good post.  They have the stats.  But were they ever the dominant player at their position?  You could make a similar argument for Moulds who if he played a little longer and had a better QB would be a fringe HOF guy too based on ability.  Wayne wasn't even his team's #1 WR for many years.  Johnson was probably more dominant but at the same time there were guys like Harrison, Moss, Megatron, and TO that were better.

I'd be fine if they voted either or both in the HOF but I wouldn't be outraged if either did not make it.   

Yeah, that's why I compared Andre Johnson to Moulds in my original post too. He has great numbers, despite playing without a great QB his entire career. I tend to agree with you on Wayne, but Johnson was pretty dominant at his position for years.

Remember, he had years with more receiving yards than guys like Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald, TO, Steve Smith, etc. while also having more receptions than guys like Wes Welker & Tony Gonzales. 2 x First-Team All-Pro, 2 x Second-Team All-Pro. But yeah, Wayne was often a number 2 guy who played with some of the best QB's of that time, so I understand the hesitancy there.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good post.  They have the stats.  But were they ever the dominant player at their position?  You could make a similar argument for Moulds who if he played a little longer and had a better QB would be a fringe HOF guy too based on ability.  Wayne wasn't even his team's #1 WR for many years.  Johnson was probably more dominant but at the same time there were guys like Harrison, Moss, Megatron, and TO that were better.

I'd be fine if they voted either or both in the HOF but I wouldn't be outraged if either did not make it.   

They were both great. They'll both get in eventually, and deservedly so. Receivers seem to have to wait a long time, though.

I don't expect to see any more Bills selected as modern era players in my life time.  We had a 20 year playoff drought and were known for mediocrity for the first two decades of the millenium.  There are Bills on the current team who will end up in the Hall of Fame, but most of them are relative youngsters with a number of years left in their careers.  After that there is a waiting period.  It is likely to be 10-15 years before any of the current crop of Bills stars get consideration for the hall of fame.  Maybe I'll be around for the early part of that period, but my odds of surviving another 15 years aren't great.  I'll try my best though.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think the following should be voted in:

Revis

Thomas

Hester

Coryell

Klecko

I would probably vote Allen in as well. 

I'm torn on Wayne and Johnson.  They are both in the Hall of the Very Good, just not sure they should be in the HOF.

No way. Andre Johnson was definitely elite and one of the top 2-3 WRs during his career. Only Calvin Johnson was better IMO, but you can make the case for a couple others as 2nd best. If you are top 5 at your position the majority of your career you are not just “very good.” With all due respect. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.