OT: In praise of the NFL's good guys

Success

Because there are more of them.  The big headlines that players & coaches get (when it's not related to a game) are usually the bad behavior, and we see quite a bit of that.

But it's very true that the media prefers to cover the worst.  I knew very little about Hamlin, aside from his being a Bill, and his play on the field.  What a great person, with a great attitude.  Feeling so grateful for his opportunity, and wanting to make the most of it not just for himself, but to help his community and give back. And there are tons of these guys throughout the NFL and all of sports. Just quietly helping others - not grabbing headlines with it, but improving lives.

And then guys like Higgins & Taylor & the rest of the Bengals, putting everything THEY have worked for aside in a second, because they put someone's welfare above that.  And we've seen nothing but support and caring throughout the NFL.

Probably a sappy thread - but there is really way more good in the league than bad.  It deserves some recognition & praise.

• Like (+1) 4

Yep, the outpouring from other NFL players is what gets me. Not only the Bengals… Just so much love and generosity from every corner of the league.

Sauce Garder put out a tweet earlier. He’s asking anyone to hook him up with a Hamlin jersey, he wants to wear it during warm ups this Sunday at his game.  I mean, as a Jets player i really didn’t like that guy and now i have no choice but to think he’s a really great dude. I didn’t expect that.  Lots of examples like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the majority of people are "good people".  NFL players for the most part have done an excellent job at fostering their "athletic ability" (which extends beyond physical traits).  Seems reasonable to theorize that as they have excelled at making the most of their talents in their chosen profession, that that ability would also extend in fostering their "goodness".

Yes, there certainly are a few bad apples, but I think they're outnumbered by those that one would consider go above & beyond to be a benefit to society.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eSJayDee said:

I think the majority of people are "good people".  NFL players for the most part have done an excellent job at fostering their "athletic ability" (which extends beyond physical traits).  Seems reasonable to theorize that as they have excelled at making the most of their talents in their chosen profession, that that ability would also extend in fostering their "goodness".

Yes, there certainly are a few bad apples, but I think they're outnumbered by those that one would consider go above & beyond to be a benefit to society.

I wish the media would realize that people want good stories and not constant negativity and partially manufactured conflict. There are so many good untold stories about nfl players, let’s hear more of them. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I wish the media would realize that people want good stories and not constant negativity and partially manufactured conflict. There are so many good untold stories about nfl players, let’s hear more of them. 

Right, like I knew way more about Damon Arnette because of his jackassery than I did about our own rock solid young DB and his good deeds.

4 hours ago, Success said:

Because there are more of them.  The big headlines that players & coaches get (when it's not related to a game) are usually the bad behavior, and we see quite a bit of that.

But it's very true that the media prefers to cover the worst.  I knew very little about Hamlin, aside from his being a Bill, and his play on the field.  What a great person, with a great attitude.  Feeling so grateful for his opportunity, and wanting to make the most of it not just for himself, but to help his community and give back. And there are tons of these guys throughout the NFL and all of sports. Just quietly helping others - not grabbing headlines with it, but improving lives.

And then guys like Higgins & Taylor & the rest of the Bengals, putting everything THEY have worked for aside in a second, because they put someone's welfare above that.  And we've seen nothing but support and caring throughout the NFL.

Probably a sappy thread - but there is really way more good in the league than bad.  It deserves some recognition & praise.

Where did you get this idea about success?  👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.