Players retiring ???

Snappysnackcakes

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

What has changed? If players didn't know by now that concussions happen in football, they never will. The Hamlin incident is an extremely rare freak incident that could just as easily have happened at a pickup basketball game, playing with your kids, working around the house whatever.

Football has never been a game for soft people. Injuries, sometimes lifelong, are a big part of the game. None of this is new, and it's part of what you sign up for. It doesn't make it easy to handle when it happens, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last that someone gets critically injured. If this wasn't a game played at a high intensity with the chance for significant injury, there wouldn't be an audience - at least not an audience that's any bigger that the AFFL.

I agree all players know that football is violent & that the money they can make doing it truly can't be matched at any other job they can ever have in a normal position in life so there will always be those that sign up to play this game .

Plus in Hamlins case could there have been a underlying issue with him that helped to cause this to happen the way it did because the hit it self didn't look that hard i think we have all seen players take bigger hits & walk away . 

I just hope he is okay and can resume a normal life after football because if it was me i don't know that i would play another down in the NFL if i was him !! 

This incident had nothing to do with the inherent violence of the sport. 

In the Olympics a couple of years ago Christian Erickson collapsed on the soccer field from a heart attack. He was standing all by himself. In front of an huge international television audience they administered all the same treatment on him and suspended the match. Nobody retired. Erickson is actually playing again. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

Didn't hear anyone talking about this but the NFL needs to make it a priority to have a comprehensive check on every players' heart. 

Players are already poked and prodded as part of the combine experience.  They occasionally catch previously-undiagnosed issues.  It's rare, but of course heart ailments among professional athletes are also quite rare.

Regardless, I don't know that there was anything wrong with Hamlin's heart.  My understanding is that this sort of thing could happen to anybody.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This incident had nothing to do with the inherent violence of the sport. 

In the Olympics a couple of years ago Christian Erickson collapsed on the soccer field from a heart attack. He was standing all by himself. In front of an huge international television audience they administered all the same treatment on him and suspended the match. Nobody retired. Erickson is actually playing again. 

But people just love to say what others should do with their lives. I never knew Mitch Morse had so many parents and they are all this board!

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.