Continuing yards after catch (YAC) mystery

Inigo Montoya

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It's crazy to me that the Bills pass catchers continue to rank so low on yards after catch.  It clearly isn't slowing the 12-3 offense down too much, I'm just not sure how to explain it.  We have an elite QB and solid receivers.  The Bills' offense struggled with YAC last season and I remember Josh said it was a point of emphasis for him this last off-season when he was working with Jordan Palmer, working on ball placement to allow his pass catchers to increase their YAC.  

To provide some context, the Chiefs are 1st in YAC, the Bills are 24th.  Austin Ekeler is 1st in YAC, Kelce is 2nd, Jefferson is 3rd.  Hill and Waddle are 7th and 8t.  Diggs is 23rd, Singletary is 60th, Knox is 99th, and Gabe Davis is 133rd in YAC.  Is it just the style of the offense we've been running, the types of routes being run, or how Josh is getting the ball in there?   Do the Bills have more sideline / out cutting routes than is typical?   Has anyone noticed some tendencies of the Bills' offense that can explain it?   For whatever reason, improved YAC hasn't happened this year.

The offense is still getting the job done and this isn't a post to be critical of the Bills offense.  As long as Josh and Co. keep stacking wins I don't care how they do it.  It's more of a technical question about how the Bills 7th ranked passing offense can also be 24th in YAC?  It seems a bit of an anomaly.

YAC is tied to a short passing game and a receiver making a move to elude tacklers or hitting soft spots in zones under 15 yards. Or doing screen plays or short near line pass plays.

YACs generally isn’t tied to bomb passing plays like Davis did against Steelers.

remember you don’t get YACs if you throw it into the end zone.

Edited by djp14150

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I have felt like that too. I hear people say that the offense is largely the same.  Beasley said something like that when he got signed.  Yet, the offense does not look the same to me.  I dont study film or anything but it just not seem the same to me.

I have looked at some breakdowns and Dorsey is scheming up crossers and rub plays, but often the execution and timing is just slightly off.

It is taking some time for this offense to come together and Allen makes it a bit hard to judge where it is at.

He does so much off schedule both amazing things and some bad that it is hard to tell exactly what Dorsey us trying to scheme up at times.

I understand that Allen just has to create on the fly sometimes when pass protection breaks down or everything is covered.

I liked the adjustments he made last game when it was clear the ball was slick and the wind gust made passing difficult and Chicago could not stop our runs.

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I feel this has been hashed over many times

Josh Allen and this offense is not a rhythm based attack… YAC Is typically designed on rhythm throws and drawn up designs … screens.. pick plays

Josh is a thrower of the football … he wants AIR YARDS… he wants to push the ball downfield and make you respect his arm… he throws to the boundary … 

most YAC plays are designed within 10 yards of the LoS… our offense thrives 15-20 yards downfield where the windows are tighter and the separation is less

You get Less YAC when you are throwing dimes 30 yards to the corner of the sideline

You've described what the Bills are.........but I don't blame it on Josh Allen just wanting to throw deep.

If they were worst in YAC and Allen was at the top of air yards per attempt that would be more supportive of it being an Allen problem.

He's not.   Allen is 9th in air yards per attempt.

Lot's of QB's with much higher YAC production and higher AYA.

The Bills receiving targets are the dynamic Stef Diggs........and 3 athletes with hard hands........Davis, Knox and McKenzie.

Think back to the opener against the Rams.........Allen was getting back quick and getting the ball out in rhythm........I think that's what Dorsey would like to be able to do.    

But you can't make a living throwing bullets over the middle to ham handed double-catchers, clap-catchers or tiny trampoline padded body catchers as receiving options.........the risk isn't worth the gain.

IMO that's the primary reason why they throw the ball where they do.

My question is have defense's caught on and are baiting Allen into taking the cheese what look like the easy windows they try to live in?

There has been an absolute RASH of situations lately where a defender has oh-so-headily drifted from his position into what looks to Allen to be a wide open passing window.    Seems to be happening every game now.

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.