Want to fix the RedZone issues? Run QB Power when at the 10 yard line or inside once per series

Big Turk

I am unsure where this staple of the Bills RZ package has gone under Dorsey.  It was highly effective and Allen would rarely get touched on the play. So many scoring drives ended over the 4 years he was here with this play, and yet not only do we not run it in the RZ anymore under Dorsey, we barely run it at all.  I can only remember 3 or 4 times this year where we have run it.

So the easiest fix to the RZ issues plaguing this team is to simply go back to basics and a play that is nearly indefensible down there.  QB Power.

And all you "Nervous Nellies" when it comes to injuries don't worry...he hardly gets touched on them...either he scores or he runs out of bounds.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I am unsure where this staple of the Bills RZ package has gone under Daboll.  It was highly effective and Allen would rarely get touched on the play. So many scoring drives ended over the 4 years he was here with this play, and yet not only do we not run it in the RZ anymore under Dorsey, we barely run it at all.  I can only remember 3 or 4 times this year where we have run it.

So the easiest fix to the RZ issues plaguing this team is to simply go back to basics and a play that is nearly indefensible down there.  QB Power.

Power or Pin & Pull? Daboll used to run Q pin & pull a lot down there. Shoot run all of it - Q Power and Q Counter to get some misdirection and mix in some Q pin & pull as well.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I am unsure where this staple of the Bills RZ package has gone under Daboll.  It was highly effective and Allen would rarely get touched on the play. So many scoring drives ended over the 4 years he was here with this play, and yet not only do we not run it in the RZ anymore under Dorsey, we barely run it at all.  I can only remember 3 or 4 times this year where we have run it.

And all you "Nervous Nellies" when it comes to injuries don't worry...he hardly gets touched on them...either he scores or he runs out of bounds

I think this play works so well for the Bills for a number of reasons, not the least of which one of the few things our lineman do well is run block while pulling. 

I don't know why we go away from pin and pull plays after it works so well, back to rpo zone blocking with hand offs from shotgun to a stationary RB. Those plays never work. 

Counters, sweeps, misdirections with pulling lineman unlock our running game. Why can't we do it in short yardage as well? 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Power or Pin & Pull? Daboll used to run Q pin & pull a lot down there. Shoot run all of it - Q Power and Q Counter to get some misdirection and mix in some Q pin & pull as well.

Any of the Allen edge runs will work there...Seahawk clip I posted is a perfect example of it...basically walks into the endzone untouched.

It's like Dorsey has a bank account with a million dollars in it but is trying to scrounge up money from in between the couch cushions to pay for the pizza he ordered.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Any of the Allen edge runs will work there...Seahawk clip I posted is a perfect example of it...basically walks into the endzone untouched.

It's like Dorsey has a bank account with a million dollars in it but is trying to scrounge up money from in between the couch cushions to pay for the pizza he ordered.

Yeah, that's pin & pull. We've seen it some thing year. Dorsey seems to like naked bootlegs a lot more in those short yardage situations which allow Allen to have a two way go (throw or pull it down and run). Obviously that doesn't work within the 10 though. I'm all in for QB run game - guarantees you're +1 in the box - should be yards every time.

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think this play works so well for the Bills for a number of reasons, not the least of which one of the few things our lineman do well is run block while pulling. 

I don't know why we go away from pin and pull plays after it works so well, back to rpo zone blocking with hand offs from shotgun to a stationary RB. Those plays never work. 

Counters, sweeps, misdirections with pulling lineman unlock our running game. Why can't we do it in short yardage as well? 

Nailed it.   Daboll may have gotten similar results in terms of rankings, but what he did so well was giving you multiple results out of the same look.   He had four or five different calls out of the jet sweep look to McKenzie.    Need to start doing a bit more of that.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Nailed it.   Daboll may have gotten similar results in terms of rankings, but what he did so well was giving you multiple results out of the same look.   He had four or five different calls out of the jet sweep look to McKenzie.    Need to start doing a bit more of that.  

Yep - jet sweeps can function as the pin block too.  

34 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Yeah, that's pin & pull. We've seen it some thing year. Dorsey seems to like naked bootlegs a lot more in those short yardage situations which allow Allen to have a two way go (throw or pull it down and run). Obviously that doesn't work within the 10 though. I'm all in for QB run game - guarantees you're +1 in the box - should be yards every time.

Dawkins and Doyle both had TDs in a PA naked bootleg.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.