Is Tom Brady the best QB in the NFL?

Simon

Last year's Tennessee Titans and Carolina Panthers teams wave hello to your asinine statement.

25505[/snapback]

Neither defense was elite last year. Good? Sure. But elite to the point where the original poster's comment could be considered "asinine"? Uh, no.

Their respective 2003 rankings wave back enthusiastically!

That said, Brady is a rock solid QB.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady has been the best in the AFC for a couple of years already. It's not about physical tools, it's headiness and efficiency. Montana had an adequate arm at best, his brain was way ahead of his contemporaries.

I still think the Bills can beat the Pats. The Niners under Montana were not invincible.

It's the O-Line not Brady. They give him just enough time to get rid of the ball. Sure he got hit a few times but he always has just that extra little bit of time to get rid of the ball. By the way, the Colts DB's suck in a big, big way.

It's the O-Line not Brady. They give him just enough time to get rid of the ball. Sure he got hit a few times but he always has just that extra little bit of time to get rid of the ball. By the way, the Colts DB's suck in a big, big way.

25570[/snapback]

How can you say this?

The Pats shuffle in OL after OL, undrafted free agent after undrafted free agent, and don't miss a beat. Why? Good coaching of the OL perhaps but do you ever watch Brady in the pocket? He has a 6th sense for the pressure and, like Marino in the past, is able to properly step aside at the last moment in order to make the pass. Most other QB's get sacked on these plays and blame is placed on the OL. This should sound familiar to many of us in here.

As well, Brady has to be one of the quickest and fastest processors of information in the game. The guy drops back, reads the defense and delivers the ball faster than anyone in the game. Having this great skill makes even average OL look great.

It's these intangible things that most people don't see as obvious about Brady and how he makes his OL appear to be much better than they truly are.

If we could somehow put Drew behind the Pats OL I have no doubt that he'd get sacked galore just like he does behind our OL now. Conversely, if we could translant Brady onto our team, our OL would improve exponentially.

25570[/snapback]

Of course, the fact that he... you know, actually does get rid of the ball (instead of pat...pat...shuffle...shake...) doesn't count for you, does it? :unsure:

25570[/snapback]

I think you need to rewatch the game, even when he was getting pressure Brady was dead on. Whether he was scrambling or in the pocket. The only time he made bad throws were when someone was right up in his face and he couldn't step into it.

I was mocking him and giving making excuses for the past two years, but after watching him last night, I have to give him his props.

This is the unquestioned leader for the today's "Most Moronic Post" award... congratulations!!!  :w00t:

25515[/snapback]

This coming from someone that has to visit another team's msg board... :unsure:

Having lived in the New England area for a few years, I laugh when a Patriots fan calls anyone moronic. Anyone who drops their R's only to add them to other words should never, ever question anyone's intelligence. You don't talk like that? Good for you! You're in the minority up there.

Here's an idear, if you're going to claim him to be the #1 QB based upon playing a Colts defense, then you're the idiot. We didn't see the flurry of posts claiming him to be so hot before the game. I've seen what a defense that can get past their OL do to this overrated shmuck (i.e., last year's opener). Remember what happened in 2002 when they tried to be cute and be pass-happy? They lost 4 in a row. Funny how people forget such things.

If you love the guy so much, why don't you join his fan club:

www.absolutebrady.com

Have fun! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I would say Brady is definatley one of the best in the league, but his OL is without a doubt one of the main reasons this is so.

He has more time to throw in the pocket than anyone else in the league. I don't know if it is the Lineman, the coaching, or the system....but it is not ONLY Brady.

I take absolutely nothng away from how good Brady is proving himself to be. On the few plays where the OL doesn't stuff the D, he moves around well in the pocket to avoid the rush. Also, he very rarely makes bad decisions. I think if you gave Manning as much time as Brady, Brady would still be the better overall QB. Manning tries to throw too many impossbile passes, and doesn't have the reaction time that Brady has.

One other thing I have to say about the Pats....Their recievers just catch the damn ball! Every damn one of em! In my opinion they don't have one "star" on the team. No Moulds, no Owens, no Moss...etc

But every damn one of em can catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Give Brady 6-8 sec to throw the ball, he will find the open guy, and they will catch the ball. With Corey Dillon in the backfield keeping Defenses honest, this team is going to be really tough to stop.

That said, thier defense looks to have taken a step back. A good ball control offense (something the Colts never seem to be able to employ for a full game) will be able to move the ball on the Pats. As good as the O looks, I think the Bills will match up well. We have better DB's than Indy. The only thing that will kill us is turnovers. We need Henry and WM to hold onto the ball, and Bledsoe NEEDS to make quick, simple decisions! 5-10 yard strikes and a solid running game, we will be in it till the end.

This coming from someone that has to visit another team's msg board...  :unsure:

Having lived in the New England area for a few years, I laugh when a Patriots fan calls anyone moronic.  Anyone who drops their R's only to add them to other words should never, ever question anyone's intelligence.  You don't talk like that?  Good for you!  You're in the minority up there.

Here's an idear, if you're going to claim him to be the #1 QB based upon playing a Colts defense, then you're the idiot.  We didn't see the flurry of posts claiming him to be so hot before the game.  I've seen what a defense that can get past their OL do to this overrated shmuck (i.e., last year's opener).  Remember what happened in 2002 when they tried to be cute and be pass-happy?  They lost 4 in a row.  Funny how people forget such things.

If you love the guy so much, why don't you join his fan club:

www.absolutebrady.com

Have fun!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

25627[/snapback]

Verbose bitterness is my favorite kind! :w00t:

I feel the need to chime in here. Let me preface this by saying that the mere mentioning of Tom Brady's name has always made me want to puke. I like Tom Brady about as much as I like a good enema.

Last night I finally saw through this venom and began to appreciate just how good he is. As was pointed out here earlier, this wasn't a dink-and-dunk offense. He was threading passes in the 10-20 yard range with ease. Finding the second and third receivers quickly and accurately. The second and third quarters of last night's game were a clinic. Granted, he had some excellent protection, and most of his receivers didn't have a defender within 5 yards of them, but even when they did he put the ball right on the money. Their third down conversion rate, no matter how many yards they had to make, seemed like it was 100%.

But as I said in another thread, before I and everybody else get on our knees for this guy, I will add that in crunch time last night, Brady did a hell of a lot to try and lose that game all by himself. The pick down the middle (maybe not his fault, whatever), the sack and fumble with time waning (lucky stevestojan had someone right there to recover), and the third down pass in his own territory that should have been an easy pick...

Yes, he did make some crucial third down conversions in the fourth quarter, but by all means Indy should have taken that one, and if they did a lot of the burden would have fallen on Brady for that less-than-stellar performance in crunch time.

Another thing about the Pats OL.

Last night the Pats rotated their OL like they rotate their WR's. Klemm played for Light at LT for a series of plays and then played for Ashworth at RT later on. Neal and Hochstein rotated constantly and Andruzzi played LG as much as he played RG. The only constant on the Pats OL last night was their OC Koppen.

So it seems as though the Pats can throw just about any Tom, Dick or Harry in on the OL and Brady never seems to miss a beat.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason is because of Brady.

You can make the argument that Brady struggled late in the game, absolutely. The fumble that Dillon recovered was shades of 'ol #11 to be sure.

But if you've watched any NE football at all, you can't say he isn't at his best when the heat is on.

17-1 in games decided by 6 pts or less.

6-0 in playoffs

5-0 in overtime

Manning's Statue-esque performance trumped any shortcomings in Brady's game last night. When the chips are down, so is Tin Manning.

What remains to be seen is if he will be a "Kurt Warner" one of the best in the NFL (best for 3-4 years) or a Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, John Elway type (best for 10 years).

25653[/snapback]

Brady has excelled thus far with a bunch of undrafted free agents for OL, no name WR's, a TE named Fauria, and a chump named Antowain as his RB. 2 SB's wins in 3 years with these guys helping him out.

Now he's got a stud RB, two excellent looking TE's, a what looks like 5 excellent WR's all at his disposal. Brady's probably likcing his chops at the thoughts of having these guys now available and ready to produce.

You can make the argument that Brady struggled late in the game, absolutely.  The fumble that Dillon recovered was shades of 'ol #11 to be sure.

But if you've watched any NE football at all, you can't say he isn't at his best when the heat is on.

25652[/snapback]

I wasn't drawing any conclusions about his crunch-time performance in general (which is solid), just that while he did play an excellent game yesterday, he could easily have been slammed as badly as Manning is being slammed had the Dolts not blundered that one away.

Manning's Statue-esque performance trumped any shortcomings in Brady's game last night.  When the chips are down, so is Tin Manning.

25652[/snapback]

I'm one of those that does not feel Manning choked in that game. Manning choked as much as Brady did, although you could give Manning the slight edge based on the INT at the 1. In my mind, Edge lost that game for them.

I wasn't drawing any conclusions about his crunch-time performance in general (which is solid), just that while he did play an excellent game yesterday, he could easily have been slammed as badly as Manning is being slammed had the Dolts not blundered that one away.

I'm one of those that does not feel Manning choked in that game. Manning choked as much as Brady did, although you could give Manning the slight edge based on the INT at the 1. In my mind, Edge lost that game for them.

25663[/snapback]

Taking a sack on the last offensive play is inexcuseable. The FG went from ~34 yards to 48 yards on a windy night - there's your game.

Taking a sack on the last offensive play is inexcuseable.  The FG went from ~34 yards to 48 yards on a windy night - there's your game.

25673[/snapback]

Sure it is, I won't argue that...but so is taking a sack and fumbling the ball in your own territory with under two minutes left and a three-point lead. And then throwing what should have been an easy INT.

Sure it is, I won't argue that...but so is taking a sack and fumbling the ball in your own territory with under two minutes left and a three-point lead. And then throwing what should have been an easy INT.

25693[/snapback]

I don't remember that one - can you refresh my memory?