Allen is the Bills only short yardage option

Inigo Montoya

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why it is slightly odd that they have hire Kromer to come back and run the zone scheme again. It is like they are obsessed with it and even though the gap scheme worked better for us they immediately binned that in the offseason to go back to zone blocking. 

Coaches can get caught in the, square peg, round hole thing. It’s prevalent league wide. It is odd to me that while Kromer preaches the “ every player is different” and is to be taught different techniques as to their body make up, so why is he so wed to a scheme that so obviously doesn’t work???, wish I had an answer. Kromer and Dorsey need to have a sit down and figure this out asap, jmo. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't really know, obviously, but it seems to me they changed personnel and method late in the season last year. Oline play demonstrably improved and so did the run game. So, I take from that McD is willing to make a midseason change. Maybe they think the current strategy will improve with reps, though I am skeptical. Of course, what would really help is more talent on the oline. I hope it is a priority next year, though probably they'll be looking at safety in the first round knowing their proclivities.

I guess they thought bringing Kromer back was the key to opening up the running game this season. They had a lot of people convinced this season was going to be different than the past several season's struggles.  Seems like just more of the same at this point.  It will always be difficult for any team that doesn't at least have the threat of a running game to go far in this league.  Yes, we have JA17, but a competent running game would not only take pressure off of him, but it would also open up his throwing lanes and create more opportunities for our receivers to get open.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why it is slightly odd that they have hire Kromer to come back and run the zone scheme again. It is like they are obsessed with it and even though the gap scheme worked better for us they immediately binned that in the offseason to go back to zone blocking. 

From a defensive perspective it's a tough scheme to stop if you master it because it's designed to have natural cutbacks. Essentially there's three different gaps the ball could end up hitting at. Gap scheme stuff essentially telegraphs where you're trying to go with the football and is simpler as far as conceptually to defend because you can manipulate blocks easier through stunting/blitzing. Zone schemes are designed to allow you to do all the movement/stunting you want and have an answer for it while also still providing three different gaps for the ball to hit in.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

From a defensive perspective it's a tough scheme to stop if you master it because it's designed to have natural cutbacks. Essentially there's three different gaps the ball could end up hitting at. Gap scheme stuff essentially telegraphs where you're trying to go with the football and is simpler as far as conceptually to defend because you can manipulate blocks easier through stunting/blitzing. Zone schemes are designed to allow you to do all the movement/stunting you want and have an answer for it while also still providing three different gaps for the ball to hit in.

Even with the zone scheme though, you have a OL that gets a push up front and you have a back that's very quickly hitting one of those gaps because the zone schemes aren't designed to have big holes opened for what it a relatively longer period of time in a gap scheme.

It seems as though it takes our running plays a long time to develop and there's just not anything there for the rb.  Under previous regimes where we were able to run, you see the backs hitting the hole and getting through it into the next level of the defense very quickly.  Just doesn't seem to be the case under current leadership.

On 10/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, FilthyBeast said:

Agree but it's not sustainable because of the injury risk and predictability factor.

Still think Singletary can be a short yardage work horse if they give up this whole Zack Moss power back fantasy.

Also why not give Gilliam the ball on 3rd or 4th and short? He seems like he could be a viable option there as well.

I would like to see if Gilliam can be a short yardage ball carrier 

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

They did it for the 1st down that led to the FG for the win in Bal, so I don't know why they don't.  Josh is a big, tall guy.  I don't know why they don't think he can pick up a yard in goal line situations.  Run it back to back to back plays if you have to.  Stopping that play from getting a yard multiple times is a tall order for any defense.

Especially when they turn a 1 yard play to a five yard play when they hand off in the backfield hoping . Just like Brady did it to us a million times. Line up under center and go. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.