Brandon Beane Consults with Bill Parcells?

JohnNord

24 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I refer drafting for need as doing it in every round, not one or 2 rounds especially later in drafts. I'm sure every gm as the draft goes on will take at least one guy they need. But you can't say he drafts for need if it's 1 or 2 rounds because drafting for need would imply he does it all rounds, especially if those needs are 6th and 7th round draft picks. Those picks are crap shoots anyway. That's a time of the draft where best player available won't matter as much

"I refer drafting for need as doing it in every round"

That's interesting because, like I said, nobody in the NFL does that.

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

"I refer drafting for need as doing it in every round"

That's interesting because, like I said, nobody in the NFL does that.

Ok, let me say most rounds. Nit necessarily every round. It's just not a correct statement to say "he drafts for need" when 5 out of 7 rounds, he doesn't". If majority of rounds is best player available then he is not a "need drafting gm" for the most part 

Edited by Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok, let me say most rounds. Nit necessarily every round. It's just not a correct statement to say "he drafts for need" when 5 out of 7 rounds, he doesn't". If majority of rounds is best player available then he is not a "need drafting gm" for the most part 

What would be correct is "Beane sometimes drafts for need." 

What is almost certainly untrue is "Beane never drafts for need."

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What would be correct is "Beane sometimes drafts for need." 

What is almost certainly untrue is "Beane never drafts for need."

I never said he never drafts for need based on my definition of what drafting for need is, and the rounds that the players are taken in. But yes, every GM on the planet takes a need player here and there in the draft. But you don't get good by constantly taking need over bpa in early parts of drafts every year

Edited by Buffalo03

On 9/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane doesn't draft for need?

On 9/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, Buffalo03 said:

He drafts best player available and if that happens to be a need, he will trade up for the player. Just like he did with Elam

On 9/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, FireChans said:

Do you find it curious that in 2020 and 2021 our biggest need was pass rusher and we drafted 3 DE’s in the top 3 rounds?

Or that in 2022 our biggest need was CB and we got one in the first? 

Or that our weakest offensive skill position has been RB and we have drafted 3 of them in the top 3 rounds over the last 4 years?

The strategy is easy. Executing it is not.

31 GMs HAVE to fail every year. Everyone can’t win the Super Bowl lol

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I never said he never drafts for need based on my definition of what drafting for need is, and the rounds that the players are taken in. But yes, every GM on the planet takes a need player here and there in the draft. But you don't get good by constantly taking need over bpa in early parts of drafts every year

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I know what I meant, I didn't explain  it the right way. Have you never said something but maybe didn't say it the way you should or left things out? I never meant he never drafts for need, just that he is a more bpa drafting GM. Yes, Beane will draft for a need here and there. 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If those those need players were more early round picks, I would moreso agree. I did also acknowledge that 2021 was more of a need based draft

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I know what I meant, I didn't explain  it the right way. Have you never said something but maybe didn't say it the way you should or left things out? I never meant he never drafts for need, just that he is a more bpa drafting GM. Yes, Beane will draft for a need here and there. 

If those those need players were more early round picks, I would moreso agree. I did also acknowledge that 2021 was more of a need based draft

He drafts for need. Sometimes. Period. Lol

Just now, FireChans said:

He drafts for need. Sometimes. Period. Lol

Never said he didn't. Every GM does but some do it in earlier rounds. But to me it's irrelevant if those need players are later round draft picks because there are no differences in bpa and need at that point is what I'm saying. 

51 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Never said he didn't. Every GM does but some do it in earlier rounds. But to me it's irrelevant if those need players are later round draft picks because there are no differences in bpa and need at that point is what I'm saying. 

They are usually our top picks.

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

They are usually our top picks.

They were in 2021 but not in most drafts. We didn't need Harrison Phillips. We didn't need Ed Oliver, Singletary or Knox, we didn't need James Cook or Terrell Bernard. Outside of Allen, Edmunds and the picks in 2021, they are not usually our top picks

Edited by Buffalo03

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

They were in 2021 but not in most drafts. We didn't need Harrison Phillips. We didn't need Ed Oliver, Singletary or Knox, we didn't need James Cook or Terrell Bernard. Outside of Allen, Edmunds and the picks in 2021, they are not usually our top picks

We did need Ed Oliver. We did need Singletary (McCoy was effectively toast). We did need Knox (he started 11 games as a rookie). 

We needed DE help. AJE, Greg Roussea, Boogie Basham. We needed CB help. Elam.

At this point you’re just trying to split hairs.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

We did need Ed Oliver. We did need Singletary (McCoy was effectively toast). We did need Knox (he started 11 games as a rookie). 

We needed DE help. AJE, Greg Roussea, Boogie Basham. We needed CB help. Elam.

At this point you’re just trying to split hairs.

I'm not trying to split hairs. We didn't need those players. And if you think that someone that's ranked 83rd on their board is someone we would take at the 45th pick because "he's a need" you are seriously mistaken. You don't get good that way. We drafted for need pretty much all the time during the drought and it didn't do much of anything. If he drafts a need player, I guarantee that player is also the best on their board at the time and if it's not, he will pick another player that is

Edited by Buffalo03

17 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm not trying to split hairs. We didn't need those players. And if you think that someone that's ranked 83rd on their board is someone we would take at the 45th pick because "he's a need" you are seriously mistaken. You don't get good that way. We drafted for need pretty much all the time during the drought and it didn't do much of anything. If he drafts a need player, I guarantee that player is also the best on their board at the time and if it's not, he will pick another player that is

Okay.  I disagree.

Entering 2022, our outside CB's were Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis. We needed a CB.  And we drafted a CB in the first round.

Entering 2021, our DE's were an older than dirt Jerry Hughes on the last year of his deal, and an older than dirt Mario Addison in year 2 of his frontloaded contract. We needed DE's. And we drafted two of them in the first and second round

I can go on and on lol. This is just silly.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Okay.  I disagree.

Entering 2022, our outside CB's were Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis. We needed a CB.  And we drafted a CB in the first round.

Entering 2021, our DE's were an older than dirt Jerry Hughes on the last year of his deal, and an older than dirt Mario Addison in year 2 of his frontloaded contract. We needed DE's. And we drafted two of them in the first and second round

I can go on and on lol. This is just silly.

I've already acknowledged 2021 was more of a need based drafted about 3 times already. Bringing it up again is completely pointless. Yes, Elam was a need but again, was the last player with a first round grade on their board. Which also means best player on their board at the time. And Tre' was still on the roster, just hurt and there was also a run on CBs going as well but Beane stated, he was the best player on their board. We are not going to see eye to eye on this so we might as well just stop talking about it

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I've already acknowledged 2021 was more of a need based drafted about 3 times already. Bringing it up again is completely pointless. Yes, Elam was a need but again, was the last player with a first round grade on their board. Which also means best player on their board at the time. And Tre' was still on the roster, just hurt and there was also a run on CBs going as well but Beane stated, he was the best player on their board. We are not going to see eye to eye on this so we might as well just stop talking about it

Because you said "they usually aren't our top picks," and then followed it up with "Yes Beane did use two firsts and a second on team needs in the last two years but he doesn't draft for need, especially not with our top picks."

Lmao.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Because you said "they usually aren't our top picks," and then followed it up with "Yes Beane did use two firsts and a second on team needs in the last two years but he doesn't draft for need, especially not with our top picks."

Lmao.

I said a lot of GMs do it in earlier rounds, not Beane specifically and I said if he does draft a need player in the early rounds, it's still the best player available. You only seem to refer to the last 2 drafts. I'm talking about everything he has done since taking over. Elam was the last player on the board with a first round grade. Can you tell me what the translation to that means?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I said a lot of GMs do it in earlier rounds, not Beane specifically and I said if he does draft a need player in the early rounds, it's still the best player available. You only seem to refer to the last 2 drafts. I'm talking about everything he has done since taking over. Elam was the last player on the board with a first round grade. Can you tell me what the translation to that means?

Yes Brandon Beane drafted a player in the first round and then told us all after the draft that he was their last first round grade. That’s not the level of evidence you think it is.

Do you think Beane would have ever said “we had a early second round grade on Elam but we needed him so we reached a bit?”

This is the “Whaley had a first round grade on Shaq AND Ragland” argument all over again lol.

You are just so afraid to say he drafts for need. It’s okay. I think it’s fine and it’s not an indictment (The Bills are pretty good you know). Just say it lol

Edited by FireChans

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes Brandon Beane drafted a player in the first round and then told us all after the draft that he was their last first round grade. That’s not the level of evidence you think it is.

Do you think Beane would have ever said “we had a early second round grade on Elam but we needed him so we reached a bit?”

This is the “Whaley had a first round grade on Shaq AND Ragland” argument all over again lol.

You are just so afraid to say he drafts for need. It’s okay. I think it’s fine and it’s not an indictment (The Bills are pretty good you know). Just say it lol

I'm still telling you, Elam was the best player on our board when we made the pick. My argument this whole time has been, when you draft for need, to me that means reaching on guys you shouldn't take when you take them but do so because of need. Beane hasn't done that. Not every player taken in earlier round has been a need and if he has, it's still been the best player on the board at the time he made it. He wouldn't have taken Elam if he had a 3rd round grade on him

17 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm still telling you, Elam was the best player on our board when we made the pick. My argument this whole time has been, when you draft for need, to me that means reaching on guys you shouldn't take when you take them but do so because of need. Beane hasn't done that. Not every player taken in earlier round has been a need and if he has, it's still been the best player on the board at the time he made it. He wouldn't have taken Elam if he had a 3rd round grade on him

How would you know that?

Another caveat I’ll throw out there is even if you have a roster with 22 legit NFL starters already in place, if you have a chance to grab a blue chip future star you do it, regardless of position, regardless of need or not. Playmaker is always a position of need anyway. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.